Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141068 times)

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #780 on: November 02, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
Seems like my this year's story happens in the Westfjords of Iceland and is based on Icelandic mythology. I've only written mystery/horror once before this so I'm having the time of my life! :D

So far I've introduced six characters to the story, but more are to come. In order of appearance: Elena, Anne, Timo, Leah, Inge and Jonathan. Situation of each character according to what's been written out so far (= no spoilers) in the cut.

Spoiler: show
Elena: has made her way inside the house where most of the story will happen in, has just realized she has been provided with dry clothes and food that seem to have appeard out of thin air.
Stats: alive but physically and mentally unwell.

Anne + Timo: descending down the mountain towards the house Elena and Leah are already in, going in as the third and fourth person.
Stats: alive, quarrelling.

Leah: the second person to enter, has yet to realize she's been locked in.
Stats: alive and well.

Inge: lost on the highlands in a storm.
Stats: alive with wet feet.

Jonathan: has been very obviously locked in the house as the fifth person to arrive there, is staying vigilant but may be missing out on a detail or two.
Stats: dead, otherwise ok but has hurt his knee and is panicking a little.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:45:57 AM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #781 on: November 02, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »
Seems like my this year's story happens in the Westfjords of Iceland and is based on Icelandic mythology. I've only written mystery/horror once before this so I'm having the time of my life! :D

So far I've introduced six characters to the story, but more are to come. In order of appearance: Elena, Anne, Timo, Leah, Inge and Jonathan. Situation of each character according to what's been written out so far (= no spoilers) in the cut.

Elena: has made her way inside the house where most of the story will happen in, has just realized she has been provided with dry clothes and food that seem to have appeard out of thin air.

Anne + Timo: descending down the mountain towards the house Anastasia and Leah are already in, going in as the third and fourth person.

Jonathan: has been very obviously locked in the house as the fifth person to arrive there, is staying vigilant but may be missing out on a detail or two.
"but may be missing out on a detail or two", ahem ^^° It seems... interesting, Laufey. Not usually my readings, but it may be the way you're talking about your characters which make it interesting :)

Meanwhile, I'm in a forest, and I haven't get back the characters from the first part yet. And the first character who appeared in this part of the story is... in a not-so-good condition. I'm sorry.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #782 on: November 02, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »

Anne + Timo: descending down the mountain towards the house Anastasia and Leah are already in, going in as the third and fourth person.

Oh gosh...you know things are going to get interesting when the stats listed for each character include clarification about whether or not they're alive. (I'm now really tempted to do this for my characters, but since I'm finishing instead of starting something it would end up being a lot more complicated, haha.)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #783 on: November 02, 2015, 10:02:53 PM »
I wrote drafts for two poems. I'll consider that success for the day.

You seems to be in a good writing mood if you're productive so early in the morning !

Weeeeellllll just because I manage to get writing done so early, doesn't mean it's actually good writing. :'D But that's okay. There's always time to fix it later.

Laufey ... mystery/horror, you say? This story sounds incredibly relevant to my interests.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #784 on: November 02, 2015, 10:04:31 PM »
Laufey ... mystery/horror, you say? This story sounds incredibly relevant to my interests.

OOOOHHH MEEEE!!!! *raises hand*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #785 on: November 03, 2015, 01:47:39 AM »
Hahah maybe I'll post some snippets here once I've written the thing and edited it! That'll take at least until December though I'm afraid, hopefully not longer (my last year's NaNo project is still waiting for me to get to editing it)...

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #786 on: November 03, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »

Only six characters you say? I have... *tries to count* *realises she should probably only count those she have mentioned during this years NaNo* The problem with starting in chapter 16 of a story, there are already so many characters xD

Spoiler: anyway • show

Main Characters:
Zara: A demidigimon and one of the chosen childrens. Have a Gabumon as partner. Have currently left her other friends to find Yamato. Have the ability to digivolve into Iceangel.
Mats: Another demidigimon and also a chosen kid. He is currently on his way to Hountai together with Kouichi. Have the ability to digivolve into Firedemon.
Kouichi: One of the japanese chosen children, but have moved to Sweden to be with his boyfriend Mats. He is currently on his way to Hountai with Mats. Have the ability to Spirit Evolve into Löwemon.
Kouji: Kouichi's younger twin. Lives in Sweden together with Yamato and Zara. He's currently sleeping at home after getting sick playing in the snow. Have the ability to Spirit Evolve into Wolfmon.
Yamato: Another of the Japanese chosen children. He is currently tied to a chair. Have yet to find his digimon partner.

Lesser Characters:
Max: No one really knows his role in this, but he seems to be behind a lot. He's working in the shadows to help the MCs save the digital world. He is currently in a place called "Skymningsdimensionen", which holds portals to many worlds.
Myotismon: Villain? Good guy? They can't tell for sure yet. Current whereabouts: Unknown. Was last seen in the desert town where he was protecting a blue tower.
Dorumon: Mats' digimon partner. Really likes food. He is currently buried under a pile of sand. Can digivolve into Dorugamon.
Gabumon and Gabumon: Yamato's and Zara's digimon partners. One is currently in "Skymningsdimensionen" with Max, the other in some ruins in the desert with Zara. Have the ability to digivolve into Garurumon.
Chris: Have only been mentioned, but is an important asset to the team. Current whereabouts: Unknown, but probably at home.
Iceangel: Probably what you would call a villain. Current whereabouts: Not where the heroes thought she would be.

