Author Topic: Books!  (Read 121970 times)

Prizrachniy_Gek

• Veta
Re: Books!
« Reply #645 on: January 15, 2018, 01:29:35 PM »
Iceea, I'm very glad that you will enjoy this book. I really love this author, as he tells his stories, so simple and at the same time magical that I immediately want to share them with other people.

I usually use my holidays to immerse myself in the world of books, but this time I had other plans, so I read only three. On the train, I read a very nice study about the music by Tim Raybone. In the book, he easily and cheerfully tells how the musicians died and in some cases what happened to them after that. He also tells a little about musical directions and how they changed in time. All this is extremely interesting. I hope that in Russia his other books will be translated.

This year I made a promise to start reading in English, so now I read an easy version of the legends about King Arthur and the knights of the round table. Perhaps it's because of the retelling, but as a child, King Arthur seemed to me more ... smart ... a character. But anyway, it's very interesting! There are not more than a hundred pages in this book, and I will soon finish it. But a more complete collection is already coming to me. Seriously, I'm very happy, because before that I tried to read in English, but it was the Little Princess, and frankly, she was putting me into a longing. And here I can swear which characters are narrow. Sometimes.
Fluent: :russia:
Learning: :germany: :sweden: :uk:
Understand, but  say is not very good: :ukraine: :germany:

Mr_Plinkett

« Reply #646 on: February 15, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
Of anyone wants a great book. The Brothers Karamazov is simply amazing. 10/10

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #647 on: February 15, 2018, 06:47:29 PM »
Hi my name is Vi and I have a book addiction.

Right now I am addicted to anything and everything by Octavia Butler. I haven't read anything by her yet, I'm in the middle of fledgling right now. My favourite so far has been Lilith's Brood. I find it such an interesting collection of stories and the culture of the alien race in it is fascinating. I highly highly recommend her books to everyone. Also if anyone wants to fangirl over her books pm me.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #648 on: February 24, 2018, 08:40:17 PM »
Of anyone wants a great book. The Brothers Karamazov is simply amazing. 10/10

I thought you might enjoy this jewel by shitposter maestro Loulogio:

If you don't speak spanish, Plinkett, I'll translate it for you, just ask.
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #649 on: February 24, 2018, 10:54:00 PM »
Antillanka, I take it the whole thing was dubbed in. The speaking parts are from other sources synced to the video clips? I'd be interested in a translation of the section from 0:51 to 1:45 if it's not too much trouble.
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Antillanka

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
« Reply #650 on: February 26, 2018, 10:46:50 AM »
Antillanka, I take it the whole thing was dubbed in. The speaking parts are from other sources synced to the video clips? I'd be interested in a translation of the section from 0:51 to 1:45 if it's not too much trouble.

Hahaha, absolutely dubbed of course!

Popular pretty girl (let's call her Nina), spots her friend and approaches joyfully: Hello, Chufi! Will you come with me for drinks?
Chufi (snarky): What do you pretend? Cause' I know what you've been saying about Dostoievski... That he's self-complacent, that his structure is redundant... FUA!
(awkward pause)
Nina: I didn't say that. I just said that The Brothers Karamazov is a piece a bit...
Chufi cuts in: Yeah, yeah, cold and lacking narrative rhythm... ugh, you disgust me. (stands to leave)
Nina: Well, you know what I tell you?! That Dostoievski is-is- grandiloquent!
Chufi: DON'T YOU DARE TO TALK LIKE THAT ABOUT FYODOR!!! He's the author to the best overture for existentialism ever written!!! The best connoisseur of the human soul of all times!!! And one of the pinnacles of universal literature! (turns and exits, dramatic music)

XD XD XD I just love Loulogio and his talent to take shallow shows and dub them with deep cultural gibberish
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #651 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08:45 PM »
Thank you Antillanka. That's quite the conversation. I have to confess I've never gotten into Russian literature. Growing up in the 50's and 60's Cold War era you didn't get that stuff until college. By then your mind had been, was supposed to have been, correctly molded by "truth (oh really), justice (how much can you afford), and the American way (don't get me started)" to avoid any pinko red menace tendencies.
Just so it's "perfectly clear" that's said very much tongue-in-cheek with much sarcasm and dark humor :'D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:05:04 PM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #652 on: March 06, 2018, 05:48:43 PM »
I definitively love Becky Chambers writing <3 Her characters are so alive !
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #653 on: April 09, 2018, 02:02:54 AM »
I just paid out probably a bit too much money for a copy of Henry's Quest by the great Graham Oakley. This is the book that got me into post-apocalyptic fiction in the first place - without it I probably wouldn't be in the SSSS fandom at all!

Here are a couple of illustrations I found online...

Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #654 on: April 09, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Purple Wyrm: wow.

Now I really want to get ahold of that. -- hey, while it's not in either of the libraries I usually go to, it is in the library system! I could order it.

But am I going to be driven crazy by the fact that

Spoiler: show
gasoline doesn't store in usable condition for all that long, some of the components volatize too easily?

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #655 on: April 09, 2018, 03:40:53 PM »
I just paid out probably a bit too much money for a copy of Henry's Quest by the great Graham Oakley. This is the book that got me into post-apocalyptic fiction in the first place - without it I probably wouldn't be in the SSSS fandom at all!

Here are a couple of illustrations I found online...

I've never even heard of it.  it looks cool!

I somehow missed that Max Gladstone had a new book in the Craft Sequence, The Ruin of Angels, out in September.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #656 on: April 09, 2018, 10:48:56 PM »
gasoline doesn't store in usable condition for all that long, some of the components volatize too easily?

*Hands on ears* Not listening! Not listening! :'D

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #657 on: April 09, 2018, 11:35:28 PM »
Those are some wonderful illustrations, Wyrm!
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #658 on: April 10, 2018, 12:52:44 AM »
Those are some wonderful illustrations, Wyrm!

Graham Oakley is one of my favourite illustrators. His pictures are incredibly full of detail and he seems to be able to summon up a really enjoyable shabbiness, particularly in his Church Mice series.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #659 on: April 10, 2018, 09:15:29 AM »
*Hands on ears* Not listening! Not listening! :'D

I don't suppose the characters would know that, of course. And without reading the book (which I will do if I get the chance, those illustrations are compelling) I don't know whether the author knows that, and winds up allowing for it.