Author Topic: Books!  (Read 123364 times)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
Re: Books!
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
Hmm, I also forgot about that series. I thought it was designed to be a trilogy at first, and when I learned that there were many more books to follow, I thought I'd better wait until the series is finished. (I hate waiting for the next book more than anything ::) ) So far I've read the first three books, I think, and really liked them (I always wanted an intelligent pet dragon like Temeraire).
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
Same for me (they were the first Fantasy books I read). I think its mostly the characters, dialogue and writing in general. I've always found them to be very easy to read (both the Norwegian translation and the original English). I keep getting back to the series with some 3-4 years in between.

oh my gosh i thought i was the only one who did this. the belgariad and the malloreon were pretty much my very first fantasy series. i wonder if it would be easy to find a copy in translation to as a language learning aid?
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 05:08:25 PM »
So I was in the library the other day, and came across a Temeraire book I hadn't read yet. And then I realised I'd forgotten all about that series for years. Now I'm on a rereading mission, heheh.

For those of you that love fantasy, and love dragons, and love history (but not for pedantic peoples - history is changed here), the Temeraire series is very good. It's set in the time of the Napoleonic wars (the first, I think...urgh, it's been a while) from the British perspective, and the entire premise of the series is how the world would be if sentient dragons existed throughout history. I've been enjoying the latest book immensely - it brings in a very interesting concept, but no spoilers here~
Hm, sounds interesting. I'll look into it.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 06:03:05 AM »
Well, having read the first 7 Temeraire books, there doesn't yet seem to be an end in sight. If she's following the timeline of the original Napoleonic wars, there's at the least 5 more years to go, so quite a few more books to come. That's if she's planning to end them at the end of the wars.

I was wondering, does anyone else here read Yu Wo's books (Legend of the Sun Knight, Gong Hua, Kill No More, etc.)? Or other Taiwanese/Chinese light novels, like Legend of the Sunken Moon or Unique Legend?
Am notified of private messages via email.

Elrew

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 05:41:55 PM »
I really need to go back to the library to get all these books but... I think they want to kill me. My family all uses my card so my little brother took out 4 books last summer. I don't dare go back, the shame! I don't want to find out how much they're going to fine me...
Anyway, I'd recommend the Wool trilogy by Hugh Howey. I can't find words to descrive the genre; dystopian maybe? The first two books are brilliant, the third one seemed a little rushed but I enjoyed it anyway. There's such good character development and the narrative keeps changing to focus on different people. It's so so good!
In regard to all the fantasy, I recently rediscovered Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz. It's still as spooky as I remember it...

Fenris

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
oh my gosh i thought i was the only one who did this. the belgariad and the malloreon were pretty much my very first fantasy series. i wonder if it would be easy to find a copy in translation to as a language learning aid?
I know they've been translated to all the nordic languages at least, but not sure how easy it would be the find copies. I checked out some online Swedish and Norwegian book stores, and while they had the books, they only had the English editions for some reason. I know most libraries have the series though. My local library has the Belgariad in its Norwegian translations, but the Malloreon in English.

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 05:55:41 PM »
In regard to all the fantasy, I recently rediscovered Raven's Gate by Anthony Horowitz. It's still as spooky as I remember it...
EEEEEEE! *hug tackles* I love that series! R.Gate is my favorite! I still call scary old ladies "Mrs Deveril" (or however it's spelt) haha
But I'm too chicken to read the last book U___U I accidentally saw the spoilers and I've decided that the end of Necropolis is fiiiiiiiiiiiiine..... O____O
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »
Aaaah I read that Anthony Horowitz series back when it had no ending. I need to reread it. It took him so long to get that last book out, no wonder I forgot about it >.> Also, has anyone read that last Alex Rider book? About Yassen Gregorovitch? Loved that, I always liked Yassen best and wanted to know more about him.

I just finished reading the last book to Catherine Jinks's Genius trilogy. SO GOOD ;;_;; I'm not really a fan of many Australian authors, but she is one of those few I admire (D. M. Cornish being another - anyone else read his Monster Blood Tattoo series? I believe they censored the series title to The Foundling's Tale or something in the American editions).
Am notified of private messages via email.

