Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 67551 times)

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 01:54:35 AM »
I'm sorry, sorry!  I want to keep up with at least this one topic on forums and I'm having trouble already. 

Thank you all for the links!  There will hopefully be something for everyone in there. 

Wanted to add that I listen to Finnish radio (Radio Suomi, or more often Yle Puhe) regularly, and though I can't understand very much I think it's helping with pronunciation.  I can't stream audio at home but it works well on my phone where there's a good signal.

Jayen_aitch, do you live in Finland? Or did your Finnish half demand to have a sauna wherever you are? 

Partofacitygiant, is Karelian much different than Finnish?  I honestly don't know if it would be more like Finnish or Russian... er.
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 05:27:57 AM »
Starfallz, that tumblr page is great!  And new to me, yay and thank you!  BTW I found your tumblr the other day, from a link on here I think?  Maybe an art thread, and your drawings are fantastic and I'm stalking you now. 

There's a whole bunch more loanwords from russian than in finnish, but quite a lot of the vocabulary is almost like some thick eastern dialect of finnish, with some different grammar and sounds. There are also plenty words that are neither derived from finnish or russian. I can usually manage reading some sentences in an article but the intonation is so weird I mostly can't understand what's being said. Someone said it's like hearing Scots mixed with occasional Gaelic words would be to an English person, don't know of the validity of the claim.

That makes sense, actually.  Why are you learning it? 

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 05:57:41 AM »
POACG!  I was just checking news before bed and saw this:  http://yle.fi/uutiset/karelian_news_service_begins_at_yle/7835163

Thought I'd pass it on in case you hadn't seen it yet.

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »
Starfallz, that tumblr page is great!  And new to me, yay and thank you!  BTW I found your tumblr the other day, from a link on here I think?  Maybe an art thread, and your drawings are fantastic and I'm stalking you now. 

Oh gosh, thank you!
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Lalligaattori

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
sooo my current finnish learning tactic is watching muumilaakson tarinoita (i.e. moomins)

it's a great way to get an ear for the language, and being a kids cartoon it's pretty easy to follow even w/o subtitles. plus it's the perfect excuse for watching cartoons in your pajamas and generally pretending to be a child on a saturday morning.

aaand it's a part of genuine, traditional finnish culture (achievement unlocked: sophistication) so what's not to like?

presently available at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8yxjwVNlj65gfAAkLemzw
(warning: previous channel to host episodes of muumilaakson tarinoita had all episodes thereof deleted so they might not be here for long)

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9:

native: :uk:
ok: :germany:
not learning: :finland:
rusty and woefully neglected: :france:
the start of something beautiful: :spain:

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 10:17:33 PM »
sooo my current finnish learning tactic is watching muumilaakson tarinoita (i.e. moomins)

it's a great way to get an ear for the language, and being a kids cartoon it's pretty easy to follow even w/o subtitles. plus it's the perfect excuse for watching cartoons in your pajamas and generally pretending to be a child on a saturday morning.

aaand it's a part of genuine, traditional finnish culture (achievement unlocked: sophistication) so what's not to like?

presently available at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm8yxjwVNlj65gfAAkLemzw
(warning: previous channel to host episodes of muumilaakson tarinoita had all episodes thereof deleted so they might not be here for long)

Cool idea!

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 03:18:27 AM »
PoaCG, those are good reasons!  And very interesting history to go with them.

Lalligaattori, that is a brilliant idea and I'm going to try to dl some Moomins next time I have decent net.  I've somehow never seen any, and only read a little (in English).

OK!  And for everyone, there's something I've been wanting to do, and I think it might be more fun as a group:  read aRTD in the original language.  Anyone want to try?  We can do a page a day, something like that?

Lalligaattori

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
OK!  And for everyone, there's something I've been wanting to do, and I think it might be more fun as a group:  read aRTD in the original language.  Anyone want to try?  We can do a page a day, something like that?

yesss! though maybe 2-3 pages a day (depending how much text/page) so it doesn't take like a 2 years to get through it :P

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 03:30:19 AM »
OK!  I think I will start another thread for that, and maybe more people will join in.  Wheeeeeeheeeeheeeee.  Or maybe we should work out how we're going to manage it first?  Are there rules?  Is it fair to reference the English version?  Or should we rely only on a dictionary and whatever grammar we can look up/figure out?  I've never done this kind of thing before.

BTW Lalligaattori (cute name!) I see you've made two posts, and they are both in this thread.  I think they customarily hand out cookies (of indeterminate squirrel content) in the intro thread in the general discussion forum.  You should go nab some; I hear they're ... tasty?  or fibrous, one of those.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:40:37 AM by Ann Marie »

Lalligaattori

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »
hmmm.... maybe we should prescribe guidelines, so try to read the page unaided first, then use a dictionary or google, then the english version as a last resort? Then the forum can be used to dissect grammar/words/phrases which are tricky/interesting/of-note. and if we're lucky a wild, kindly finn will appear now and then, and set us straight on the long road to comic comprehension.

and having written that, i think "the long road to comic comprehension" would serve as an excellent tagline.

BTW Lalligaattori (cute name!)

thanks!
on a different-but-actually-more-relevent-to-this-particular-thread note, i got the name from Eläinsanasto (https://nensarjakuvat.wordpress.com/elainsanasto/), which is a wonderful place for those who love both finnish and puns

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 12:13:28 AM »
That sounds sensible to me!

and having written that, i think "the long road to comic comprehension" would serve as an excellent tagline.

I think I'm going to have to put that in my sig, if you don't mind?

on a different-but-actually-more-relevent-to-this-particular-thread note, i got the name from Eläinsanasto (https://nensarjakuvat.wordpress.com/elainsanasto/), which is a wonderful place for those who love both finnish and puns

OMGosh that is fabulous.  I'm surprised at how many I actually get!

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 11:53:51 AM »
Hei! Hauska tavata! Mitä kuuluu? Minulle kuuluu hyvää. Minun nimeni on Auleliel. Minä olen ihminen. Minä en puhu suomea. Mitä kello on? Kello on viisi minuuttia vaille kaksi.

And that's about how much I've learned so far, but someday I'll know enough to read ARTD. I hope...
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »
Terve!  I don't know enough to read aRTD, either, but you learn faster by doing?  Right?  *hopes*