Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 68614 times)

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #375 on: December 10, 2021, 01:49:30 AM »
Nice. First time I read a shortened version with explanations of the old/Karelian vocabulary explained. These days I listen to sung Kalevala or read it online. Oh and I got Mauri Kunnas' dog-version for my sister's kids. Well, I don't think Lönnrot invented words, but I dare say he invented some grammar by combining potential and conditional. Using -vi for third person singular and -hVn for genitive would be old Finnish. The genitive still holds in Mies- miehen. Other words ending with -s lost the h but kept the vowel - like kirves - kirveen.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »
Oh and I got Mauri Kunnas' dog-version for my sister's kids.
... wait, what? O_O
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #377 on: February 22, 2022, 08:58:03 AM »
... wait, what? O_O

So you're not familiar with Mauri Kunnas, a Finnish children's author? Koirien Kalevala is just one of the works.
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Foshadowfax

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #378 on: April 28, 2022, 12:57:45 PM »
I'm new to learning Finnish - I've been noodling around with it for about a year. I do at least one Duolingo lesson a day, as well as go through some flash cards. I've been reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in Finnish (with an English copy nearby because I frequently get stuck). I have also started reading the Hobbit in Finnish because, wow is it beautiful and I've read the book more times than I can count. I am constantly looking words up and am definitely in the elementary levels but am having tons of fun! My ultimate goal is to read the gorgeous 1935 copy of the Kalevala (in Finnish) that I found in my favorite used book store. Last year, when I started teaching myself Finnish, I stumbled across SSSS.

I've had trouble finding places where people talk about learning Finnish, so it's great to find this community.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hi I'm pretty new to studying finnish too. I've been learning on my own over the last 1-2 years using multiple sources, including Suomen Mestari.
Native: English
Speaks: Spanish, German
Learning: Finnish, Swedish