Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 68620 times)

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2015, 07:38:50 PM »
Lets just hope that we won't sound like we're reading from books when we finish.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Lalligaattori

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 09:25:54 AM »
think I'm going to have to put that in my sig, if you don't mind?

go for it! or maybe something even more alliterative like 'the calamitous causeway to comic comprehension'...
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

native: :uk:
ok: :germany:
not learning: :finland:
rusty and woefully neglected: :france:
the start of something beautiful: :spain:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 01:41:40 AM »
Minulla on pää kipeä.

*whiiiiiiine*
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2015, 05:21:20 AM »
Well, I've had this in my bookmarks for long time, maybe you'd find it useful.
Noh, minulla on ollut tämä kirjanmerkeissä pitkän aikaa, ehkä teille on siitä hyötyä.
http://users.jyu.fi/~pamakine/kieli/suomi/sisallysen.html

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
After reading this thread through I'd like to point out that Finnish sheep say "Mää". It's also the word that in the Turku dialect means I/me.

Reindeers don't say much anything most of the time. In the Spring the mother reindeers and their little calves(?) (vasa in Finnish) call for each other in a throaty voice called "roukuminen" in Finnish. It sounds a little like a pig grunting but the sound carries much further. In the Autumn the male reindeers make a noice like clearing their throats when looking for females to mate with.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Laufeysdóttir

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »
hiya! heippa! really happy to see there's a Finnish learners' thread here now. Even with real Finnish people to correct us. cool stuff. :-D

ok, then. let the embarrassment commence...

Olin Keskisuomessa 20 vuotta sitten (milloin tulin niin vanhaksi??). Mä en muista paljon suomea. (actually, people did say mää where I was, too. feel silly writing it now though as my Finnish is so bad!!) Mutta ymmärrän vielä enemmän kuin osan sanoa. Mulla ei ole aikaa opiskella mutta haluaisin reactivate all that lost knowledge (ok. I give up. some natives please help. apua!!!)

you don't even want to know how long it took me to write this. please tell me there's a secret technique / magic potion to revive those withered synapses...

I also never know what to write in situations like this. Maybe we can ask each other questions?  :-)

(()) (())

Cancvas

• Middle aged potbellied grump.
  • Preferred pronouns: hän
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »

That went nicely and was perfectly understandable :)

I'll try to help. First of all, if you had working knowledge of spoken finnish, written learning isn't all thet helpfull.
Koetan auttaa. Ensinnäkin, jos olet osannut puhua suomea, ei kirjoitetun opettelu ole välttämättä niin hyödyllistä.

"Mulla ei ole aikaa opiskella mutta haluaisin reactivate all that lost knowledge "
"... haluaisin kerrata unohtamaani."
tai
"...haluaisin palauttaa mieleen hukkaamani taidon."

-C
Native: :fi:
Adequate: :gb: / :us:, Administrative: :se:
Studied: :de:
Considering :fr:
Being friendly cost nothing and often pays off. Just spice it with grain of salt.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
Laufeysdóttir, your Finnish is startlingly if not outright scarily good for someone who hasn't used the language for years.
Laufeysdóttir, suomesi on ällistyttävän ellei suorastaan pelottavan hyvää tullakseen ihmiseltä, joka ei ole käyttänyt kieltä vuosiin.

There's no magic potion alas (I'd really need some for my own language studies too), but I've found that reading books is a great help in learning languages and also keeping them in memory. You just need to find something you like reading.
Taikajuomaa ei valitettavasti ole (tarvitsisin totisesti sellaista omiin kieliopintoihinikin), mutta olen todennut, että kirjojen lukeminen on suureksi avuksi kieltä opetellessa ja muistissa pitäessä. On vain löydettävä jotain, jonka lukemisesta pitää.

Writing helps too of course. I'm shamelessly using this forum to activate my English ;)
Kirjoittaminen auttaa myös totta kai. Käytän häpeämättömästi tätä foorumia englanninkieleni aktivoimiseen ;)
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Laufeysdóttir

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »
Cancvas ja Pessi, kiitos paljon vastauksista!! *blushing as I'm typing this* (can't handle compliments)

mä en pysty kirjoittaa paljon suomea tänään (liian väsynyt) - in a way I am cheating anyway: I'm only writing what I remember, so you don't see all the things I don't know...

btw, does anyone know of a decent Finnish grammar book or website? I have some serious brushing up to do...

kiitos ja hyvää yötä.
(()) (())

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
Just thought I'd put this here... Learning Finnish with Sara...

/>
(bonus cute puppy near the end.)
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Laufeysdóttir

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
wow, that woman was a bit bonkers. o.O (entertaining, though!)

and I must have been really tired not to notice the link Cancvas left in an earlier post... (kiitos viestistä!!)

...back to revising...
(()) (())

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 09:24:40 PM »
Here I am, not participating at all but showing up when I need help.

Wild friendly Finns, if any of you are around and inclined to assist me, I need help finding information about a singing course, or rather a series of them.  Specifically I'd like to know if any are suitable for teenagers, and what languages they are taught in.

Here is the website, hopefully the right page:
www.joutsenonopisto.fi/yksinlaulun-ja-saestyksen-kurrsi/

And an informational pdf:
www.joutsenonopisto.fi/wp-content/blogs.dir/4/files/2011/12/Taidekesa_2015_web.pdf

I did email the contact person but she only sent me an application form in Engish that didn't have any more information.  I am not sure she understood my questions and I don't know that she would appreciate me asking the same things again. 

