Author Topic: Language Introduction thread!  (Read 79442 times)

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
Re: Language Introduction thread!
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
Welcome! Historians rally - does anybody know what flag we would use to put Anglo-Saxon into Lueley's footer?
I've just been using the English flag with a parenthetical OE for Old English :P idk if there's a flag that would suit the purposes here more
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #211 on: March 07, 2020, 08:35:33 AM »
Sooo maybe I’ll go too.

Hei, minä olen Jitter. Olen nelikymppinen ja perheeseeni kuuluu puolisoni ja kaksi teini-ikäistä. Meillä on pieni koira ja asumme Suomessa, pääkaupunkiseudulla. Olen harrastanut scifiä ja fantasiaa lapsesta asti. Puhun ja kirjoitan suomea ja englantia sujuvasti. Ruotsia luen hyvin, puhun ja kirjoitan jonkin verran. Ranska on ruosteessa, luen kohtalaisesti mutta paljon on unohtunut. Olen opiskellut myös hieman japania, saksaa ja kiinaa (mandariinia), mutta en muista kuin joitakin fraaseja.

Hello I’m Jitter. I’m in my forties and my family consists of my spouse and two teenagers. We have a little dog and we live in Finland, in the capital region. Scifi and fantasy have been my hobbies since I was a kid. I’m fluent in Finnish and English, both spoken and written. Swedish I read well, and speak and write some. My French is rusty, I read it tolerably but have forgotten much. I have also studied a little Japanese, German and Chinese (Mandarin), but I don’t remember anything beyond some phrases.

Hej, jag heter Jitter. Jag bor i Finland, i Helsingforsregionen med min familj (make och två tonåringar), vi också har en liten hund. Jag har älskat scifi och fantasi nästan hela mit liv. Jag talar bra finska och engelska. Jag läser svenska bra, men talar och skriver sämre. Jag har studerat franska också, men jag har glömmat mycket. Japanska, tyska or kinesiska jag minns nästan ingenting om. Jag har inte användat ordboken eller Google Translate för den har texten och ja tror det här är ganska dåligt.
(Hi my name is Jitter. I live in Finland, in the Helsinki area, with my family (spouse and two teenagers), we also have a little dog. I have loved scifi amd fantasy almost all my life. I speak Finnish and English well. I reas Swedish well, but speak and write worse. I have also studied French, but I have forgotten much. Japanese, German and Chinese O don’t remember almos anything of. I have not used a dictionary or Google Translate for this text anfåd I believe it’s quite bad).

Je m’appele Jitter et je suis Finlandaise. J’habille en Finlande avec ma famille et notre petit chien. J’aime SciFi et fantasie. That’s it, sorry! Guten tag, danke schön.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #212 on: March 08, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »
Haha I’ve been reminded of French: J’habite Finlande 😆

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #213 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »
Well, it seems to be my turn:

This is the (European) Portuguese introduction:

Olá, meu nome é thegreyarea. Estou a chegar aos 50. Vivo em Portugal, no Porto. Sou arquitecto e quando não estou a trabalhar tento fazer exercício, estar com a família, ler e, ultimamente, escrever. Cresci no Brasil, e vim morar em Portugal com 19 anos. Falo Português e um Inglês aceitável. Sou capaz de ler e entender Espanhol, mas escrever é mais difícil. Sei um pouco de Francês e Italiano, gostava de aprender Japonês e, de uns tempos para cá (desde que começei a ler SSSS) Finlandês.

Hello, my name is thegreyarea. I'm approaching 50. I live in Porto, Portugal. I'm an architect and when I'm not working I try to exercise, be with my family, read and, lately, write. I grow up in Brasil, and came to live in Portugal when I was 19. I speak Portuguese and an acceptable English. I'm able to read and understand Spanish, but writing is harder. I know a little French and Italian, would like to learn Japanese and, recentely (since I started reading SSSS) Finnish.

