Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141097 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #375 on: November 10, 2014, 02:42:35 PM »
*comes out of lurking*

Random question: do you guys use scripts? Searching for tips for my own, non-NaNoWriMo writing. I'm so totally not stuck there, nope... :P

Sort of. I go to school, the kids act as weird as they always do and afterwards I fill up my pages. If they show regular behavior I'm freaking out because it means they finally are near to doing well. If nothing happens I randomly pick one of them and write down their story. If I need inspiration I take a close look at the files.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
Well, I'm doing my best to catch up with you (only 7000 6000 or so words to go! Which isn't hard at all!), so I'm pretty much up for anything. I need to find some M&Ms though.

Will also do:

- Biscuits
- Chocolate
- Chips
- Chocolate
- Coca-Cola
- Did I already say "chocolate"?
- And generally any junk food you can think of
- Plus chocolate, which is not a junk food.

*comes out of lurking*

Random question: do you guys use scripts? Searching for tips for my own, non-NaNoWriMo writing. I'm so totally not stuck there, nope... :P

Clayres, it depends. I know that most of us have at least a rough idea of where the plot will go. Example:

Joe wants a sandwich. He eats his sandwich.

Then we fill in the missing parts:

Joe wants a sandwich. He goes to the kitchen. He makes his sandwich. He eats his sandwich.

And then add the details, etcetera. Then, there are the ever famous plotters and pantsers. Plotters already know everything. They are usually quick writers, because they know what they have to do, and they may easily jump from one point to the other in writing. Pantsers improvise. I'm pansting this novel, so while I have the roughest idea of where this should be going, no plot yet.

It really all depends on what you want to do. You want to have a script, fine. You want to improvise, still fine. However, never make the script too detailed. If it can be mistaked for writing, you're losing time.

Well, I'm doing my best to catch up with you (only 7000 6000 or so words to go! Which isn't hard at all!), so I'm pretty much up for anything. I need to find some M&Ms though.

You can do it! You catch up with me, I catch up with Kex and she catches up with ThisCat. I have no idea who thisCat may be chasing.

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2014, 02:46:42 PM »
*comes out of lurking*

Scripts as in outlining? Because then pretty much no. I already had a good mental picture of the setting for my story, so the most planning I did was for the characters. There are also some key scenes, such as meetings between characters, that I know will happen, but that's pretty much it. To quote myself:

I'd actually consider myself more of a "pantser" (or "exploration" writer), since I actually have no idea what happens in between those scenes. (I know my characters have goals, and I know some of them will complete those goals. I just don't know how.)

I just...uh, stuck those scenes in like...uh, the weirdly infrequent warp threads in a cloth, and then I fill in the space between those definite scenes with....weft threads of unplanned colors. Yeah.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
Nimphy we both caught up on ThisCat today. If she writes today, the hunt will go on. Oh and you are only elven times 100 behind me so you might catch me this evening ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #379 on: November 10, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
Clayres, it depends. I know that most of us have at least a rough idea of where the plot will go. Example:

Joe wants a sandwich. He eats his sandwich.

Then we fill in the missing parts:

Joe wants a sandwich. He goes to the kitchen. He makes his sandwich. He eats his sandwich.

And then add the details, etcetera. Then, there are the ever famous plotters and pantsers. Plotters already know everything. They are usually quick writers, because they know what they have to do, and they may easily jump from one point to the other in writing. Pantsers improvise. I'm pansting this novel, so while I have the roughest idea of where this should be going, no plot yet.

It really all depends on what you want to do. You want to have a script, fine. You want to improvise, still fine. However, never make the script too detailed. If it can be mistaked for writing, you're losing time.
Thanks, y'all.
I'm afraid I'm stuck somewhere between plotting and pantsing, is all. And there are like a thousand ideas in my head that have absolutely nothing to do with the story at hand. Aaargh! Hard to concentrate like that.
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #380 on: November 10, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
Okay, this is WEIRD. NaNo, Wordcounter and my Scrivener give me three different word counts, which are at a difference of 14233 (Scrivener) to 14235 (Wordcounter) and 14307 (NaNoWriMo). WEIRD.

