Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141086 times)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #600 on: November 28, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »
You can do it Fen Shen! Just stick in some more descriptions of the wind blowing over the grass in the plains or something.

Important emergency post.

Holy. Troll. The NaNo word counter has reached 50k. It's turned a pretty purple. It's got the word winner on it. I wrote 50k words. I have novel with a plot. The NaNo crew is apparently cheering for me, together with the dinosaur plushie in a cute video. I'm just staring at the screen, laughing every once in a while with an incredulous expression. I won this thing? I won NaNo!! I wrote a novel! Which still needs a few more thousand words, but I wrote a novel!!! There are not enough exlamation points in the universe for this. Forget about Physics! I could get a 2 and still be happy! I won NaNoWriMo!!

(Everyone hurry up! I believe in you! A few word sprints and you'll get there!)
Yesssss! You did it!

Unfortunately a few word sprints won't cut it for me, but I'm happy to have gotten as much as I did. My plot was okay, I guess, but I was really running out of inspiration.

On the other hand, I've unearthed a mysterious folder labelled "writing" on my computer. It contains a lot of weird, vaguely poetic half-stories (along with files that contain only a single line each) that I apparently wrote in the beginning of the year. Maybe I'll start working on one of those.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:06:48 PM by mithrysc »

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #601 on: November 28, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
Congratulations everyone who has won so far!

You can do it, Fen Shen! Halfway through my writing I "finished" my story so I took a skim of what I had written.
I think the plot changed at least twice and I know the point of view changed three times. Also, one character's name changed about ten times! I probably will have to scrap half of what I wrote, so now I'm making a really really detailed guide for myself. It's going to tell me almost everything that happens so that the editing process will be a piece of cake. (I'm fairly certain that writing an extremely detailed outline is just a fancy way of saying "writing a story from the wrong point of view without any dialogue so that the author actually understands what is happening in their own book", so it counts toward my word count!) It's actually helping to clear up a lot of confusion and made me realize some events would make more sense if I put them in a different order. I'll be done with it soon and get back to writing prose. Uh, sorry about the rambling...

Anyway! You will be fine!

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #602 on: November 28, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
You can do it Fen Shen! Just stick in some more descriptions of the wind blowing over the grass in the plains or something.
Yesssss! You did it!

Unfortunately a few word sprints won't cut it for me, but I'm happy to have gotten as much as I did. My plot was okay, I guess, but I was really running out of inspiration.

On the other hand, I've unearthed a mysterious folder labelled "writing" on my computer. It contains a lot of weird, vaguely poetic half-stories (along with files that contain only a single line each) that I apparently wrote in the beginning of the year. Maybe I'll start working on one of those.

Myth, do try. In a thirty-minute sprint you can get 1k, or even 2k if you're incredibly fast! Trust usssss!

(Oh well. Whatever works for you! If you're happy with what you've written, I'm happy for you :))
And Fen Shen! Do no let me down! I trust in you, you can do it! Write like crazy! Describe the warm touch of a brother, describe a tree, describe a rock if you must. If you really must, word padding is allowed. (For example, writing t t t t r r r e e e e instead of just tree, but, I suppose you wouldn't like that).
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fenris

« Reply #603 on: November 28, 2014, 10:11:41 PM »
Seems like its time for me to throw in the towel, as it were. Way too much unexpected work cropped up past weeks. Congratulations to those who made it though!

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #604 on: November 28, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
I finally reached the "you should be here" line. Yay. (I like comparing our word count graphs. You guys have fairly straight ones but mine jumps around everywhere.) Good night.

Nimphy

« Reply #605 on: November 29, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
I finally reached the "you should be here" line. Yay. (I like comparing our word count graphs. You guys have fairly straight ones but mine jumps around everywhere.) Good night.

Aww, I love your graph! It's all nice and... Well, with lots of curves, like a real graph... And you are at the point you should be in, now write like crazy, you can do it, I trust in you!

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Nimphy

« Reply #606 on: November 29, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
Uh... I feel really bad right now. I was going on with the writing and for some reason a character of mine just lost his mind. Completely. Aww, I liked him a lot! Guess that's what I get for brutally murdering his mentor off-screen, though...

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #607 on: November 29, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
Uh... I feel really bad right now. I was going on with the writing and for some reason a character of mine just lost his mind. Completely. Aww, I liked him a lot! Guess that's what I get for brutally murdering his mentor off-screen, though...

I'm sorry. I had to laugh at the way you wrote that.

You'll be glad to know I'm a winner now! Now I get to edit, which is my absolute favorite part of the writing process but one I've only had the chance to enjoy once before. In seventh grade. With a short story.

Nimphy

« Reply #608 on: November 29, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »
I'm sorry. I had to laugh at the way you wrote that.

You'll be glad to know I'm a winner now! Now I get to edit, which is my absolute favorite part of the writing process but one I've only had the chance to enjoy once before. In seventh grade. With a short story.

EEK! So glad for you, Steller! You won! Congratulations! You do know you'll have to share your story with us, now, right? Because you'll be forced to! We're already in three, now let's just hope that Fen Shen may make it too in the 26 hours she has left. We believe in her, don't we?

There's nothing to laugh at that (but which part made you laugh? I may finally understand this 'humourism' thing, and how it works, so tell me please)! I like him and he just started seeing things that shouldn't be there and losing sense of reality, darn it! Oh, well, I can see to that he beomces sane again, in some time.  ;D

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #609 on: November 29, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
EEK! So glad for you, Steller! You won! Congratulations! You do know you'll have to share your story with us, now, right? Because you'll be forced to! We're already in three, now let's just hope that Fen Shen may make it too in the 26 hours she has left. We believe in her, don't we?

There's nothing to laugh at that (but which part made you laugh? I may finally understand this 'humourism' thing, and how it works, so tell me please)! I like him and he just started seeing things that shouldn't be there and losing sense of reality, darn it! Oh, well, I can see to that he beomces sane again, in some time.  ;D

As soon as I piece it back together again, you're all welcome to it.

The funny part was "Aww, I liked him a lot! Guess that's what I get for brutally murdering his mentor off-screen, though..."
The subject matter isn't funny at all. It's the opposite of funny, actually. It's the sarcastic - or verbally ironic? - way in which you said it that I found funny. People in a lot of places would probably think you were being rude - it's kind of a Pacific Northwest/a few other places thing to find sarcasm funny.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #610 on: November 29, 2014, 04:58:17 PM »

Yes! And Fen Shen can do it, also! (And yes, you should reaaaally share your story with us)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #611 on: November 29, 2014, 06:32:53 PM »
C'mon Fenshen, you can do this, go go go!

Auf geht's Fenshen, du schaffst das! Nicht mal 5000 Worte!!!

:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

« Reply #612 on: November 29, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
Totally not putting pressure on you Fen Shen! We just all expect you to win NaNo in one day!

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #613 on: November 30, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
Aww, thank you so much for your support!  :) Seems it really was agood idea to steal some writing time for a short visit to the forums.
At the moment, I've got 1482 words left to write. And 10 hours. That should be doable!  ;D
I only need some more ideas to stretch the story. So far, someone broke his angle, they all face famine and started eating grass.  ???

Stellers, congratulation! I was really happy for you when I saw your bar had turned puple.

Now, will you please excuse me, I still have a novel to finish...
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #614 on: November 30, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but really I couldn't care less... I did it!  ;D *happydance*
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat: