Author Topic: SSSSolar Punks  (Read 6956 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: SSSSolar Punks
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 12:28:12 PM »
Alkia, I am interested in seeing your postcards! So nice to see that more of us are into this!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
I currently have a work project where I’m writing a memo for a client about what the EU is planning in terms of the environment and sustainability. I have to say it’s been great! The new European Commission is doing a lot. Now from the moment something is published by the Commission to the moment it happens in practice there is a lot of time, but at least it has been started. Not all people and companies are going to voluntarily do the right thing, we are going to need regulations that force the change. The EU is about to commit to climate neutrality, change the entire economy to circular, the new biodiversity strategy targets minimum of 30% of both land and sea area to become protected etc.

Now the solarpunks are obviously far far ahead, but it’s good to know others are following. And it’s not just the EU - the fact this sort of thing is politically plausible shows that general views are tipping on the side of sustainability. I very much hope we have time still.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

itstricky

• Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 06:03:29 PM »
I am in Michigan USA! That book does sound useful I'm going to have to check it out!

I think a Great getting-started-in-sustainbility resource is project Drawdown. They have a website that you can access for free and a book that is a bit more detailed and organized than the information on the website. If there is a potentially viable option for climate change mitigation, Drawdown almost certainly talks about it. (That's where I went to learn more about micro-grids after Oripoke mentioned them last year!) They have a whole section on agriculture, which is certainly important since food resources are going to be such a big part of our climate journey in the coming years.

Drawdown can also be a great resource for optimism, Jitter! As it's general goal is centered around reversing the effects of climate change as opposed to doing damage control. Maybe they are aiming too high, but hopefully that means that their shortcomings travel further than they would have otherwise.
It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 11:33:59 AM »
oops, sorry for not coming back here for so long, but here are those postcards Róisín!

Spoiler: show

I made 12, one for each month, and each expressing either an effect of climate change to be avoided (wildfires, desertification/drought, sea level rise, etc.), causes (pollution, fossil fuels, deforestation, etc.), or just general inspiring (if one could call them that) drawings. I made these almost half a year ago, so they're quite old. I was contemplating eventually making another set of 12, for next year, that has solutions on them, but I'm not sure. Like I said, I've done practically nothing with them, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of activism (why make something if you're not gonna use it to advocate for your cause?? it kinda makes me disappointed in myself. Like i don't have the courage to publicly stand behind what I believe in, only privately. I'm working on that though, thinking of how I can spread them beyond just my social media and circle of friends/family), but maybe I will soon. Or at least someday.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:36:05 AM by Alkia »
Knows:🇬🇧🇩🇪
Learning:🇳🇴, 🇨🇳
Wants to learn:🇨🇮(Gaelic), 🇫🇷

:A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Róisín

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 11:42:44 AM »
Those are beautiful! Have you talked to any conservation groups about maybe promoting them?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 04:32:15 PM »
Alkia! Especially the one with Earth crouching in the tree about to be felled is clever and touching. Well done! Hopefully you’ll find use for these.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 07:13:22 PM »
<snip>
Like I said, I've done practically nothing with them, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of activism (why make something if you're not gonna use it to advocate for your cause?? it kinda makes me disappointed in myself. Like i don't have the courage to publicly stand behind what I believe in, only privately. I'm working on that though, thinking of how I can spread them beyond just my social media and circle of friends/family), but maybe I will soon. Or at least someday.

Don't beat up on yourself too much, taking large-scale action is difficult, especially on your own. You're still doing good by sharing these postcards, and whatever else you do within your social circle - we all need to lead by example, as well as doing the bigger, more dramatic things. I have a similar inner dialogue (I should do something big!) but try to remind myself that my day-to-day choices are probably more important than anything splashy that I might attempt.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 07:34:46 PM »
Vulpes, I think you are right. ‘Think globally, act locally’. Our day to day actions make more difference than most people realise. I think I do more good by teaching kids to recycle and grow their own food  and clean up the river than by any amount of yelling and waving banners. ‘Be the change you want to see’ is a wise slogan.

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »
thank you, everyone!

Those are beautiful! Have you talked to any conservation groups about maybe promoting them?
thank you! And no, I haven't yet, although there are a few local groups I could probably go to-- I just haven't had the time or commitment to do so. It's a good plan though!!