Nimphy we both caught up on ThisCat today. If she writes today, the hunt will go on. Oh and you are only elven times 100 behind me so you might catch me this evening ;).

Do not use my own system to scare me. May we have another word race? I could catch up in half an hour to 45 minutes. At :05?

Thanks.
I'm afraid I'm stuck somewhere between plotting and pantsing, is all. And there are like a thousand ideas in my head that have absolutely nothing to do with the story at hand. Aaargh! Hard to concentrate like that.

I know, trust me! Come on, you can do it, we all believe in you! If a thought doesn't go away, you either adapt it to your story (or the story to it), or write it down for a future story. And being stuck between the two is not a bad thing. I often switch myself. It's how you should write. Be whatever you have to be for your story.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #381 on: November 10, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
I know, trust me! Come on, you can do it, we all believe in you! If a thought doesn't go away, you either adapt it to your story (or the story to it), or write it down for a future story. And being stuck between the two is not a bad thing. I often switch myself. It's how you should write. Be whatever you have to be for your story.
Thanks again. *mumblesIcandothisIcandothisIcandothisIcandomumblemumblemumble...*
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #382 on: November 10, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
Okay, this is WEIRD. NaNo, Wordcounter and my Scrivener give me three different word counts, which are at a difference of 14233 (Scrivener) to 14235 (Wordcounter) and 14307 (NaNoWriMo). WEIRD.

I think it depends on things like whether or not hyphenated words are counted as one or two and and what characters are counted as words and little things like that. Different word counts always mystified me. Though apparently NaNoWriMo's count is the most favorable, so maybe I should use that. ;)

EDIT: Huh. My program (Writemonkey) gives a count of 8888, as does NaNoWriMo, and Wordcounter gives 8885. Also, apparently I've been spelling "grey/ gray" the non-American way this whole time...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:26:22 PM by mithrysc »

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #383 on: November 10, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
Augh, my brain hurts now. I wrote more than 3000 words already, and I'm still not quite caught up. At least we'll have good, (un)healthy food for dinner.

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #384 on: November 10, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
I was writing slowly, but I still managed to write 530 words. Yay.  (You know the history lessons you're all writing? Now it's my turn...)

I eventually finished that history lesson - after eight pages. And I was really looking forward to writing after school today but forgot my folder at home. So no writing for me. (Probably won't get home for another hour at least.)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #385 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
I eventually finished that history lesson - after eight pages. And I was really looking forward to writing after school today but forgot my folder at home. So no writing for me. (Probably won't get home for another hour at least.)
Aww. :( Hopefully you'll get home really quickly/ come up with lots of brilliant ideas/ find more paper that you won't mind using?

My history lessons are only a couple of paragraphs each. Hm. I have no idea how much pages they take up combined.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:27:44 PM by mithrysc »

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #386 on: November 10, 2014, 07:39:55 PM »
Aww. :( Hopefully you'll get home really quickly/ come up with lots of brilliant ideas/ find more paper that you won't mind using?

My history lessons are only a couple of paragraphs each. Hm. I have no idea how much pages they take up combined.

Okay! I just got home! I actually was able to find some paper - napkins. I managed to get a lot onto those, but I don't think I'll try them again in the future if I can help it.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #387 on: November 10, 2014, 07:44:42 PM »
Okay! I just got home! I actually was able to find some paper - napkins. I managed to get a lot onto those, but I don't think I'll try them again in the future if I can help it.
Ah, the typical material for geniuses and flashes of inspirations--the trusty paper napkin. :P

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
If anyone's interested in writing at the same time as someone else in the world, I'll be doing sprints at :30 pretty much hourly. Need to get my word count up, after all.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:35 AM »
If anyone's interested in writing at the same time as someone else in the world, I'll be doing sprints at :30 pretty much hourly. Need to get my word count up, after all.

I- I can do that! I'm on a roll - wrote over 2000 words yesterday - and have time to write! Hooray!