Author Topic: Rock Geeks  (Read 7479 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: Rock Geeks
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2021, 08:47:57 PM »
(How did you get a geology geek friend, Vulpes? I really want one of those. Is there a catalog?)

He and I both started 8.5 month teaching contracts at the same time. We were in the office getting paperwork done, and the head of Science said, "You two are both new - get to know one another." Then she introduced us to one another and walked off. An interesting welcome to the campus!  :))  Unfortunately he didn't get further contracts at the campus, and now works in Ontario, but has made it back to The Rock for a couple of visits.

My SO is also a rock geek, which is why we've been hauling rocks into the yard - so they're out there! No catalog, but I highly recommend carrying an interesting rock in your pocket at all times. Then when you're having an awkward conversation with someone new (and a rock geek is probably going to have an awkward conversation, right?) and nervously stuff your hands in your pocket, you'll run into the rock. Pull it out. Look surprised. Say, "Oh, I have a piece of chert in my pocket!" and if the person you're talking to is a rock geek, you will know!  :'D
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2021, 02:36:28 AM »
Vulpes, that is an amusing method of showing your interests (says the person who does carry a rock or several rocks in her pocket, and is more usually the rock geek in the conversation). Though one of my younger rock geek friends, who is glad to have an older adult around who likes to talk about the subject, is the adult daughter of someone who was one of my botany students from decades ago. She has recently started working as a geologist, and loves it. I have actually passed on to her some of my old samples that are not of much interest to my grandchildren.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »
You can learn a lot about someone by the contents of their pockets!  :haw:

catbirds

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2021, 01:16:49 AM »
I think it's a good time to brush up on rocks, then. What'd be the best choice of rock to carry? Something shiny? Or something that looks plain to the uninitiated?

Róisín

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:46 AM »
In my pockets at present among the keys, seeds, handkerchief, small piece of carved wood, angina spray and mobile phone are two rocks: a small waterworn quartz pebble that the desert gave me years ago, which is my scrying stone, and  a pebble of basalt from one of my family’s farms, which the owner gave me as a link to the land there. Precious things. But usually most of what is in my pockets is seeds.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2021, 06:10:10 AM »
”Not fair! not fair!" he hissed. "It isn't fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it's got in it's nassty little pocketsess?”  O_O
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2021, 02:23:01 PM »
”Not fair! not fair!" he hissed. "It isn't fair, my precious, is it, to ask us what it's got in it's nassty little pocketsess?”  O_O

:))

My pockets may have peanuts (in winter, for the birds), seed packets, flagging tape, microcentrifuge tubes (great for collecting small insects!), or random bits like bolts or clevis pins that fall off of vehicles on our potholed road. When I'm carrying a rock, it's generally something I've picked up recently, and usually small and smooth. Nice to stick your hand in your pocket and find a "worry stone" to rub. Jasper is a favourite when I'm in the right place to find it.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
Here are a couple of interesting boulders or stones from our new garden. There are piles of stones around there, from the size of a couple of fists to bigger than I could wrap my arms around. I should imagine they are from the area of the plot, but they are quite different as you can see. I don’t know what type of rocks they are, just noticed how they look very different and cool in different ways. It’s fascinating how different rocks look when they are wet! Just ordinary pretty boring gray rock has so much more colors the minute it rains.

Spoiler: just rocks • show

Such layering is not typical in Finnish rocks so it looks very interesting to me.

This one is fascinating, especially now that I’ve been watching the volcanic eruption in Iceland! I don’t know if this is actually the case, but the boundary zone between the pink and the black stone reminds me of molten rock flowing and cooling on top of a previous layer.

Such brighter stripes within dark rock are quite common. I believe these are migmatites, the lower is probably gneiss with an intrusion of light colored granite. In the upper one the red stripe is red granite, but I don’t know if the surrounding rock is gneiss because of the paler / yellow part.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2021, 11:53:58 AM »
Róisín and Vulpes, if you guys put some string in your pockets, between everything else you'll have just about what you'll need to make a shambles! :D Particularly with the scrying stone, Róisín, I feel like that would create some sort of resonant insight-amplifying effect or something.

I appreciate the wetness of those boulders, Jitter :D I completely agree that rocks are cooler when wet. The tidy flatness of the first rock's cleavage plane and the evenness of the layers makes me think it's sedimentary, maybe something related to sandstone, but beyond that . . . I dunno, the dark layers remind me of Stilton cheese. :P

That second one, I really think it's granite gneiss? I'm just guessing based on this 1998 Audubon handbook book with poorly-lit sample photos in it. (My cousin has been sending me video snippets of the Iceland eruption, it's breathtaking.)

(Edited to fix the hyperlink, my BBCode skills are a WIP)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 09:55:17 AM by SkyWhalePod »
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2021, 05:48:42 PM »
Speaking of the volcano, you can now buy it!
/>Just Icelandic is my favorite youtuber about the eruption btw. The volcano has been busy today (May 8) and there are many very impressive highlights videos. One of the channels with great footage is GutnTog.