If I should list all characters that have appeared in the story I will never be able to leave, haha xD

Hahah maybe I'll post some snippets here once I've written the thing and edited it! That'll take at least until December though I'm afraid, hopefully not longer (my last year's NaNo project is still waiting for me to get to editing it)...
noooo, post all the snippets already! \o/ I'd post some, but they're in Swedish :P
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #787 on: November 03, 2015, 03:45:19 AM »
I've had a slow start to my Nano, but things are getting better now.  So far, I only have two named characters.  This is a sci-fi fantasy adventure/thriller.  So far, anyway.  We'll see how many genres I end up smashing into this.

Mark: He's a soldier.  I don't know what sort exactly, but he deals with High Value Targets, so I guess he's pretty competent.  He was sent to capture Narshona.  Age: 21

Narshona: She is a mage, and unfortunately some ruthless badguys forced her to attack people and strategic locations, so the government wants her dead now.  Hence Mark hunting her down.  Age: 19

Then they get stuck in a mine shaft and Mark starts learning that Narshona has some pretty serious magical problems that are ruining her life.  And that's pretty much what I've written so far.

An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Mélusine

« Reply #788 on: November 03, 2015, 12:51:45 PM »
*Beginning of a complain about a small and insignificant problem*
Haaaaaaa, this chapter will be too loooooooong !
*End of a complain about a small and insignificant problem*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #789 on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
I try to end my chapters after around 10 pages. Since the story's gonna be thrown up on the interwebs after I'm done (or at least sort of done) I don't want too long walls of text.

Let me complain about something that shouldn't be a NaNo-problem but a December-problem!
Aaaaah, stupid in-world towers that are blocking the signal and therefore making the very important conversation I just wrote unable to happen. I needed it for story progression! Now I don't know what to do! I should just delete the whole conversation and start the chapter over, but my words! xD

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Mélusine

« Reply #790 on: November 03, 2015, 01:10:08 PM »
I try to end my chapters after around 10 pages. Since the story's gonna be thrown up on the interwebs after I'm done (or at least sort of done) I don't want too long walls of text.
I had defined my chapter by... how to say, time moments ? Every chapter has three parts inside, and it wasn't done on purpose. This one will be not enough balanced, the first part is big but I absolutely need it, the two others will be shorter, and even if I have already wrote 2500 words today (I began this chapter today.) I'm still in this first part T_T

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #791 on: November 03, 2015, 03:07:19 PM »
I had defined my chapter by... how to say, time moments ? Every chapter has three parts inside, and it wasn't done on purpose. This one will be not enough balanced, the first part is big but I absolutely need it, the two others will be shorter, and even if I have already wrote 2500 words today (I began this chapter today.) I'm still in this first part T_T

My first thought was having each chapter be a day or something, but then I noticed that some days was like 30 pages long while others was only 1 page so I changed it! 10 pages works pretty well, although some end up 7 and others might end up 12 pages, but it's still around 10 ^^

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #792 on: November 03, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
I'm rather bad at judging what action will happen and how long it will take, so I seldom write chapters in my first draft, I just write the narrative and figure I will sort out what sections should become chapters in the editing process.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Windfighter

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #793 on: November 03, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »
I'm rather bad at judging what action will happen and how long it will take, so I seldom write chapters in my first draft, I just write the narrative and figure I will sort out what sections should become chapters in the editing process.

What I've read in books about writing that is the recommended way to go about it. I did that way for my second NaNo, the first one I just wrote scenes and figured I could bind them together at a later time :P
The one I'm writing now was supposed to get up on the interwebs as I finished the chapters, which is why I divide it into chapters already ^^

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #794 on: November 03, 2015, 05:58:02 PM »
Four more people joined the story during today's writing, still a few more for a whole set and then the game can begin!

Gita: has entered the house and locked herself in it voluntarily, a fact that bears mentioning because she's the first one to do so instead of getting locked in by the owner. Has met Jonathan, who happened to sit by the same door she climbed in through.
Stats: alive, feeling massively embarrassed about trailing wet footsteps across the floors.

Agata: walking towards the house with her two friends after driving their car off the road and getting it stuck in a ditch.
Stats: alive, very ill-prepared for both the weather and the countryside.

Hugrún: walking towards the house with her twin sister and Agata.
Stats: alive, surprisingly good at walking with high heels over rough terrain.

Guðrún: walking towards the house with the other two, has just spotted Inge heading down the mountain. To be fair Inge spotted the trio way before.
Stats: alive, the only one of the three who'd rather go back to sit in the car instead of looking for help.

Inge: has finally found the house, is looking forward to dry socks.
Stats: alive, tired.