General > Language Board

Language-learning resources!

(1/21) > >>

mithrysc:
So, seeing as quite a few of us are trying to learn different languages, we must be learning from somewhere. Any good sites, books, programs, courses, or tips to share? (Preferably include the languages for which the resources are helpful, too.)

Please do not post parents, even if they were the original language-learning resources.  ;)

From previous threads:

General
Duolingo (Spanish, Danish, Irish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Dutch. Swedish is supposedly releasing today)
Memrise (lots of stuff)

Finnish for Foreigners (Finnish, duh)

Nimphy:

--- Quote from: mithrysc on October 30, 2014, 10:07:04 AM ---So, seeing as quite a few of us are trying to learn different languages, we must be learning from somewhere. Any good sites, books, programs, courses, or tips to share? (Preferably include the languages for which the resources are helpful, too.)

Please do not post parents, even if they were the original language-learning resources.  ;)

From previous threads:

General
Duolingo (Spanish, Danish, Irish, French, Italian, German, Portuguese, Dutch. Swedish is supposedly releasing today)
Memrise (lots of stuff)

Finnish for Foreigners (Finnish, duh)

--- End quote ---

I think Duolingo is the best out of the bunch, but Memrise is also very good (taught me a few cyrillic characters which I surely won't forget anytime soon). I recently found this thing called FluentU (Chinese, Spanish, French, English, Italian, German, Japanese) which uses videos in foreign languages to teach you that language. It's worth a shot, I think.

Fen Shen:
I'm learning vocabulary with Babbel, because I can revise on my ipad with the app even without internet connection. But it's not completely for free, you can only access the first lesson from every topic without paying.

woolly socks:
If you want to hear specific words pronounced, http://www.forvo.com/has pretty good libraries of words pronounced by natives on really many languages. You can also submit words you hope someone will pronounce.

I'm reading words in finnish for them every now and then, it's a nice project!

ruth:
netflix! one of the most useful tools i've used so far for learning languages is watching shows on netflix, using the subtitles (in the original language, of course!) not translated to help me listen where the boundaries between words are in normal, casual speech. it's one thing to hear example sentences on duolingo or babbel, but hearing them as they're actually spoken is a bit tougher. already, using wallander and the bridge i feel like i've gotten better at understanding without subtitles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version