And I agree, the first one is definitely sedimentary, but that’s the end of my knowledge :) Maybe I should take the pictures to my colleagues, many of whom are geologists. And the pink/red in the second (as well as the red stripe in the third one) is granite, which is the most common type of rock we have here. Grey is more common than red I think, but red isn’t too rare either.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2021, 08:52:24 PM »
I used to have about a kg of sundry rocks in the bottom of my purse, partially to amuse my small daughter in places where we had to wait for something.  I had quite the collection: small polished NZ carnelians and cherts, a pink blue-veined thingy I'd picked up in the Mad River in NoCal, a Petosky Stone (fossilised coral), tiger iron, an Aussie boulder opal, and a hand-sized river pounamu jade pebble that I would use as a worry stone, which I had managed to rub most of the rough edges off of.  Alas, all gone when my purse was stolen some years back.
I have a small collection of rocks that I took with me when I moved out, and among those are some of my favourites:

A Coromandel red jasper known as Shelob's Rock, after a ginormous spider who made her nest behind it one year.

A carnelian I dug out in Northland, and the cut face for what was inside.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2021, 01:00:15 AM »
The carnelian is particularly lovely! I found a few of those, darker red and much smaller, when walking across a muddy paddock in Blackwater in Queensland. I have several pieces of opal potch, one of which I chipped to give a sharp edge on one side, so I could cut plants that shouldn’t be cut with metal. Those bits are from Mintabie, but I have mined opal at Mintabie, Coober Pedy and Lightning Ridge. Sold all but one of the gems. I have a piece of flint from Copper Hills, and I kept one sapphire from the old claim at Tomahawk Creek in FNQ, which I still wear in a plain silver headband. We sold most of our stones from there, because we left there when my youngest son was born with medical problems that needed big city hospitals and cost everything we had to fix, but I kept that stone because it was the last one I found on that claim, and it was a particolour. Green and gold. Back then particolours were not the fashion, and it is only a small stone, so it likely wouldn’t have sold, but I found it beautiful.

And I sympathise with you about the stolen stones, having also had stolen from my tent at a camp a bag containing not only my money, but several stones, including a couple of Herkimer diamonds and a helenite given to me by an American friend, as well as a couple of good poems I had roughed out but had not yet completed enough to have committed to memory. I managed to reconstruct one of them later, but the other is lost. It’s a strange world.

Lots of other stones, but those are my favourites.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2021, 09:26:02 AM »
Róisín and Vulpes, if you guys put some string in your pockets, between everything else you'll have just about what you'll need to make a shambles! :D Particularly with the scrying stone, Róisín, I feel like that would create some sort of resonant insight-amplifying effect or something.

I sometimes also have string, especially during gardening season, but I have absolutely no magical talent whatsoever!

Your link will work better without the quotation marks, so: shambles. I've not got into the Discworld books, so this was really interesting. Until I got the link to work, I thought you were describing the sort of thing I often construct, of bits and bobs that I have lying around, held together with stray bits of string, which could indeed be described as a complete shambles!

Jitter, it's so nice discovering nice rocks in a new place! The last place we lived had a beautiful back step made from half of a broken millstone. Lovely fine sandstone, might well have come from Grindstone Island nearby.

Róisín

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »
I too frequently have string in my pockets , both for gardening and for when I am tying up the bunches of fresh herbs, dried bayleaves and culinary lavender or the bouquets of cottage flowers that form part of my stock at the local Farmers Market.

SkyWhalePod

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2021, 10:15:18 AM »
Your link will work better without the quotation marks, so: shambles. I've not got into the Discworld books, so this was really interesting. Until I got the link to work, I thought you were describing the sort of thing I often construct, of bits and bobs that I have lying around, held together with stray bits of string, which could indeed be described as a complete shambles!

Flipping heck, this weekend was just my weekend to goof up minutely in a lot of different ways. Thanks for the suggestion, Vulpes, I'll fix that link in my post. I'm glad you were able to figure out what I was trying to get at!

I do recommend Pratchett -- particularly stories about Death and about the Witches. The Witches' power is less about flashy mysticism and more about taking care of people and communities, in tough, insightful, dirty-and-tragic-jobs-still-need-doing ways that sometimes involve subtle magic. Róisín reminds me a bit of them. Death is one of those classic Data-like characters who can never be human but still wants to know what it's like, so his stories often involve looking at human behavior, in all its glory and villainy, and finding the hard kernels of goodness. A reason to keep loving humanity and respecting life. You know, inasmuch as Death can respect life.

Yeah, Death and Tiffany Aching (the witch from the Chalk) are my two favorite Pratchett characters. Sam Vimes is also very good. The Wizards are good if you want some satirical catharsis at the expense of academia. -- anyway this isn't a literary thread, I'll save this for somewhere else.

Really stunning jasper and carnelian, wave. Tragic to hear about all the rock thefts.

Speaking of the volcano, you can now buy it!

Oh my god this is the funniest thing I've seen all week  :))
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 10:22:17 AM by SkyWhalePod »
Native: :us: Rusty: :de: :it: Very basic: :se: Thanks, anime: :jp: Learned a word yesterday: :fi: