Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141097 times)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #720 on: October 25, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »
I've decided that with my terrible writer's block and indecision about what story to write, and the story I was considering writing completely changing on me into something I couldn't comprehend....Well, I decided I would be better off writing a giant worldbuilding book and basically planning out a some of my major series and other stories and fixing them to some coherent timeline in Thren and then detailing the societies in those stories.  Because, I can still ramble about my stories, but it's impossible for me to write a story.  Probably because I'm getting closer to having a hundred stories, and they really need to have their worldbuilding and Thren's history and timeline sorted out so they aren't just floating around messily but so they can be condensed and contained and categorized.  With alliteration, apparently.  I'm calling my project the Secrets of Thren, and I guess I'm a nano rebel now since it's not really a novel, it's more like behind-the-scenes stuff.
I think it's going to be a giant mess.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #721 on: October 25, 2015, 08:32:57 PM »
I've decided that with my terrible writer's block and indecision about what story to write, and the story I was considering writing completely changing on me into something I couldn't comprehend....Well, I decided I would be better off writing a giant worldbuilding book and basically planning out a some of my major series and other stories and fixing them to some coherent timeline in Thren and then detailing the societies in those stories.  Because, I can still ramble about my stories, but it's impossible for me to write a story.  Probably because I'm getting closer to having a hundred stories, and they really need to have their worldbuilding and Thren's history and timeline sorted out so they aren't just floating around messily but so they can be condensed and contained and categorized.  With alliteration, apparently.  I'm calling my project the Secrets of Thren, and I guess I'm a nano rebel now since it's not really a novel, it's more like behind-the-scenes stuff.
I think it's going to be a giant mess.

*hi fives Jethan* I'm doing something similar! So we can be rebels together (although is it really rebelling? It's still a work of fiction... ah, who cares? As long as we have fun ;D)

And wow a hundred stories is a lot. Yeah, it's probably best to get those all organized in time before you have a go at them. I look forward to hearing about the many secrets of Thren! ^-^
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #722 on: October 25, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
Woot! *hi fives back* We shall be Nano rebels together!  The list of stories I have is at 80, but some of those are series, not the individual stories, so it's probably really close to 100.  And I think that's why I have writers block.xP  I'm going to try writing a post about it on my writing blog, and during nano I'll probably post updates on on wordcounts and maybe a few tidbits of Thren's secrets.  ;D  And probably more detailed stuff about kingdoms or societies since they're not necessarily spoilers.  (I was going to jokingly call this project Spoilers of Thren.)

*Is excited and daunted*
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #723 on: October 25, 2015, 10:32:50 PM »
*hi fives Jethan* I'm doing something similar! So we can be rebels together (although is it really rebelling? It's still a work of fiction... ah, who cares? As long as we have fun ;D)

And wow a hundred stories is a lot. Yeah, it's probably best to get those all organized in time before you have a go at them. I look forward to hearing about the many secrets of Thren! ^-^

*double high fives*

I'm probably also going to be doing something similar. Either that or I'm going to be doing an interactive fiction thing (less likely as time goes by), so rebel either way.

Side note: coincidentally, the "name"/working name/who knows of one of the characters whose world I may or may not be building is Thren.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:38:13 PM by mithrysc »

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #724 on: October 26, 2015, 02:39:24 AM »
*double high fives*

I'm probably also going to be doing something similar. Either that or I'm going to be doing an interactive fiction thing (less likely as time goes by), so rebel either way.

Side note: coincidentally, the "name"/working name/who knows of one of the characters whose world I may or may not be building is Thren.

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!  I had that name since I was a kid!!!!!!!!  It's miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine
Oh, well.
Have fun being part of the rebel band!

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #725 on: October 26, 2015, 08:55:38 AM »
Well first you've gotta go to File > Make a copy... to make your own copy of the spreadsheet. Then at the end of each day, just type in how many words you wrote that day in the green box and it will magically calculate for you! The box above the green shows your goal for that day (which adjusts based on what you wrote previous days), and the box below shows how much more or less you wrote than that goal. Play around with putting random numbers in, it's very shiny!

Welcome, everyone, to lesson number one on why it's a bad idea to have every programthingie on your computer in Swedish!

anyway, yay! I think I got it to work! There was so many options for what to save it as I had no idea which one to chose but I got it at last *cheers*
And very shiny indeed *looks at the magical shiny sheet*
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #726 on: October 26, 2015, 04:20:17 PM »
Ooh, we have a NaNoWriMo thread! (Every time I look at this forum it gets better, I swear). I've done it three times and I'm going to do it again this year...sort of. I've been working on editing/finishing my novel from NaNo 2013 all year, and I'm so close to the end that I can't afford to stop. So I'm just going to work on that and count my words towards the goal...and if I manage to finish, I can start something else! If anyone wants to be writing buddies, my username is paintedmango.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

P__

« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »
Oh hi. I finally made a NaNo account (I'm sure you can all guess the nick I used).
I'll be translating a novel, how should I categorize that?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »
Oh hi. I finally made a NaNo account (I'm sure you can all guess the nick I used).
I'll be translating a novel, how should I categorize that?
Yaaay, writing sessions ! :D With a lot of tea ! (Or hot chocolate.)
"Other" ? I'm pretty sure there is an "Other" possibility.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Mélusine

« Reply #729 on: October 30, 2015, 09:17:55 AM »
Soon soon soon... Are all of you ready ? :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #730 on: October 30, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »

I'm as ready as I'll ever be. ;p (So, not ready at all....)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #731 on: October 30, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »

I'm never ready for NaNoWriMo, it always sneaks up on me and suddenly I'm in the NaNovoid...
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #732 on: October 30, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »

Definitely...not. And of course I'm going to busy all of the first day, and probably over the next weekend too...

Hm. We'll see how this goes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:08:37 PM by mithrysc »

Mélusine

« Reply #733 on: October 30, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
I'm never ready for NaNoWriMo, it always sneaks up on me and suddenly I'm in the NaNovoid...
Hey, but... yes, I don't know who you are on the NaNo page.
Or I may have forgot some of you here. (In this case : I'm sorry.) *Tends to think the more we are, the more we encourage each others* :)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #734 on: October 30, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »

I keep getting new ideas and scrapping the old ones.  I got the vaguest story idea today, and it's competing against my worldbuilding idea.  I guess I'll just switch between them when I get stuck.  My nano is going to be chaos.  Just chaos.
I should probably switch my badge from Planner to Pantser...Or maybe both, because I do both.  What kind of badges are you hoping to get?