And this is my terrible Spanish version (I'm not sure of the words followed by ?):

Holá, mi nombre es thegreyarea. Estoy cerca los 50. Vivo en Portugal, no Porto. Soy arquitecto y quando no estoy a trabajar tento hacer exercicio, estar con mi familia, ler y, mas recientimente(?), escribir. Hay crescido en Brasil, e he venido morar(?) en Portugal a los 19 anõs. Hablo Portugues e un Inglés aceptable. Soy capaz de ler e entender Espanhol, pero escribir es mas dificil(?). Se un poquito de Francês e Italiano, me gustaria aprender Japones y, hacia uns tiempos (desde que empece a ler SSSS) Finlandês.

I won't risk the anger of our French and Italian fellows trying (mistreating) their languages (I already fear the Spanish speakers...) :-)

Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Mariiii

« Reply #214 on: March 15, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »

I won't risk the anger of our French and Italian fellows trying (mistreating) their languages (I already fear the Spanish speakers...) :-)

Hahaha, French is so hard to learn that personnally I would never be angry at someone if they don't speak or write it very well. I think that it must be a real nightmare for the people who try to learn it  >:D

For example, in Costa Rica, they usually say 'with pleasure' instead of 'you're welcome' as a response to 'thank you'!

It's fun to see that some expressions are the same in different langages, because in south France we tend to say "Avec plaisir" (with pleasure) as well when someone thanks us. Another example is the expression "Tomber amoureux" or "Fall in love" which is exactly the same in both langages  :D
Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Unseelie

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #215 on: March 24, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
(Apparently there's no flag for Austria, and I'm definitely not gonna use a German one)
Hallo allerseits, ich nenne mich im Internet oftmals Unseelie. Sprachen sind nicht gerade meine größte Stärke, aber interessieren mich durchaus... okay, interessieren mich genug, dass viele meiner Gespräche plötzlich zum Thema Linguistik abdriften.
:uk:
Hello everyone, I often call myself Unseelie in the internet. Languages are not exactly my greatest strength, but I do have a bit of an interest in them... okay, enough of an interest for many of my conversations to suddenly drift off to the topic of linguistics.

Aaaand that's pretty much it with languages I speak fluently, bits and pieces of others:

:sweden:
Hej, jag hete Unseelie. Jag bodde i Sverige i ett halvt år, men jag talar bara lite svenska.
Hello, my name is Unseelie. I lived in Sweden for half a year, but I only speak a little Swedish.

:france:
Je m'appelle Unseelie. Mon français est terrible.
My name is Unseelie. My French is terrible.
(There's only so much Duolingo can do.)

:vaticancity:
Mihi nomen est Unseelie. Linguam latinám non iam habeo.
My name is Unseelie. I don't "have" (speak/know) Latin anymore.
(I only ever learned how to translate from Latin, and that was nearly a decade ago. Honestly, that sentence took me several minutes and I'm unsure if it's correct.)
Change is good
Glamour is free
Honour is a lie
Passion before duty

Dan_Urios

• Digital illustrator
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #216 on: March 30, 2020, 06:15:18 AM »
My turn! I'll leave the English translation last, so I can brag a little. The German and Finnish ones have simplified parts since I am still quite a novice in them, but I tried my best to keep the spirit.
Also, I won't be doing the languages that I kind of understand, like French, Italian or Portuguese.

:catalonia:
Bon dia! Em dic Dan i tinc vint-i-quatre anys. Visc a Girona amb la meva parella i la meva gata, a la qual li vaig posar de nom Molina, com l'estació d'esquí. Sóc il·lustrador digital i ara els dos estem estudiant finès per a anar-nos-en a viure a Joensuu en un parell d'anys! Emocionadíssim em trobo, tu.

:spain:
¡Buenos días! Me llamo Dan y tengo veinticuatro años. Vivo en Gerona con mi pareja y mi gata, a la cual le puse de nombre Molina, como la estación de esquí. ¡Soy ilustrador digital y ahora los dos estamos estudiando finés para irnos a vivir a Joensuu en un par de años! Emocionadisimo me hallo, tú.

:germany:
Guten morgen! Mein Name ist Dan und ich bin vierundzwanzig Jahre alt. Ich wohne in Girona mit meinem Partner und meiner Katze. Sie heisst Molina, wie die Skistation. Ich bin ein Digitaler Illustrator und jetzt lernen wir beide Finnisch, um in ein paar Jahren nach Joensuu zu ziehen! Ich bin so aufgeregt.

