Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141105 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #540 on: November 20, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
Twenty-three white-tailed jack-rabbits.

Words (or phrases) that use hyphens, or these things: -

Ah, hyphens... Those are probably just about my favorite thing ever, so I was so mad when I discovered that word doesn't count them separately - but that's one on the joys of writing by hand, I guess! I can count words however I want! (It's not cheating.)

Oh, but I'm like six days behind on my word count because all my teachers decided to assign homework now. Though I suppose getting unbearable urges to read doesn't help, either. It's even more annoying when I consider the fact that I actually really like what I'm writing and I've been going to bed earlier because I've begun getting up at 4:30 in the morning. This week has been a mess but I will succeed!

Side note: a hyphen is different than a dash. A hyphen is used to combine two words that are part of the same idea. Sorta like "white tail" versus "white-tailed".

A dash separates a clause that provides extra information from the rest of the sentence. Like: People don't usually believe my brother - which is a good idea - because he acts a bit crazy. You can remove the "which is a good idea" and still understand the sentence just fine.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #541 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
Ah, hyphens... Those are probably just about my favorite thing ever, so I was so mad when I discovered that word doesn't count them separately - but that's one on the joys of writing by hand, I guess! I can count words however I want! (It's not cheating.)

Oh, but I'm like six days behind on my word count because all my teachers decided to assign homework now. Though I suppose getting unbearable urges to read doesn't help, either. It's even more annoying when I consider the fact that I actually really like what I'm writing and I've been going to bed earlier because I've begun getting up at 4:30 in the morning. This week has been a mess but I will succeed!

Heh, same here. I really want to write, but then I also really have to write assignments, too. But...you'll succeed!

I also use em-dashes too much in my writing.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #542 on: November 21, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »
I also use em-dashes too much in my writing.
For clarification (or at least providing enough pointy straight lines to get all the forumites impaled):
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/2116/when-should-i-use-an-em-dash-an-en-dash-and-a-hyphen
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #543 on: November 21, 2014, 12:55:17 AM »
For clarification (or at least providing enough pointy straight lines to get all the forumites impaled):
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/2116/when-should-i-use-an-em-dash-an-en-dash-and-a-hyphen

Huh. I didn't know there were different kinds of dashes - how interesting! (Really, though, when I'm not editing I tend to use em-dashes about every other sentence.)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #544 on: November 22, 2014, 11:22:02 AM »
So apparently I need almost 3000 words a day to finish on time. Welp. I'll just ignore the guests come Thanksgiving.

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #545 on: November 22, 2014, 12:04:50 PM »
So apparently I need almost 3000 words a day to finish on time. Welp. I'll just ignore the guests come Thanksgiving.

That's my plan, too!

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #546 on: November 22, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
That's my plan, too!

I need about 2000 words a day to finish on time, but fortunately it's weekend, so I hope to get that number down to 1700 by Monday...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #547 on: November 22, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
Heh, at the moment I'm leading in the word count race!  ;D (Well I guess you others haven't updated yours yet, but still I'm happy.)
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #548 on: November 22, 2014, 03:08:50 PM »
If work provides as much trouble as it does at the moment, I'm sure I won't finnish in November. I might finish afterwards but right now I am happy to have the spare time just for procrastination. Maybe I will switch to German and translate afterwards...
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

« Reply #549 on: November 22, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Heh, at the moment I'm leading in the word count race!  ;D (Well I guess you others haven't updated yours yet, but still I'm happy.)

UNACCEPTABLE!! TRULY UNACCEPTABLE! I SHALL WRITE MORE!

EDIT: Yay, I'm again leading the wordcount (at least until Fen Shen updates hers, that is)! Seriously, though, Fen Shen, I'm really happy you were able to catch up this much!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:49:46 PM by Nimphy »

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #550 on: November 22, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
I finally reached the halfway point--two thirds of the way through the month. I CAN WRITE MORE (I don't need sleep, right?)

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #551 on: November 23, 2014, 05:00:05 AM »
WE ALL CAN WRITE MORE.  8) Now that NaNoWriMo is approaching the end, I find it much easier to sit down and try hard than a week before. Someone up for a sprint at :30?
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:

Nimphy

« Reply #552 on: November 23, 2014, 05:14:04 AM »
WE ALL CAN WRITE MORE.  8) Now that NaNoWriMo is approaching the end, I find it much easier to sit down and try hard than a week before. Someone up for a sprint at :30?

Oh, I can't! I want to, but have to catch up on homework, and quickly, because my scout group has some voluntary work scheduled for us, a fundraising for Telefono Azzurro. Can we do some in the evening/late afternoon?

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #553 on: November 23, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »
Sure. Maybe I should also try to get some other work done before losing myself in writing ;)

Nimphy

« Reply #554 on: November 23, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
Fundraising is over, studying is over, anyone up for a word sprint?