Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141059 times)

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #705 on: October 14, 2015, 02:05:43 AM »
I have my notebook, pens, some candies, and tea ready to go.
But do I have my main character's name?  Nope...not quite ready.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #706 on: October 14, 2015, 05:22:46 AM »
So whose ready for the writing frenzy? I know I'm kinda ready.
Well, not exactly... I still have to do the plan and I hate doing that so everything else is better to do. But I have a notebook, a playlist, I know where my characters are, I know them even if some of them aren't completely ready. What could go wrong ? :)
DancingRanger, I think I don't have added you on the NaNo page ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #707 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:00 AM »
I have my notebook, pens, some candies, and tea ready to go.
But do I have my main character's name?  Nope...not quite ready.

Substitute "computer and a neat little writing app" and I'm in a similar position. (actually none of my characters have names....) (and I still need to do some planning)

Naming is the worst for me because I can't scroll through a list of names and choose one at random, and I have an even worse time just making one up without some sort of basis. I'm pretty sure I dealt with this last year by referring to characters as the Girl, the Bird, the Shopkeeper, etc or just with respective pronouns.

Mélusine

« Reply #708 on: October 14, 2015, 09:02:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure I dealt with this last year by referring to characters as the Girl, the Bird, the Shopkeeper, etc or just with respective pronouns.
Sometimes characters have a name, and months/years after it's not the good name anymore. I can find at least four characters... no, wait, five... six... well. I know that :) It's not an obstacle when you want to write.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
« Reply #709 on: October 14, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
DancingRanger, I think I don't have added you on the NaNo page ?

I don't think I have a NaNo account. I think I might have, but I never used it?

Edit: I just signed up for an account. Same username as here. Add me if you'd like? I'm not sure how to yet.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:53:36 AM by DancingRanger »
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Mélusine

« Reply #710 on: October 15, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
How to understand that your brain was finally accustomed to do the plans you hated to do for your university's exams ? When you prepare your plan for the NaNo, every chapter is in three parts O_o

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #711 on: October 21, 2015, 10:46:52 AM »
Well for once in my life, November's coming up and I actually have an idea that I badly want to write, so! *parks butt in the NaNo chair, lowers goggles onto eyes*

The timing, though, is actually pretty awful. I'm also in the process of searching for a new job, studying for a new job, and keeping myself sane in the literal sense. So I'm gonna be nice to myself and use the bits I've already written as a rainy day stash for those days when I need to use all my energy for interviews or talking to insurance or whatever. Between doing that and dividing up my after-work time into 30min chunks (write for 30min, stop and study for 30min, play with cats for 15min, get something to eat for another 15...), I'm hoping it'll work out.

Anyway, I wanted to share this spreadsheet! It lets you know how much you need to write per day so that you write progressively less each day until on the 30th you only have to write two words. It gives you the daily goals, and then you put in how many words you actually wrote, and it calculates the rest of your daily goals accordingly.

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #712 on: October 23, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
Mm... I may finally have an idea.

NaNo, Nimsi incoming!
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Windfighter

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Theologian of the Minnion Church
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #713 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
oh, hey, I found the NaNo-thread again! Long time no see people!

Hushpiper, awesome spreadsheet! How do I go about using it? I am not very technical so I assume it's very simple but I just don't see it :P

Anyways, I'm totally prepared for NaNo! Thanks to Nim we've been having writing sessions in the chat so I've gotten warmed up with writing as well. I also kind of know what I'll be writing: The same story I wrote last year. Unless something drastic happens that makes me change my mind. This means I already know my characters, I already know the plot and I already know how it's supposed to end so I don't need to solve those things when it's time to start! I've never been this prepared before, yay!

Also I'm thinking if anyone else is interested we'll be holding word wars and writing sessions in the ssss_writers chat during NaNo to help up our wordcounts. How about it?

Also, I can be found on the NaNo-site as Windfighter, if you want to add me as a writing buddy <3
Fluent: :sweden:
Decent: :uk:
Phrases: :spain: / :japan:
:book1+:

My stories frequently features themes such as death, suicide, mourning, etc; I cannot give precise warnings for each individual stories, as it would spoil the intrigues.

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #714 on: October 23, 2015, 06:36:56 PM »
I'm on the NaNo site as Yuuago (well, I'm Yuuago almost everywhere, really) and will be participating... sort of.

Full-blown NaNo is completely beyond what I can do, so I'm actually doing Mini-Wrimo, which is a challenge organized on Dreamwidth/Livejournal, with a daily minimum of 100 words. Much more doable for me. ;p But I will be tracking my wordcount and, of course, cheering on all of you cool cats who're doing NaNo in the way it was intended.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

loki

• Scout
  • santas goin NUTS
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #715 on: October 23, 2015, 06:51:13 PM »
!! I'd really love to participate in NaNoWriMo, but I've been saying that for the past 3 years, and so novels remain unwritten...I think a writing community here at/in the forum would be fantastic to be a part of!  8)
(ㅇㅅㅇ❀)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #716 on: October 23, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
!! I'd really love to participate in NaNoWriMo, but I've been saying that for the past 3 years, and so novels remain unwritten...I think a writing community here at/in the forum would be fantastic to be a part of!  8)

It might be worth trying anyway. Or setting your own smaller goal if a novel doesn't seem attainable. : D With a community to be encouraging (like, this place) it's much easier to get things done, I think.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

ClairityKoi

« Reply #717 on: October 24, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »
Me participating would look like me finishing any one of my numerous projects, which includes my poor SSSSona fanfiction =( which I think is a good idea, but one that would require me to become a lot more involved and sociable in this community. I only talk to a select few of people at small random intervals, so that'd be a lot I think. :P for now at least.

I still would like to finish one of my projects. I have a lot of good ideas, and I know and believe that I can articulate them well.
It's not leaving the comfort of your shell, it's expanding its confines... <3

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #718 on: October 25, 2015, 05:03:33 AM »
Heeey, look at this thread! I'm doing NaNoWriMo too, what a coincidence  ;)

I tried it a couple of years ago, but school came in and majorly slowed everything down- this time I've actually written out my plot beforehand though, so that may help. We should all become writing buddies, that would be awesome.

--> my username is dom1n1qu3cottr3ll : )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:09:58 AM by amaranthineamusement »
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #719 on: October 25, 2015, 01:15:08 PM »
Hushpiper, awesome spreadsheet! How do I go about using it? I am not very technical so I assume it's very simple but I just don't see it :P

Well first you've gotta go to File > Make a copy... to make your own copy of the spreadsheet. Then at the end of each day, just type in how many words you wrote that day in the green box and it will magically calculate for you! The box above the green shows your goal for that day (which adjusts based on what you wrote previous days), and the box below shows how much more or less you wrote than that goal. Play around with putting random numbers in, it's very shiny!