Author Topic: Language Introduction thread!  (Read 79457 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Language Introduction thread!
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »
Hi Annuil! I´m also still quite new so I´m not sure whether I´m already in any position to say it, but there´s a regular introduction thread over at the general board too if you want to say hello. :)

Officially I took lessons only for English and French, and the last one (French) after studying it for two years I’m don’t remember it well enough.

The only mistake I noticed was there in that sentence, I think it´s supposed to say "I don´t remember it well enough" instead of "I´m don´t".
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

lumilaulu

« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
Okey, lets start with native (Russian): Я несколько раз была в Финляндии, путешествовала через Швецию и Норвегию, что хорошо мотивирует меня теперь на изучение финского, шведского и датского.

Translation: I’ve been to Finland several times, traveled through Sweden and Norway, which really motivates me to study Finnish, Swedish and Dutch.

My Dutch is too bad to write something normal, at list I can say “I’m Annuil”: Jeg er Annuil!

Did you mean Norwegian instead of Dutch? "Jeg er Annuil" could be Norwegian or Danish, but you only mentioned Norway, so I assume that's what you meant.

I had fun trying to decipher your Russian! It made me happy I got more than just a few words here and there. I've never actually studied Russian, but I can understand a little due to some other Slavic knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 09:28:24 PM by lumilaulu »

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2020, 05:03:18 PM »
Hi Annuil! I´m also still quite new so I´m not sure whether I´m already in any position to say it, but there´s a regular introduction thread over at the general board too if you want to say hello. :)
Hi, Mirasol! Yes, thank you I’ll try to find it!

The only mistake I noticed was there in that sentence, I think it´s supposed to say "I don´t remember it well enough" instead of "I´m don´t".

Oh, yeah, I did that accidentally :'D
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
Did you mean Norwegian instead of Dutch? "Jeg er Annuil" could be Norwegian or Danish, but you only mentioned Norway, so I assume that's what you meant.
No, I meant Danish (wow, these two languages really are close!), sorry for making it complicated! I’ve never been to Denmark, but the reason why I’m trying to learn Danish is that my sister is studying Norwegian, so I’ve started learning Danish to see if we can make a conversation and understand each other!
I had fun trying to decipher your Russian! It made me happy I get more than just a few words here and there. I've never actually studied Russian, but I can understand a little due to some other Slavic knowledge.

Yay! I’m glad! ;D it is an amazing feeling when you actually start to understand a different language, isn’t it?   :D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2020, 06:52:23 PM »
Hello Annuli! The Finnish sentences are ok!

The Introduction Thread is pinned (means it always stays on top of the list) in the General Board! Here is a link to the current newest page of it: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=131.4050

Mirasol, I have no admin/mode/skald power whatsoever but for what it’s worth I think you absolutely have the right to to direct any newbies to the Introduction Thread and give other advice! As long as we are being nice to each other, every contribution adds to the whole!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2020, 09:07:13 PM »
The Introduction Thread is pinned (means it always stays on top of the list) in the General Board! Here is a link to the current newest page of it: https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=131.4050

Mirasol, I have no admin/mode/skald power whatsoever but for what it’s worth I think you absolutely have the right to to direct any newbies to the Introduction Thread and give other advice! As long as we are being nice to each other, every contribution adds to the whole!

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

lumilaulu

« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
No, I meant Danish (wow, these two languages really are close!), sorry for making it complicated! I’ve never been to Denmark, but the reason why I’m trying to learn Danish is that my sister is studying Norwegian, so I’ve started learning Danish to see if we can make a conversation and understand each other!

I like your reason. :haw: With some effort, you should be able to have a mixed-language conversation, but it'll probably be easier to have a written conversation than a spoken one, due to weird way Danish is pronounced.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2020, 04:23:45 PM »
:germany: Hallo im Internet bin ich moredhel. Ich wohne mit meiner Frau und unseren Kindern in Berlin und arbeite in einem Supermarkt. Ich spreche Deutsch und Englisch, verstehe etwas Französisch und Italienisch. Ich kann 한글 lesen verstehe aber kein Koreanisch.

:uk: Hello in the internet I´m moredhel. I live in berlin with my wife and our children. I work in a supermarket. I speak german and english and understand a bit of french and italian. I can read 한글 but i don`t understand korean.

:france: Salut sur l´Internet je suis moredhel. J'habite a berlin avec ma épouse et nos enfants. Je traville dans un supermarché. Je parle allemand et anglais et comprends un peu le francais et l´italien. Je peux lire 한글 mais je ne comprends pas le coréen.

:italy: Ciao su internet sono moredhel. Vivo a Berlino con mia moglie et nostri figli. Lavoro in un supermercato. Parlo tedesco e inglese e capisco un po di francese e italiano. So leggere lo 한글 ma non capisco coreano.

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2021, 09:10:39 PM »
Did the forum-specific language icons break at some point?  O_o
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2021, 01:50:02 AM »
Did the forum-specific language icons break at some point?  O_o
They, and in particular the (BB)code to summon them with, changed at some point - and we never had flags for all the countries/languages in the first place. IIRC (can't find the pertinent admin post right away) we switched from plaintext country names (i.e., ":germany:") to two-letter ISO codes (":de:" -> :de:).
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2021, 03:16:15 AM »
Доброго времени суток. Мы уже знакомы, но я совсем недавно увидел тему представления языков.
Здесь я известен как Мэглор (и ужасно рад, что в молодом поколении тоже есть толчки вроде Аннуиль))). С детства изучаю английский, пару лет - французский (и тоже ничерта не помню). На досуге занимаюсь поэтическими на русский с английского и других языков, если найдётся хороший подстрочник.

Good time o'day. We're acquainted allready, but recently Isaw this Language Intoduction board.
I'm known here as Maglor (and am terribly glad there are still Tolkienists like Annuil in a younger generation))). I've been studying English since my childhood, couple o'years I've been studying French (and can't remember a damn thing too). My hobby is poetical translations to Russian from English and sometimes other languages should I find a good non-rhymed translation.
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

PaperArtillery

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Riflekorporal 1. klasse Johansen
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »
They, and in particular the (BB)code to summon them with, changed at some point - and we never had flags for all the countries/languages in the first place. IIRC (can't find the pertinent admin post right away) we switched from plaintext country names (i.e., ":germany:") to two-letter ISO codes (":de:" -> :de:).
Gotcha. I know I made one for Yiddish a while back, so that probably doesn't work anymore, but meh. Good to know, I thought I was losing my mind.
Eg fekk min siste ordre i frå høgaste befal og han skreik / 170 gå å sjå om det er klart!

:us: EN :de: DE :no: NO :ru: RU :il: JI

:artd::book1+:
:book2::book3::book4:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
Можно ответить по-русски? Потренироваться общаться с людьми (все, с кем я теперь могу говорить по-русски, это моя семья, так что видеть полностью понятный текст на форуме очень приятно ;D) Хотела спросить, почему вы перевели Maglor как Мэглор? Я всегда думала, что в данном случае «а» будет читаться как «а» в обоих языках... (Аннуиль, конечно, не толкиновское имя, я его придумала для героини в моих собственных рассказах, но навеяно оно именно его книгами, их я могу читать бесконечно)))
Перевод поэзии - штука интересная, но по мне так очень сложная  ;) прозу и то переводить непросто.

Translation: Can I reply in Russian? To practice speaking with people (everyone with whom I can speak Russian is my family, so to see a fully comprehensible text on the forum feels rather good) I wanted to ask, why did you translate “Maglor” like «Мэглор»? I always thought that in this situation “a” would be pronounced as “a” in both languages... (Well, Annuil is not Tolkien’s name, I made it up for a character from my own stories, but it surely was inspired by his works, his books I can read for all eternity)))
Translating poetry is an interesting thing, but I feel like it is quite hard. It’s hard to translate even prose.

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2021, 01:27:02 PM »
Если на родной язык, то не сложно. А по поводу имён: он вроде и в Сильме Мэглор (не в том переводе, который у меня... в моём Лютиэнь перевели как Лучиэнь. Фу!). Кроме того в квенья и синдарине дофига дифтонгов, так что мб и Э.

If translate in native language it's easy. As for names: I believe in Silmarillion it sounds like AE (not in translation I have, where they translated TH in Luthien as CH. Ew). Besides, both Quenja and Sindarin have tonns of diphthongs, so it might actually be AE.
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
У меня перевод Лихачёвой, не самый, конечно, лучший в плане перевода имён, но в общем и целом неплох. Там в начале есть примечания переводчика, но в основном там про такие буквы, как "c", "th", "dh", "l" и так далее, про "а" вообще ничего не сказано... Maglor переведён, как Маглор, так же как Магор (Magor), и Ангрод (Angrod), просто к примеру. Дифтонгов там и, правда, много, но не думаю что они имеют отношение к букве "а". С квэнья имя Маглора тоже переводится с "а", Макалаурэ (Makalaurё), что ещё страннее, потому что там есть эта подозрительная "ё", произносимая как "э".
Мда... Толкин постарался запутать читателей, со всеми своими языками :'D Зато есть где покопаться и что поизучать . ;)

Translation: I have the Lihacheva's translation, not the best one name-wise but altogether it is fine. At the beginning there there are notes from the translator, but they are mostly about "c", "th", "dh", "l", etc. nothing about "a"... Maglor is translated like Маглор, as well as Магор (Magor), and Ангрод (Angrod), as an example. There really is a ton of diphthongs, but I don't know if they have any relation to "a". Maglor's name translates from Quenja with "a" as well, Macalaurё, which is even more strange, because of that suspicious "ё", that sounds like "e". Huh... Tolkien worked well at making the readers confused with his languages  :'D At least there is a lot to study ;)