Author Topic: Sad? Let's talk!  (Read 901 times)

GOBBO

• Super-Newbie
Sad? Let's talk!
« on: April 30, 2023, 02:12:59 AM »
This is for people who need hugs and/or comfort, especially about comic-stuff.

GOBBO

• Super-Newbie
Re: Sad? Let's talk!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 02:18:28 AM »
Hi! So, I just finished adventure 1 and now I'm sad. I need virtual group hugs. STAT.

Bippity Boppity Boop

• Call me Boop!!
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2023, 03:55:40 AM »
Initiate sending hugs
Calibrating arm pressure for optimal comfort
Adjusting shoulders for optimal head-resting
Choosing comforting words

Hug Ready
Hug on its way
Hug delivered!
Call me Boop!

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2023, 06:08:37 AM »
Joinning the group hug here, GOBBO!

So, let's talk while we hold our virtual hands.  :) What made you sad at the end of adv. 1?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 06:50:43 AM »
Joining in the group hug! And yes, what made you especially sad? For me it was seeing the rushed and superficial ending to a tale that had taken so much work and love down the years. It might have been truly epic. It is the author’s brainchild, and so hers to shape and direct, but such an ending still feels wasteful and sad.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 01:08:01 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 03:32:06 PM »
That wasn't at the end of adventure 1, though, Róisín. That was the later portions of adventure 2.

The only thing I remember being sad about the end of adventure 1 was missing Tuuri. But I haven't gotten that far in the re-read and maybe I'm forgetting something.

Virtual hugs, however, are good. Count me in.

dmeck7755

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 08:36:29 AM »
HUGS for All!!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 09:15:30 PM »
*piles on*
I get it - there was a let-down at the end of Adv. 1 for me.  Mikkel bear-hugged Emil & Lalli, we got a punchline from Sigrun....
and then *poof* they were on the boat.

We all wanted A LOT more from that reunion and subsequent debrief.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 12:23:35 AM »
I would have liked more of that part of the tale.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

dmeck7755

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 10:38:20 AM »
I would have liked to see more with Onni and Lalli.  There is/was so much baggage there.  A prelude or a little more on the prompting of him going back to Finland to meet the Kade.

Did he have a dream, Did it find him and threatened them much like the Ghosts did to Reynir? 

So much hidden and lost

-Frank Zappa

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 10:55:25 AM »
I also found the end of Adv.1 soooo very bland that it made me a bit sad.

There was the team reunion to explore (we simply got nothing on how Sigrun and Reynir reacted), the exchange between Lalli and Emil after all the craziness they had been through (seriously, Lalli lived inside Emil's head and they have nothing to say?), more info about the rash (perhaps on that diary they found with the guy in hazmat suit), the fallout on Tuuri's demise (we did get a bit of it on Adv.2, but still)...

Then someone from Finland (Jitter? I'm not sure) argued that traditional Finnish tales were a bit like that, that many times there was no big, meaningful conclusion or wrapping up the story... That helped understand Minna's reasons, but didn't solve the issue, so I set all my hopes on Adv.2. There, surely, we would get more character development and more answers...
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

dmeck7755

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 10:58:26 AM »
Maybe that's why we have such great fan fiction!!

-Frank Zappa

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 11:16:29 AM »
Maybe that's why we have such great fan fiction!!
"Necessity is the mother of invention"  ;D

(If anyone wants to know, I tried to check who's responsible for that phrase, and it looks like this one comes from Plato, that said “our need will be the real creator”, and that it evolved over time into the proverb.)

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 03:25:14 PM »
so I set all my hopes on Adv.2. There, surely, we would get more character development and more answers...

And we started to. For a while, we were getting quite a bit of it; or at least, of the personal histories that would have gone into it.

What we might have gotten, overall, if Minna hadn't converted, is what I miss. Though it's hard to tell -- would she have written ten or twenty or more years' worth in that world? Or would she have left it for other reasons, long before all the loose ends had been knitted, leaving more and different loose ends behind?

But another possibility is that she never gave us all that insight into what was going on inside peoples' heads because . . . she hasn't got it. She knows humans do a lot of things. She finds some of those things, and some possible fictional variations on them, really interesting; and can write about them well. But she doesn't know why anybody's doing them; and maybe doesn't much care.

dmeck7755

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »
And we started to. For a while, we were getting quite a bit of it; or at least, of the personal histories that would have gone into it.
If Minna did that, we would have had an exceptionally long ADV II (whoohoo!)

What we might have gotten, overall, if Minna hadn't converted, is what I miss. Though it's hard to tell -- would she have written ten or twenty or more years' worth in that world? Or would she have left it for other reasons, long before all the loose ends had been knitted, leaving more and different loose ends behind?

I think she may have left anyways.  Converting accelerated it.  Reading other comics Minna was like a machine.  4 updates a week (She started with 5) For over 10 years!.  That is herculean.  Many other comic artists update 1-2 times a week.  (Some less some more) Also they take longer hiatuses.  I think Minna's longest was like 3 weeks when she moved.   I think burn-out was approaching.

But another possibility is that she never gave us all that insight into what was going on inside peoples' heads because . . . she hasn't got it. She knows humans do a lot of things. She finds some of those things, and some possible fictional variations on them, really interesting; and can write about them well. But she doesn't know why anybody's doing them; and maybe doesn't much care.

It is hard to say.  I think she may have thought what they think didn't matter. 

-Frank Zappa