Author Topic: Nordic news!  (Read 2453 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Nordic news!
« on: July 29, 2021, 06:26:05 AM »
I came across an interesting news item, and now I found it in English too.

An overnight train service is now available between Mora Stockholm and Copenhagen, and onwards to Berlin. I am sure nothing will go wrong! Although the image of the train seems to be lacking some important equipment.

https://www.railjournal.com/passenger/main-line/snalltaget-launches-night-train-between-stockholm-copenhagen-and-berlin/

Seriously though this is good news. Europe is small enough for overland travel for many purposes, and I'm glad to see the connections are being built up.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
Re: Nordic news!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 07:28:52 AM »
Several locomotives are used for the journey; however, the coaches are owned by Snälltåget, which bought them in 2019 and has carried out a complete renovation.

Ah yes, the blessing of European nations having their trolley wires operate at various different voltages ... ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:06:02 PM »
So, science has taken a look at who would be likely to survive things going Real Bad. It was shown that Iceland would be one of the best places to survive a collapse of the society!

News article in the Guardian, and the scientific paper itself (full text is available for free)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/28/new-zealand-rated-best-place-to-survive-global-societal-collapse

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/15/8161/htm

I think this study will be interesting for many of us. Ok so the research ignored trollification, but still!

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:43:39 AM »
So, science has taken a look at who would be likely to survive things going Real Bad. It was shown that Iceland would be one of the best places to survive a collapse of the society!

News article in the Guardian, and the scientific paper itself (full text is available for free)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/28/new-zealand-rated-best-place-to-survive-global-societal-collapse

https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/15/8161/htm

I think this study will be interesting for many of us. Ok so the research ignored trollification, but still!

Those were really fascinating reads, thanks for linking them!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 09:04:23 AM »
They are! And kind of chilling, the way they speculate about the collapse that is coming (not may be coming). Definitely interesting for anyone interested in apocalypses.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 04:39:27 PM »
Not sure if this thread should be on this noard or General, but nevertheless. News from Iceland in case someone besides me is interested. The volcano that erupted in 2021 and 2022 in the Reykjanes peninsula near Reykjavik has started again today.

My favorite to follow it on is JustIcelandic on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/@JustIcelandic/videos

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 07:02:04 PM »
Not sure if this thread should be on this noard or General, but nevertheless. News from Iceland in case someone besides me is interested. The volcano that erupted in 2021 and 2022 in the Reykjanes peninsula near Reykjavik has started again today.

My favorite to follow it on is JustIcelandic on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/@JustIcelandic/videos

So if it's no longer a volcano, is it a lava basket then? Something from the other Nordic comic: https://satwcomic.com/bad-boy
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 01:36:39 PM »
Yeah, it’s back to its basket for now. Same timeframe next year, perhaps?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2024, 11:04:17 AM »
I’m not sure f it’s relevant to have a Nordic news thread now that the comic’s over, let me know what you think? Should I just post on thr General Discussion thread?

Anyways things are back ro hectic around the Reykjanes peninsula. There was a short eruption before, preceded by seismic activity that led to the evacuation of the town of Grindavik (population was around 3800). That ine was short and while the experts were saying it’s not over yet, some peoples were already returning to the town. Now last night (January 14th 2024) the 200 or so people spending the night in the town were emergency evacuated again. A new fissure eruption started close to the town, and an even closer one appeared inside of the protection barrier they have been building! So far two houses are under lava, but there is no way to know how long this will go on i.e. how far the lava will flow. Nature is terrifying!

The only casualty so far has been a construction worker who fell into a crack he was working on to stabilize in Grindavik. It turned out there was a much larger cavern under the smaller crack and he disappeared completely into the earth. Now there are no people in the town, but at least dozens of sheep and possibly some pets have been taken back there and are now trapped. During the earlier rescue efforts all animals got out, but at the moment there is no information about how many hqve been taken back and where they are.

The English liveblog of RÜV, and Icelandic news outlet can be viewed here: https://www.ruv.is/english/2024-01-14-an-eruption-has-begun-north-of-grindavik-401887 Some particularly impressive footage of the people getting the construction equipment to safety under heading “More on the saving of vital defense building equipment”. Because all of the machinery used for building of lava defense barriers was right there and they needed to get as many as possible to safety.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 12:43:13 PM »
Yikes!

A good indication of why one should listen to experts saying "it's not over yet." Sometimes, it's true, they're being overcautious -- but when they aren't, the results of ignoring them can be really unpleasant.

JoB

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 04:00:06 PM »
A good indication of why one should listen to experts saying "it's not over yet." Sometimes, it's true, they're being overcautious -- but when they aren't, the results of ignoring them can be really unpleasant.
FWIW, the volcanologist our TV news saw fit to interview now opined that things could "go on for decades, or even centuries" - I'm pretty sure, though, that he meant volcanic activity near Grindavik in general, not that we'll be seeing the lava flow 24/7 until the end of our lives ...
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

JoB

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2024, 08:14:18 AM »
Anyways things are back ro hectic around the Reykjanes peninsula.
I came here to say "... which apparently prompts discussions whether vulcanologists' current stance of 'don't try to intervene' should change", but as it turns out, that article actually goes back to the time of the first eruption even. As do the statements of "it might go on for centuries" that I wrote about in my previous post.

Oh well. At least the news of the naval invasion of Australia are properly breaking ones ... :P

Jitter

• Valkyrie
Re: Nordic news
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2024, 07:48:00 AM »
Yeah, the eruption started and stopped again but based on the ground movement particularly at the Svartsengi power plant and the Blue Lagoon, this is a pause rather than the end. It appears to be at least a rifting event, the previous one (elsewhere in Iceland) lasted for nine years and provided nine eruptions. Two eruptions during the same year, as happened in 2023, is very rare even for Iceland, and it’s now looking very likely to repeat this year.

But, geological evidence from previous volcanic events on the Reykjanes peninsula (where all these eruptions, now 5 since 2021) have occurred, indicates that the several volcanic systems of the peninsula are closely interlinked and when one goes, they are all likely to go. Last time this happened it went on for centuries. Not 800 years of continuous lava flow of course, but frequent bigger and smaller eruptions the traces of which are the current landscape of the peninsula. At least one of the systems reaches all the way north to Reykjavik area, some of the newer housing districts are built on fairly fresh lava. Good idea? Apparently geologists are not buying property there.

Even if it never reaches Reykjavik, the current activity is at the power plant which is very important to a large area, and Blue Lagoon which is the most important single tourist attraction in the country. Plus westward lava flows might intercept the highway between Keflavik and Reykjavik, although at this moment this is not a major risk. But if the unrest spreads from current areas to the systems west, this will quickly become a concern. And these western systems are part of the Reykjanes peninsula system group and presumably connected.

To top it off, Grimsvötn under the Vatnajökul glacier is having a fever. This is quite common and often, but not always, leads to an eruption. There is much less infrastructure around there so even though the potential eruption would be bigger it has good chance to be less problematic. Eruption under ice or water produces ash clouds which affects air traffic like many of us recall but usually only for a limited time and area. The glacial flooding caused by the volcano heating up and melting the ice is currently ongoing, this may result in an eruption.

So the Grimsvötn main caldera hasn’t been a huge problem in historical times. However the late 1700’s  eruption in the Laligigar, part of the Grimsvötn fissure system, was a huge event. Half of the livestock and consequently 20 % of human population in Iceland died. But beyond this, the effects had major global scale impacts. So much sulfur dioxide billowed to Europe that there was elevated mortality in the British Islands and to a lesser extent in mainland Europe too. Weather impacts were gloabal, and further deaths from the resulting famines have been attributed to this eruption or series of eruptions. A volcanic winter can be said to have occurred, and this eruption was among the underlying reasons that led to the famine which in turn led to the uprisings which became the French Revolution! Pretty major, huh? See here, it’s terrifying and fascinating: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laki

I have read thet “May you live in interesting times” is a Chinese curse. Maybe Icelandic too? Globally appropriate as a curse, it seems (again).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 07:51:12 AM by Jitter »

dmeck7755

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2024, 03:21:47 PM »

Oh well. At least the news of the naval invasion of Australia are properly breaking ones ... :P
Vile creatures!!

Jitter...Unfortunately these are Interesting times...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 03:25:02 PM by dmeck7755 »
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 07:21:14 PM »
Yeah, fire ants can be a deadly problem. Our native jackjumper ants are bad enough.i’ve been bitten by those and it is horrible. Fire ants are worse.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!