Alkia! Especially the one with Earth crouching in the tree about to be felled is clever and touching. Well done! Hopefully you’ll find use for these.
thanks!! I will, I just haven't yet, and I keep putting it off

Don't beat up on yourself too much, taking large-scale action is difficult, especially on your own. You're still doing good by sharing these postcards, and whatever else you do within your social circle - we all need to lead by example, as well as doing the bigger, more dramatic things. I have a similar inner dialogue (I should do something big!) but try to remind myself that my day-to-day choices are probably more important than anything splashy that I might attempt.
Vulpes, I think you are right. ‘Think globally, act locally’. Our day to day actions make more difference than most people realise. I think I do more good by teaching kids to recycle and grow their own food  and clean up the river than by any amount of yelling and waving banners. ‘Be the change you want to see’ is a wise slogan.
thank you-- that mentality is one of the things that reassures me the most. Composting, recycling, gardening some of our own food-- those things are just as important as bigger actions, and add up over time

Róisín

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »
I have heard what we do described as ‘Saving the world one backyard at a time ‘. Every little bit helps toward the big stuff.

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
I didn't know this thread existed, but I'm very excited to see that it does! My parents are both botanists, so we've been learning about protecting the environment since the womb.

oops, sorry for not coming back here for so long, but here are those postcards Róisín!

Spoiler: show

I made 12, one for each month, and each expressing either an effect of climate change to be avoided (wildfires, desertification/drought, sea level rise, etc.), causes (pollution, fossil fuels, deforestation, etc.), or just general inspiring (if one could call them that) drawings. I made these almost half a year ago, so they're quite old. I was contemplating eventually making another set of 12, for next year, that has solutions on them, but I'm not sure. Like I said, I've done practically nothing with them, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of activism (why make something if you're not gonna use it to advocate for your cause?? it kinda makes me disappointed in myself. Like i don't have the courage to publicly stand behind what I believe in, only privately. I'm working on that though, thinking of how I can spread them beyond just my social media and circle of friends/family), but maybe I will soon. Or at least someday.

I love these, they are very creative! And don't worry about not making massive changes yet. As Róisín said, just by doing your part, however small it may seem, you're encouraging change. Maybe those around you will be encouraged to do something, which will create a chain reaction.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Róisín

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
Twelve of them.... hmmm. Have you considered making a calendar? Maybe sell it both to maintain yourself and your art, and to donate a part of the proceeds to an environmental charity. I expect that a lot of folk here would buy it and spread the word!

Alkia

• Scout
  • any pronouns
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
Twelve of them.... hmmm. Have you considered making a calendar? Maybe sell it both to maintain yourself and your art, and to donate a part of the proceeds to an environmental charity. I expect that a lot of folk here would buy it and spread the word!
the idea was one for each month, yes, but wow! I've never thought about a calendar! My vague thinking was handing them out at climate protests while encouraging people to write to their local representatives with them (which, due to corona, isn't happening anytime soon), distributing them with the help of an environmental group with the same explanation, and posting them on social medias. I'd have to research calendar makers and shipping and the payment process (none of which I've ever done before), but that's a really good idea!! It's probably time for me to get into that stuff anyway, seeing as selling my art online is an idea I've wanted to investigate for a while. I haven't because school and music have taken up too much time, but perhaps now would be a good time. Thank you!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 06:55:29 PM by Alkia »

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 04:02:53 PM »
I agree with Róisín, a calendar seems like a great idea! You could always do a combination of calendars and post cards, if that doesn't make things too expensive.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

itstricky

• Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »
woo I love the postcards and I love the calendar idea. It can be really hard to figure out what the right course of "action" is in all of this, but I believe that even building knowledge around the earth is important. I'm writing my thesis on how people's (involuntary) relationship with the environment influences their experience with climate. I'm really hoping to eventually find that there is a lot of power in education and art when it comes to climate change activism.

i know this is kind of a late reply but now might be a good time to get into this, i've had quite a few friends start selling their art thanks to the Vid and there seems to be a lot of momentum around supporting art right now!
It never hurts to give thanks to the local Gods. You never know who might be hungry.
Fluent: :usa:  Yes: :japan:  Enough: :germany: :mexico: And Hindi!