Elrew

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
EEEEEEE! *hug tackles* I love that series! R.Gate is my favorite! I still call scary old ladies "Mrs Deveril" (or however it's spelt) haha
But I'm too chicken to read the last book U___U I accidentally saw the spoilers and I've decided that the end of Necropolis is fiiiiiiiiiiiiine..... O____O
I'd heard quite a few spoilers before reading it (most of them from the writer himself in an interview). I was in a dilemma about whether to read it; I like the characters nice and alive, thank you very much. I eventually decided that I couldn't resist more Pedro cuteness. :3
Aaaah I read that Anthony Horowitz series back when it had no ending. I need to reread it. It took him so long to get that last book out, no wonder I forgot about it >.> Also, has anyone read that last Alex Rider book? About Yassen Gregorovitch? Loved that, I always liked Yassen best and wanted to know more about him.
That's on my 'to read' list. Whenever I'm in a book shop, they have all the books the first one!

tedlar

• you're old when you start to choose your battles
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »
I was wondering, does anyone else here read Yu Wo's books (Legend of the Sun Knight, Gong Hua, Kill No More, etc.)? Or other Taiwanese/Chinese light novels, like Legend of the Sunken Moon or Unique Legend?
Kill No More, Legendary moonlight scultor, Shield Hero, Re:monster
first I find the manga/manhua then I read the light novel, then others light novels on the same site, then...

I just finished reading the last book to Catherine Jinks's Genius trilogy. SO GOOD ;;_;; I'm not really a fan of many Australian authors, but she is one of those few I admire (D. M. Cornish being another - anyone else read his Monster Blood Tattoo series?
Loved the Tomorrow series:
a series of 7 young adult invasion novels written by Australian writer John Marsden, detailing the invasion and occupation of Australia by a foreign power. The novels are related from the first person perspective by Ellie Linton, a teenage girl, who is part of a small band of teenagers waging a guerrilla war on the enemy soldiers in the region around their hometown.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_series
sort of an anti-SSSS, with sun, blood and survival... in some ways, many similarities.
:uk: / :france:

Yannick

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss
The Name of the Wind (April 2007)
The Wise Man's Fear (March 2011)
The Doors of Stone (In Progress)
Whatever is created by the spirit is more alive than matter. Charles Baudelaire 1867

:france: 99%  -  :uk: 70%  -   :spain: 30%

EmmaC

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 09:40:45 PM »
I will have to come back and read all your posts to take note of all the awesome books suggestions.

I'm mostly a fan of SF and Fantasy.
Guy Gavriel Kay is one of my fav author, I have all his books. The Fionavar Tapestry is beautiful but 'A song for Arbonne' has my heart for the moment! He writes what I would call fantasy history.
Barbara Hambly and her Fendragon series: fantasy with dragons and witch, and love...
C.J. Cherry with Faded sun and her Ealdwood stories : Faded sun is a mix between fantasy and SF, for me at least and Ealdwood is definitively a fantasy book, well a serie of books.
well, I love lots of authors (We have so many books that no one wants to help us move anymore!)

But right now, the serie I read and read and reread: Malazan book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson with the parallel serie written by Ian Esselmont Novels of the Malazan Empire.
It is in a fantasy setting, more or less but you won't find any dwarves or elves. The magic is very different from what you encounter most of the time and the characters. Ah, the characters: one day you want to kill one and love the other but then you read and you find that you pity the first one and the second is a cruel bastard... Oh yeah. Those books got me good.
Anyone reading them?
Fluent in :france:
Becoming fluent in english from :canada: (I learned there are differences!!!)
A long time ago in a far away galaxy :germany:

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
Books
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
Ah it is yet again 3am where I live and I am kept awake by books, I have just finished Peter V. Brett's Desert Spear and can't wait to move on to the 3rd part of the series.

So my question is, what books do you guys read? What fictional worlds wrapped between paper pages keep you awake and wondering...

Surely I am not the only one that gives up on sleep to read...

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 11:07:40 PM »
The Kingkiller Chronicle, by Patrick Rothfuss
The Name of the Wind (April 2007)
The Wise Man's Fear (March 2011)
The Doors of Stone (In Progress)

Yes but when are The Doors of Stone coming out???? I mean they say 2016, but every year there is a rumour about it...

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 11:13:10 PM »
Oooh, ooh! Had no idea this thread existed, but I should've looked for it.
Has anybody else read anything from the Stormlight Chronicles? Way of Kings? Words of Radiance? How about the Mistborn Trilogy? They've taken their place at the top of my favorite fantasy EVER. Brandon Sanderson's original works are amazing...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:20:18 PM by Adrai Thell »
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.