Author Topic: Bugs and things to fix  (Read 145827 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: Bugs and things to fix
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 10:44:48 PM »
I've found a few oddities. When I've replied to a topic (using quick reply), the site redirects me out of the thread to the sub-topic thing (not the main page, but the ones like the SSSS Board etc.). Also, I tried logging in while viewing a thread, and it redirected me to a completely different thread after logging me in. And of course, actually showing the comment posted took a while, but that's been mentioned.
Aright, so we're getting lots of SMF issues.  I'll search around the SMF site and look for some modifications that might be able to patch the issues y'all are having.
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:55:23 PM »
Okay, everyone, I'm slowly getting used to the whole "website" thing, and I'm currently learning about how to back up the site and database with one of SMF's many glorious tutorials.  This is one of the most important steps in the rigamarole, because if I tamper with the site too much or install modifications, and the site isn't backed up, the whole thing goes bye-bye.  Currently, none of the edits I've made are to the actual site, just the theme I installed.  Once I have the database and site backed up, and test it to make sure the backups work, I'll begin looking into some fixes for the problems y'all have been having.  This is most likely going to be a long process, because I'm a pretty slow learner and programming of any kind beyond mathematics and data processing is something I've never done.  Come this weekend, though, I should be able to clock in some hardcore hours getting all this figured out.  I just wanted to warn y'all that I might need to put up the maintenance mode to stop people accessing the site while I'm doing some of this.  Just keep an eye on the "News" section in the top right of the page this weekend, because I'll update that to say if I have to start maintenance mode (and I'll do it two hours in advance, just in case).
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:52:10 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Hedge14

• Tähtikavaltaja
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:36 AM »
Hi!

I have had quite lot of problems when modifying my posts. I get a message that I have already saved the post. Should that happen if I modify my posts in a short time period? In another forum where I have spent time there has been no problems like this and both forums use Simple Machines. Also, one time it did not give me this message at all, but it did not save my post either. It had been about 15 min from last time I had modified the post, so too quick editing should not have been a problem either?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
I have had quite lot of problems when modifying my posts. I get a message that I have already saved the post.
FWIW, I'm under the impression that that's connected to the "delayed content update" symptom. The one time I had that error message, I had a second look at the post I wanted to edit and saw that it was missing the previous edit I had saved. Shift-reload fixed that, and the second attempt at the second edit sailed right through.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:50 AM »
Yes, I think that is at least part of the problem. Yesterday I deleted a post, went back to the home page, looked into the thread again and my post was still there. So I tried to delete it again (thought I had clicked on somethinkg wrong) and received an error message.
When I reloaded the thread, I saw that my first attempt to delete it had already been successful, but I couldn't see that without reloading.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 08:53:41 AM »
Yes, I think that is at least part of the problem. Yesterday I deleted a post, went back to the home page, looked into the thread again and my post was still there. So I tried to delete it again (thought I had clicked on somethinkg wrong) and received an error message.
When I reloaded the thread, I saw that my first attempt to delete it had already been successful, but I couldn't see that without reloading.

These bugs seem to be common. Pages often need to be updated to show recently added posts. The thing about post edits being blocked by the "already saved" error is easily worked around by just pressing backspace, saving your post and then reloading the article so you can try again.

Richard Weir 2

Re: Bugs and things to fix - "Reset Password fail!
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
"Richard Weir" here, posting using a new user account - because I forgot my password and can't reset it. The forum "reset password" email fails to be sent, or can't get to me. I have checked all my various spam folders etc.

Eich, it might be a good idea to check this out - good luck! (My suspicion is that the relevant blank email document is missing a mail-merge field or two.)

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Thanks for the fix Eich!
My one-and-only: :uk:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Bugs and things to fix - "Reset Password fail!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
"Richard Weir" here, posting using a new user account - because I forgot my password and can't reset it. The forum "reset password" email fails to be sent, or can't get to me. I have checked all my various spam folders etc.

Eich, it might be a good idea to check this out - good luck! (My suspicion is that the relevant blank email document is missing a mail-merge field or two.)

Eich, same problem here. I still have access because I was logged in, but when trying to access from my computer I forgot password but the reset doesn't work. The email just won't get sent.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »
Alright, so two people haven't gotten change password emails.  I'll look into it after I get the site backed up in a few minutes.  I sent you a pm with a change of password, so go ahead and check your messages.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 05:50:50 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
Okay, the site's all backed up.  That was kind of nerve wracking, cause the whole site could've imploded into a black hole of nothingness, but I did it right :)
Now I can get working on some bug fixes and move on to the bigger improvements.
Feel free to PM.

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
Alright, so two people haven't gotten change password emails.  I'll look into it after I get the site backed up in a few minutes.  I sent you a pm with a change of password, so go ahead and check your messages.

Let's hope the change of password hasn't invalidated her cookie, in which case she won't be able to check!  :o
My one-and-only: :uk:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2014, 12:04:09 PM »
Let's hope the change of password hasn't invalidated her cookie, in which case she won't be able to check!  :o

Actually, I was blocked for a while, so Eich sent me the password (ever imaginative) to my email. "The powers of the admin are great indeed, most indeededly". Yesss!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
Something very weird is happening with these spam bots.
I looked at their IPs and hostnames, and their IPs were all the same as mine, and their hostnames were all from the forum's host.  Not only that, but when I was cross checking everyone's accounts to make sure it was okay to ban them without affecting anyone, about 95% of you all had the same thing going on...  I've just deleted the bot accounts because I don't want to banlist an IP address that might belong to a real member.

This weirdness and the bots are definitely connected.  My hunch is that it either has something to do with my backing up the site yesterday, or Minna's posting a link on her site.  Most likely the backup thing.  If anyone can help, or has any general knowledge on this kind of thing, it'd be appreciated.
Feel free to PM.