Author Topic: Riddle time!  (Read 18720 times)

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
Riddle time!
« on: March 19, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
Just remembered this really cool riddle and I figured I'll post it here for convenience. You can post your own riddles here, however, once there's more than one riddle, it might be a good idea to quote it while answering, to prevent confusion regarding which riddle is being answered.

My riddle is as follows:

Let's suppose you have been diagnosed with a deadly illness and only have a few months left to live. You're offered a chance to participate in an experimental treatment that will save your life. You're given two jars, each containing a hundred pills. Both kinds of pills look, smell and taste exactly the same - there's no way to tell the difference. You have to take two pills from each jar every day until you run out of both, after which you will be cured. However, if you mix it up, you die. You do as you're told until, two days before the end of your treatment, you accidentally knock over both jars and the pills get mixed up. What do you do to complete your treatment and not die?

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
Re: Riddle time!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »
ooh, I've heard one like this before! I've never heard a definite correct answer, but my answer is this: take all the pills, grind them up, and mix the powder as well as possible. Then, either eat the powder or put it in water to make a paste and mix it more.
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »
ooh, I've heard one like this before! I've never heard a definite correct answer, but my answer is this: take all the pills, grind them up, and mix the powder as well as possible. Then, either eat the powder or put it in water to make a paste and mix it more.
There's a simpler way.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 07:06:03 AM »
Just remembered this really cool riddle and I figured I'll post it here for convenience...

...What do you do to complete your treatment and not die?
Great idea Ran!

I know this is not the right answer, but I'd take those 8 pills (2 days left x 2 jars x 2 pills) and wait until midnight. Then I'll took all them together, even risking an overdose.

(Presuming there's no way to contact those guys that were so smart to devise a treatment for a deadly disease but not smart enough to make the damn pills in different colours!)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »
Just remembered this really cool riddle and I figured I'll post it here for convenience. You can post your own riddles here, however, once there's more than one riddle, it might be a good idea to quote it while answering, to prevent confusion regarding which riddle is being answered.

My riddle is as follows:

Let's suppose you have been diagnosed with a deadly illness and only have a few months left to live. You're offered a chance to participate in an experimental treatment that will save your life. You're given two jars, each containing a hundred pills. Both kinds of pills look, smell and taste exactly the same - there's no way to tell the difference. You have to take two pills from each jar every day until you run out of both, after which you will be cured. However, if you mix it up, you die. You do as you're told until, two days before the end of your treatment, you accidentally knock over both jars and the pills get mixed up. What do you do to complete your treatment and not die?

Are we supposed to assume the pills were actually spilled out of their original bottles or not?
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
You have to take two pills from each jar every day until you run out of both
I shall assume that that means either a) to take 2 "left jar" + 2 "right jar" = 4 at one time every day, or b) 1+1 at one time ("morning") and 1+1 at another ("evening"), not that you have to take the two sorts at different times of the day (e.g., 2+0 in the morning and 0+2 in the evening).

Spoiler: in that case ... • show

Take your eight remaining pills and a) two / b) four new containers. Break every pill in equal parts, putting one part of it in every container. Gobble down the content of one container at every pill-taking time.

PSA: In the real world, there are pills that have some inner structure (resorption-delaying coatings, etc. etc.) and deteriorate when you break them into pieces. Don't do that with your pills unless the instructions you got say it's OK, or at the very least the pills have grooves to help breaking them. Be sure to break them at the grooves, too.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
I shall assume that that means either a) to take 2 "left jar" + 2 "right jar" = 4 at one time every day, or b) 1+1 at one time ("morning") and 1+1 at another ("evening"), not that you have to take the two sorts at different times of the day (e.g., 2+0 in the morning and 0+2 in the evening).

Spoiler: in that case ... • show

Take your eight remaining pills and a) two / b) four new containers. Break every pill in equal parts, putting one part of it in every container. Gobble down the content of one container at every pill-taking time.

PSA: In the real world, there are pills that have some inner structure (resorption-delaying coatings, etc. etc.) and deteriorate when you break them into pieces. Don't do that with your pills unless the instructions you got say it's OK, or at the very least the pills have grooves to help breaking them. Be sure to break them at the grooves, too.

Ladies and gentleman, we have the correct answer. Congratulations!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 06:02:51 AM »
Ladies and gentleman, we have the correct answer. Congratulations!

Ok, but I still want to talk with those guys that made the pills-that-kill-you-if-mixed with the same colour!

But I liked this little play, so here's a new one. (Though some may find it to easy):

- What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 06:11:30 AM »
The letter ‘r’?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 06:49:13 AM »
The letter ‘r’?

I said that some would find it too easy... Yes, we have a winner!

Now I'll be waiting for the next one :-)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 07:10:35 AM »
Ok, but I still want to talk with those guys that made the pills-that-kill-you-if-mixed with the same colour!
Now that's a "Holier than thou" attitude if I've ever seen one! >:D

- What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
Since I think that Róisín nailed that one, lemme try to come up with a new one ... hehe, I'll shamelessly steal/adapt something I heard on the radio lately ...

I'm hairy and I give milk, yet I'm not a mammal.
I cannot move away from my home region, and yet I appear near people pretty much all over the world.
Said people are usually delighted to see me - and then grab various blunt instruments to use on me.
What am I?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

RanVor

• Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »
I'm hairy and I give milk, yet I'm not a mammal.
I cannot move away from my home region, and yet I appear near people pretty much all over the world.
Said people are usually delighted to see me - and then grab various blunt instruments to use on me.
What am I?

A coconut?

Róisín

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
Here is one of mine. I drew on two sources of inspiration for this: a quote from John Muir (yes John Muir as in founding of National Parks) talking about seasonal things: ‘Each in its turn as the round Earth rolls’, and the Anglo-Saxon Riddle Poems, which are well worth a read, both for themselves and because they inspired Tolkien’s riddle game in ‘The Hobbit’. A warning: several of these sound as if the answers should be something quite risqué, even if they are not, and some others actually do have a risqué answer.

The answer to mine is one of the classic answers. Some of you may have seen it already in other contexts.

What spills through the hands like sand or water
Spills through the mind from grief to laughter
Dances a beat and the next beat after?

What is deeper than Death’s dark river,
Still as a shallow where bright leaves shiver
Gone every instant yet lives forever?

What can snuff out a star in the dark alone?
Crush a mountain to dust and that dust to a stone
And that stone in its turn into dust again?

What is all false and yet most true?
Old forever yet always new?

What is the water the soul swims through?

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
With your clue of 'classic answers', I'm going to guess that it's time.

Also, that is a beautifully written riddle.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 09:58:18 AM »
You are correct!