Kiitos ja kiitos!  (I bet "please and thank you" doesn't really translate that neatly)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:28:18 PM by Ann Marie »

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2015, 05:23:18 AM »
The link took me to a page that said what I'm searching for does not exist, but using their own search engine brought me to a page about singing and accompaniment courses which I guess is the right one. Underneath is a somewhat clumsy translation. I found nothing about the preferred age of participants or languages to be used in teaching in here or in the pdf brochure.

LAULUN MESTARIKURSSI, YKSINLAULUKURSSI – ÄÄNENMUODOSTUKSEN JA TULKINNAN, LIEDIN JA OOPPERAN KURSSI SEKÄ SÄESTYKSEN KURSSI
MASTER COURSE OF SINGING, SOLO SINGING COURSE - COURSES OF VOICE FORMULATION AND RENDITION(?), LIED AND OPERA AND AN ACCOMPANIMENT COURSE
18.-24.7.2015
July 18th - 24th 2015

Kohderyhmä
Focus group
Musiikinopiskelijat ja laulajat sekä pianistiopiskelijat
Students of music and singers as well as pianist students

LAULUN MESTARIKURSSI
MASTER COURSE OF SINGING

Franz Lukasovsky, Wienin musiikkiyliopisto
Franz Lukasovsky, Music University of Wien
Kurssille otetaan kuusi laulajaa. (Kurssilla on pianisti valmiina)
Six singers will be taken on the course. (The course has it's own pianist)

LAULU
SINGING
Jorma Elorinne, Timo Honkonen, Sirkka Parviainen, Johanna Tuomi ja Sirkku Wahlroos
List of teacher's names

ENSEMBLE
ENSEMBLE
Ville Enckelmann Düsseldorfin Deutsche Oper am Rheinista pitää kaksipäiväisen oopperaensemblekurssin (ke-to). Kiinnostuneiden toivotaan muodostavan ensembleja ja valmistavan ohjelmistoa joko ennen kurssia tai kurssin alkupäivinä
Ville Enckelmann from Düsselforf's Deutsche Oper am Rhein gives a two day opera ensemble course (wed - thu). Those interested in participating are asked to form ensembles and prepare some repertoire either before the course or at it's beginning.

ITALIALAINEN AARIA
ITALIAN ARIA
Ritva Auvinen pitää kolmipäiväisen italialaisen aarian kurssin (ma-ke). Pianistina kurssilla Tero Valtonen.
Ritva Auvinen gives a three day course on Italian aria (mon - wed). Tero Valtonen will be playing piano on the course.

SÄESTYS
ACCOMPANIMENT
Heikki Pellinen ja Pia Värri
Teacher's names

Yksinlaulukurssin kanssa yhteistyössä toimii säestyksen kurssi, jossa pianisti saa opetusta kurssin luokkatunneilla ja toimii duoparina laulajille, jolloin kurssimaksu korvautuu työnä.  Pianistiksi voi hakeutua myös ilman ”omaa” säestettävää.
Cooperating with the solo singing course will be an accompaniment course, on which pianist will receive teaching on the course's classroom lessons and act as a duo pair for singers thus paying the course fee through working. It is possible to apply on the course even without "own" singer to accompany.

Hakeminen
Applying
Opiston kotisivujen kautta sähköisesti, esitteen hakemuslomakkeella tai tulostettavalla lomakkeella 30.4. mennessä.
Through web, using the form attached to the brochure or using a printed form by April the 30th

Kurssimaksut
Course fees

A-hinta 510€
A-price 510€

B-hinta 400€
B-price 400€

C-hinta 570€
C-price 570€

A-hinta= maksuun sisältyy opetus, aamiainen, lounas, päiväkahvi, iltaruokailu ja asuminen kahden hengen huoneessa
A-price= the fee includes teaching, breakfast, lunch, afternoon coffee, supper and accommodation in a two person's room.
B-hinta = maksuun sisältyy opetus, lounas ja päiväkahvi
B-price = the fee includes teaching, lunch and afternoon coffee
C-hinta= sama muuten kuin a-hinta, mutta majoitus 1hh
C-price= same as a-price exept accommodation in a one person room.

p.s. I sent them a message asking about the teaching languages and preferred age of participants. Let's see if they answer questions in Finnish any easier ;)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:34:48 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2015, 02:02:33 PM »
So "laulu" means "singing."  What a pretty word -- very onomatopoeic!  (And important in Finnish culture.)

I've learned about my 6th word in Finnish now.  This discussion benefits even the lurkers!  :) Thanks for sharing your expertise. 

The link took me to a page that said what I'm searching for does not exist, but using their own search engine brought me to a page about singing and accompaniment courses which I guess is the right one. Underneath is a somewhat clumsy translation. I found nothing about the preferred age of participants or languages to be used in teaching in here or in the pdf brochure.

LAULUN MESTARIKURSSI
MASTER COURSE OF SINGING

LAULU
SINGING
Jorma Elorinne, Timo Honkonen, Sirkka Parviainen, Johanna Tuomi ja Sirkku Wahlroos
List of teacher's names
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »
Pessi, thank you so much!  I typed the other post on my phone so I probably made some errors in the url.

I'm seeing now I have two sites open with similar courses, one in Jyväskylä and one in Joutsenon. 

http://www.kangasniemenmusiikkiviikot.fi/laulun_kesa-akatemia.php

http://www.joutsenonopisto.fi/yksinlaulun-ja-saestyksen-kurssi/

I just got email from one of them... uh.  The Joutsenon one, saying she should go ahead and apply.  The less informative email was from the Jyväskylä contact.  I need to discuss with my husband and my daughter's teacher whether this looks better than coming home for the last couple weeks of opera camp. 

eeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!  This might really happen.  I need to get back to studying!

ps Sunflower, I agree that is a beautiful word.  :-)  Finnish has lots of them!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:26:51 PM by Ann Marie »