Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141074 times)

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
Ah, third person! As long as the villain doesn't reveal his master plan to us before the hero gets to know in in the Villany Monologue Scene, it should be fine.

Only problem is I now have to design my villain...
I almost always write in third person. It seems more natural to me.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
I almost always write in third person. It seems more natural to me.

Yeah, same here. Either that, or, strangely enough, first person plural. I'm still trying to figure out why I have such an avoidance to writing "I".

(also, ThisCat, is there some pattern to the changing of the cryptic numbered lines that appear in your signature?)

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
Yeah, same here. Either that, or, strangely enough, first person plural. I'm still trying to figure out why I have such an avoidance to writing "I".

(also, ThisCat, is there some pattern to the changing of the cryptic numbered lines that appear in your signature?)

I think I dislike writing "I" because I rarely actually write about myself.

(hehe, I was wondering when someone would take notice of that. Today's line might give a hint actually.)
 Mostly quiet.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2014, 03:32:48 AM »
So yesterday, I could write a bit in the car, but had no internet access to update my word count - and now I've got internet access, but can't access my laptop to count the words.  ::) Anyway, I think it was some 3-4 pages in OpenOffice, so I'm pretty satisfied.
Mute dragon sound really interesting!
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2014, 04:14:52 AM »
I think I dislike writing "I" because I rarely actually write about myself.

(hehe, I was wondering when someone would take notice of that. Today's line might give a hint actually.)

(I had taken notice of that weeks ago, but please don't reveal it yet. I've been trying to decode the messages, sshhhh!)

I actually like writing in first person, and those stories never end up being about myself. On the contrary, when I can get in the head of the characters directly, not only does the narration get a lot more expressive, but the characters take life of their own. Sometimes they even do stuff they're not supposed to do but is better for the story. (Plus, I never write from a single POV, so it's almost impossible to write about yourself when you have three lively characters.) That being said, I'm writing this story in third limited because it feels right this way.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »
I think the telepathic breed of dragons managed to spread to two books by now. [Sound of an irony detector undergoing matter-antimatter-annihilation in the next state over] One of these days, we'll likely read of telekinetic dragons whose human companions relay their messages against their own will. 8)

_. ._ _. _ _ _ . _ _ ._. .. _ _ _ _ _    .. _.   _ _ _ _ _ ._. ... . _._. _ _ _ .?

Uf, not sure what that'd do to my wordcount ;).
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2014, 08:47:42 AM »
Uf, not sure what that'd do to my wordcount ;).
Nothing, words in morse correspond to the words in the plaintext. Character, line and page counts would get interesting, though. ;)

(I initially wanted to refer to Eurythmie and the famous, if misled, meme of "dance your name" etc.. That would be a puzzler for word counting!)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
(I had taken notice of that weeks ago, but please don't reveal it yet. I've been trying to decode the messages, sshhhh!)

I actually like writing in first person, and those stories never end up being about myself. On the contrary, when I can get in the head of the characters directly, not only does the narration get a lot more expressive, but the characters take life of their own. Sometimes they even do stuff they're not supposed to do but is better for the story. (Plus, I never write from a single POV, so it's almost impossible to write about yourself when you have three lively characters.) That being said, I'm writing this story in third limited because it feels right this way.

(If you want a hint, there are exactly 16 lines. Good luck, tell me when you've got it.)

I do write first person sometimes, though never fanfiction, and it's fun enough. I think it depends very much on what kind of story I'm writing.
 Mostly quiet.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:37 AM »
Nothing, words in morse correspond to the words in the plaintext. Character, line and page counts would get interesting, though. ;)

(I initially wanted to refer to Eurythmie and the famous, if misled, meme of "dance your name" etc.. That would be a puzzler for word counting!)
Eurythmie...
performing my rather discriptional plot would definitely got spiced by dancing it. Though I fear Nanowrimo would not like the huge amount of data by videos :D. I have do admit that Eurithmie seems quite weird to me, but I'm quite ignorant on Antroposiphists. On the other Eurythmic dragons would be really nice!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:38:50 PM by kex »

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2014, 09:39:14 AM »
(If you want a hint, there are exactly 16 lines. Good luck, tell me when you've got it.)

I do write first person sometimes, though never fanfiction, and it's fun enough. I think it depends very much on what kind of story I'm writing.

Fanfiction and first POV are two things that shouldn't be in the same sentence. I mean... It just feels wrong. The characters are not yours, how can you pretend to know enough about their mind and their lives to be their narrating voice? I like writing fanfiction from time to time, but always in third POV (mostly limited, I couldn't write third omni to save my life).
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
Adding onto the point of view discussion, I'm currently doing first person and switching between four narrators - it's proving immensely challenging. (Possibly because I have almost no experience with first person.) I'm considering going over to third for the duration of November and then translating it back to first if I ever edit it. Would this be a good idea?

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Adding onto the point of view discussion, I'm currently doing first person and switching between four narrators - it's proving immensely challenging. (Possibly because I have almost no experience with first person.) I'm considering going over to third for the duration of November and then translating it back to first if I ever edit it. Would this be a good idea?
[/quote
Might work. If helps your creativity it's definitely the right way. Mine is a discripton from a first person narrator but most times I have to use third person while portraiing the characters history. I think I will start switching between the person's descriptions because it is really boring only reading about one person only all the time. This will give me the opportunity to compare the steps of development each of them makes. Also I plan on putting in intermissions containing kind of philosophical issues, but first I have to see how I will do during work days.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Sparky Dragon

• Scout
  • [Insert witty/amusing phrase here.]
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
I haven't done first person in a veeery long time,and this time I'm going for a more-or-less omniscient third person view, which is probably a good thing because I ended up with a grand total of seven[/b] main characters. :P

Chapter Breaks Survived: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Runner-Up in the International Mirror-Throwing Games, Year 89

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
I haven't done first person in a veeery long time,and this time I'm going for a more-or-less omniscient third person view, which is probably a good thing because I ended up with a grand total of seven[/b] main characters. :P

It's been forever and a year since I last did first person, and I'm finding really challenging. Not to mention I have four main characters. For now I think I will do third, but follow a different character for each section. (Like, you'll know how they feel and how they think the others feel but won't actually be inside they're head.)

ThisCat

• Ranger
« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »
It took me 3154 words to give the name of my second MC, but I did. Rejoice.
 Mostly quiet.