:finland:
Hyvää huomenta! Minun nimeni on Dan ja olen kaksikymmentaneljä vuotta vanha. Minä asun Gironassa poikäystäväni ja kissamme kanssa. Hänen nimensä on Molina, kiten hiihtoasema. Minä olen digitaalinen kuvittaja ja molemmat oppimme suomea ja muuttamaan Joensuulle parissa vuodessa! Olen niin innostunut.

Good morning! My name is Dan and I'm twenty-four years old. I live in Girona with my partner and my cat, which I named Molina, like the ski station. I'm a digital illustrator and now the both of us are learning Finnish to move to Joensuu in a couple years! I'm so excited.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:45:48 AM by RoosArtwork »
Hi! My name is Dan, and I'm a digital illustrator based in Spain. If you wanna check my sfw work (like other SSSS fanart) here's my INSTAGRAM. Also, all of my social media accounts are HERE and my commissions are OPEN!

Fluent in: :es: :us: and

Learning: :de: :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #217 on: March 30, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
Hei Dan! Aika hyvin meni!

Dan_Urios

• Digital illustrator
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2020, 01:01:39 PM »
Kiitos paljon!
Hi! My name is Dan, and I'm a digital illustrator based in Spain. If you wanna check my sfw work (like other SSSS fanart) here's my INSTAGRAM. Also, all of my social media accounts are HERE and my commissions are OPEN!

Fluent in: :es: :us: and

Learning: :de: :fi:

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #219 on: May 22, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »
Hello/Greetings/G'day! My name is Yastreb and I live in Australia. I'm retired and settling down to write the stories that I've been thinking about for many years now.
My French was once good enough that I was the reserve translator for a tour group many years ago, but I'm badly out of practice.
I learned Russian at school, but never did very well with it.

Bpnjour! Je m'appelle Yastreb et j'habite en Australie. Je suis à la retraite et je m'installe pour écrire les histoires auxquelles je pense depuis de nombreuses années maintenant. Mon français était une fois assez bon pour que j'étais traductrice de réserve pour un groupe de tournée il y a de nombreuses années, mais je ne suis pas vraiment à l'aise. J'ai appris le russe à l'école, mais je n'ai jamais très bien réussi.

Здравствуйте! Меня зовут Ястреб, и я живу в Австралии. Я на пенсии и успокаиваюсь, чтобы написать истории, о которых я думал много лет. Мой французский когда-то был достаточно хорош, чтобы я был резервным переводчиком для туристической группы много лет назад, но я сильно выбыл из практики. Я изучал русский язык в школе, но никогда не делал это хорошо.

(I ended up using Google translate as a short cut for both French and Russian, because I'm that out of practice.)
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2020, 12:45:29 PM »
Oh, this should be fun! So while I´m here already:

:de:
Hallo! Ich heiße Mirasol, zumindest im Internet. Ich bin siebzehn Jahre alt und wohne in Deutschland mit meinen Eltern und zwei Geschwistern. Ich spreche Deutsch und Englisch mehr oder weniger flüssig. Bis letztes Jahr habe ich auch Französisch in der Schule gelernt und war ganz gut, habe aber jetzt schon wieder viel vergessen. Vor ein paar Wochen habe ich angefangen, Finnisch zu lernen (wegen SSSS ;D), bin aber noch nicht so weit gekommen. Ich kann einzelne Wörter auf Italienisch.

:us:
Hello! My Name is Mirasol, at least on the Internet. I´m seventeen years old and live in Germany with my parents and two siblings. I speak German and English more or less fluently. Until last year I also learned French in school and was pretty good, but I already forgot a lot of it again. A few weeks ago I started learning Finnish (for SSSS ;D), but I didn´t get too far yet. I can say a few words in Italian.

:fr:
Bonjour! Je m´appelle Mirasol, au moins dans l´internet. J´ai dixsepte ans et j´habite à l´Allemagne avec mes parents et mes deux frères et soeurs. Je parle de l´allemand et de l´anglais. Jusqu´à le dernièr an, j´ai appris du Francais à l´école et j´ai été  un peu bien (?), mais j´ai houblié beaucoup. Depuis un couple semaines, j´ai recommencé a apprende finlandais (pour SSSS), mais je n´ai pas venue loin. Je peut dire un peux mots en italian.

