General > Language Board

Language learning discussion

(1/55) > >>

Nimphy:
I think we also need a discussion board for us learners. Post your progress, complain about the language you're learning, gloat about those new words that you learned and the fact that you can now write your name in Russian or Chinese.

I'll start off. While I love both German and Norwegian, and I literally squeak every single time my "teachers" send me their new lesson, I'm starting to get just a little bit frustrated by all the grammatical rules. Truth be told, the grammatical rules are also relaxing, as there are not many exceptions... But still. So many grammatical rules.

And I'm also going to complain about that darn "ch" sound in German, which I have no idea how I should pronounce. I'm going to gloat about the fact that I could understand Steller's introduction in German (and learned a new word, Kanninchen) and that I can understand Norwegian fairly well by reading once or twice. I'm also very asleep.

Random sleepy observation - why do some people keep saying that German and Norwegian (German mostly) are "harsh" languages and sometimes even "ugly"? They've got their own kind of beauty  :(

ThisCat:

--- Quote from: Nimphy on November 08, 2014, 07:06:25 PM ---Random sleepy observation - why do some people keep saying that German and Norwegian (German mostly) are "harsh" languages and sometimes even "ugly"? They've got their own kind of beauty  :(

--- End quote ---

Thank you.
I happen to love my language, and if I had to choose a language to learn, it would be German. Maybe it has a bit of a roughness to it, but it is completely possible to be rough, yet elegant. Like blacksmith jewelry. Beautiful and powerful.

mithrysc:

--- Quote from: Nimphy on November 08, 2014, 07:06:25 PM ---...you can now write your name in Russian or Chinese.

--- End quote ---

I can write my name in Chinese :P but it doesn't really count because I can't do anything else. If ever, I can write my name in quite a few different writing systems or alphabets (I really love different writing systems), but only have very very vague notions about the language, which is unfortunate.

Right now I'm schlepping through Norwegian, though I'm only at the beginning of the figurative journey. So far the grammar doesn't seem to be too bad, but that's probably just my newbie-ness. That or my comparing it to Latin grammar. But rest assured, I will soon reach the point where I will, too, be squeaking at every new rule. Not so many exceptions sound nice, though.

Eich:
Well, I just so happened to start looking at a Norwegian thing online a couple days ago, and might be looking at it right now, sooooooo... yeah.  Hopefully, this will be a good place for me to use it, and maybe learn a little bit better by talking with y'all, once I learn enough to start having actual conversations.

Also, totally agree.  The Germans at work talk in their language sometimes, and it sounds really nice. 

Nimphy:

--- Quote from: ThisCat on November 08, 2014, 07:10:49 PM ---Thank you.
I happen to love my language, and if I had to choose a language to learn, it would be German. Maybe it has a bit of a roughness to it, but it is completely possible to be rough, yet elegant. Like blacksmith jewelry. Beautiful and powerful.

--- End quote ---

Heh, I get a lot of weird stares when I say that German is sweet, from a certain point of view, that Russian is elegant, that there's more to Czech than just consonants over consonants, that. All languages are beautiful, each in their own way. To me, both German and Norwegian (and generally all Germanic languages) are very relaxing. They are not as "Akzzkakzakzkakz" as Italians make them out to be, they're more like... Uhm, running water. I don't know if that makes any sense. To my ears, they're really soft (especially for the lack of loud sounds and high-pitched vowels)... Like... You know, running water...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version