Author Topic: The Music Thread  (Read 232214 times)

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I'm not a hero... just very stubborn
Re: The Music Thread
« Reply #1695 on: October 23, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
The drafts for my Dragonhost Saga include a list of composers: To Johannes Bornloff, Marcus Warner, Phil Lober, Really Slow Motion, Soundmopi, Thomas Bergerson, and Two Steps From Hell, for stimulating my imagination in the times when it faltered.

I may have to add a couple more.

[/size]
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Yastreb

« Reply #1696 on: October 27, 2020, 04:47:36 AM »
I thought I'd share something that I discovered recently; the closing scene of the film Master and Commander, in which the main characters share a duet on cello and violin; I am now a fan of Luigi Boccherini's La Musica Notturna Delle Strade di Madrid. I've also linked two videos of performances of this piece that I liked.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1697 on: April 22, 2021, 08:33:49 AM »
A beautiful cover of a lovely soundtrack.
Tangentially, do you see the statue in the video as an old man in a robe or an orangutan? Because I’ve always seen the orangutan but apparently it’s supposed to be an old man.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 08:37:05 AM by Anna »
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1698 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:53 PM »
A beautiful cover of a lovely soundtrack.
Tangentially, do you see the statue in the video as an old man in a robe or an orangutan? Because I’ve always seen the orangutan but apparently it’s supposed to be an old man.

I second the Stardew Valley soundtrack recommendation 1000%. And the whole game itself. Lovely, peaceful, cute and heartfelt. And this is a really nice cover of one of my favorite winter tracks.

I . . . you know, I think I've always sort of seen him as both? Whenever I run past him to smack the slimes hiding behind him, one of my eyes sees an old monk man and the other eye sees sort of an orangutan-like figure, and they're superimposed over each other in my brain.

I thought I'd share something that I discovered recently; the closing scene of the film Master and Commander, in which the main characters share a duet on cello and violin; I am now a fan of Luigi Boccherini's La Musica Notturna Delle Strade di Madrid.

I LOVE THIS. My father is a big, big fan of the original book series this film is based off of, and I grew up watching and re-watching Master and Commander with him on VHS. The whole soundtrack is excellent, but I especially love this track you've shared because I remember my dad smiling and nodding along happily with it. Even right now I can see his face and I'm smiling too. Thanks for the memory :)
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Yastreb

« Reply #1699 on: August 16, 2021, 08:06:16 AM »
Here is something of beauty; part of a performance called The Pharaoh's Golden Parade. Watch, listen, and marvel.

[/size]

naclenix

• Super-Newbie
  • I'm tired
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1700 on: February 06, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »
I have been listening to this for the past two weeks.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 01:17:32 PM by naclenix »

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #1701 on: April 04, 2022, 04:30:39 PM »

So BIGBANG have released a music video with their new single, after a hiatus of four years after everyone had to go do military service and Seungri had some stuff collapse around him.

It feels like a snapshot of all their personalities, and a goodbye.

I grew up with these guys. I'd put them on and cry and cry and try and escape what was going on in my life with their music. I'm sitting here sobbing listening to their music again. And man, their stuff is still amazing. It's not one of those music fixations of middle school you look back on and think "okay I see what I liked about this but I've moved way beyond this now", it's legit good stuff.

I feel incredibly sad that they're likely done as a group now, and even if they do continue it'll be lacking one member. It feels like an escapist fairytale dream of childhood is gone, turned into petals in the wind, chapter over. I dunno. I'm glad BIGBANG didn't have something truly tragic happen like with SHINee, and their solo careers are going to be fun to keep following. But I have stuff to think about and mourn.

But here's the new single, and a selection of songs I'd play on repeat for years:

Am notified of private messages via email.

naclenix

• Super-Newbie
  • I'm tired
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1702 on: April 05, 2022, 12:34:57 PM »
I cannot express in words how utterly transcendental an experience I had listening to this song for the first time. It's a folk song written as a ballad, about a knight and a fairy who can turn into a horse (there's a word for them but I've forgotten it). I am not doing justice to it by describing it. Go listen to it, please.

Yastreb

« Reply #1703 on: April 07, 2022, 08:35:06 AM »
Some music from two composers I only recently discovered. These tracks are for those times when you need to listen to something joyful

Andreas Kubler, Together We Are Free

Phil Rey Gibbons, I'll Be There For You

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #1704 on: April 09, 2022, 12:01:42 AM »
I cannot express in words how utterly transcendental an experience I had listening to this song for the first time. It's a folk song written as a ballad, about a knight and a fairy who can turn into a horse (there's a word for them but I've forgotten it). I am not doing justice to it by describing it. Go listen to it, please.

One term for them is "kelpie" - Scottish in origin, I believe.

And yes, this ranks high on my list of all-around favorite songs.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1705 on: April 09, 2022, 08:34:42 AM »
Stan Rogers is a wonderful singer, one of my favourites. This one was actually written by Archie Fisher, who lives out in the country in Scotland and whose job is something mundane that gives him lots of time to make songs in his head…..I think he is a milkman or something of that kind?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yastreb

« Reply #1706 on: May 24, 2022, 07:01:13 AM »
During lockdown, by merest chance I encountered the sea shanty Leave Her, Johnny... which happily drowned out the hip-hop being broadcast from some disagreeable neighbours.
So here's the original version that I heard...

And here's a new version sung by a Mass Choir over Zoom. I found it very touching.

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #1707 on: May 26, 2022, 12:48:40 AM »
That choral version is an astounding and, as you say, touching rendition.
Thanks for posting both those links, Yastreb.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1708 on: May 26, 2022, 06:06:13 AM »
Yastreb, those are beautiful. I remember singing that with Danny, Paul and other now-gone friends. Thanks.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!