:fi: (I apologize in advance for the most likely terrible grammar)
Hei! Minä nimeni on Mirasol ja minä olen seitsemäntoista. Minä en puhu suomea. :D
(Hello! My name is Mirasol and I´m seventeen. I don´t speak Finnish.)

:it:
Bongiorno! Mi chiamo Mirasol. (that´s it... I´m a lot better at reading Italian)
(Hello! My name is Mirasol.)

I tried to cheat as little as possible, but I did look up a few words in french. And the spelling in italian, I can´t spell that to save my life.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 05:31:02 AM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2020, 03:02:07 PM »
Everything on the Finnish is correct, except Minä olen seitsemäntoista. Minä olen, sinä olet, hän on, me olemme, te olette, he ovat.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2020, 04:45:42 AM »
Minä olen, sinä olet, hän on, me olemme, te olette, he ovat.
Yay, I´d call that almost a success! Wait, I need to write that down real quick...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #223 on: June 22, 2020, 07:45:04 PM »
Since I reintroduced myself on the main intro thread, I guess I'll reintroduce myself here, too?

:germany:
Hallo, ich bin Kel. Ich studiere Physik und Ingenieurwesen.
...:) I've never officially taken German lessons so I'm not sure what to give as the time frame.

:spain:
Hola, me llamo Kel. Cuando estaba en la escuela... aprendiaba? había aprendiado? el español. Pero porque han pasado 3 años, olvidé mucho. Ahora, estoy estudiando la física y la ingeniería.

:japan:
こんにちは!ケールです。2年間半、日本語を勉強している。去年の夏、日本へ行って、2月間ホストファミリーと住んでいた。まだ日本語は難しいけど、毎日毎日頑張っている。日本語の他、物理学と工学を勉強している。^ - ^

:usa:
Hi, I'm Kel, I've been studying languages for almost a decade but I'm still not great at them haha. I'm currently studying physics and engineering.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Annuil

• Scout
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
Hey, everyone! I’m new here and I’m still working on learning how this forum works. But I found this amazing thread about the languages and I’m really exited about that! Okey, lets start with native (Russian):
Всем привет! Я Аннуиль, мне шестнадцать. Я родилась в России, сейчас живу в США. Официальные уроки я брала только по английскому и французскому, несмотря на то что последний, после двух лет обучения, я все равно почти не помню. Я несколько раз была в Финляндии, путешествовала через Швецию и Норвегию, что хорошо мотивирует меня теперь на изучение финского, шведского и датского. Одно время я изучала даже эльфийский язык (Синдарин). ;D

Translation: Hi everyone! I’m Annuil, I’m sixteen years old. I was born in Russia, now I live in USA. Officially I took lessons only for English and French, and the last one (French) after studying it for two years I don’t remember it well enough. I’ve been to Finland several times, traveled through Sweden and Norway, which really motivates me to study Finnish, Swedish and Dutch. Once I even studied elvish (Sindarin). ;D

Now comes the languages I’m learning so there might be a few mistakes…

French: Bonjour! Je m’appelle Annuil, j’ai seize ans.
Translation: Hello, my name is Annuil, I’m sixteen. (That’s pretty much all of my French) :'D

Swedish: Hallå! Jag är Annuil, jag är sexton. Jag talar inte svenska, men jag vill fixa det!
Translation:Hello! I’m Annuil, I’m sixteen. I don’t speak Swedish, but I want to fix it! (I might even make mistakes in English! O_O)

Finnish: Terve! Nimeni on Annuil, minä olen kuusitoista. En puhu suomea, mutta haluan korjata sen!
Translation: same as in Swedish: Hello, my name is Annuil, I’m sixteen. I don’t speak Finnish, but I want to fix it!

My Dutch is too bad to write something normal, at list I can say “I’m Annuil”: Jeg er Annuil!

Wow, I did it! If there are any mistakes, please tell me!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 05:04:09 PM by Annuil »
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