Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 141098 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: NaNoWriMo
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »
Do not remind me how sadly I am lagging behind. :'( *is still at 0 words for today*

Story-wise, I have a conversation to finish and then I need to figure out where to go next...which is proving hard to do. I should probably also sort my scenes into chronological order.

I've actually been waiting for a day when all I would do is write, but for some reason all my Saturdays have suddenly become inordinately busy. OH WELL get to writing, me.

Update: Okay, apparently I can't even finish the conversation, because it involves coming up with a clever plan and I can't come up with one. I guess I'll just jump straight into some action, because people have mostly been standing around snarking, and figure out what they figured out later.

If I may voice my humble opinion, a foolsih plan is often the most interesting to read. Clever plans that have a chance of succeding are not - even if they do not succeed. A stupid plan is always more interesting, so go for improvisation and ridiculousness! A seemingly foolish plan that ultimately works, either because of dumb luck or because there was something so ingeniously clever (surprise or not) that no one would have ever expected it.

Also, I started adding to a seemingly unimportant scene as a direct result of being faced with a wall of no-inspiration-or-will-to-work, and I believe I finally found a plot thanks to that scene. A plot with a climax and all, even. That goes like a mountain. I almost cannot believe it.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »
Yesterday went great, I had almost two hours of pure writing time at last. Today I've not written a word yet, but I hope I will do so now. If I don't fall aslepp on the sofa, that is...
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Nimphy

« Reply #512 on: November 15, 2014, 06:14:16 PM »
Today as a great day. I was sure I wouldn't get any writing done, but somehow I managed to outline a semblance of a plot, write 2000 words, estabilish quite a few relationships between characters, and make my MC cry, which I didn't think would be possible at all. Wow. The miracles the human mind can do at 11:30pm, when it has an obsession for nice, round numbers and just half an hour to write as much as it can...

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #513 on: November 15, 2014, 09:30:57 PM »
If I may voice my humble opinion, a foolsih plan is often the most interesting to read. Clever plans that have a chance of succeding are not - even if they do not succeed. A stupid plan is always more interesting, so go for improvisation and ridiculousness! A seemingly foolish plan that ultimately works, either because of dumb luck or because there was something so ingeniously clever (surprise or not) that no one would have ever expected it.

Thanks for the advice! Interestingly enough, whatever plan is made will pretty much be a foolish one, given the almost impossible-ness of the situation. Clever probably wasn't the best way to put it; the problem was more like coming up with a plan that would suit the MC's frame of thought/ personality.

But I still didn't get any writing done. Tomorrow I am going to try to write a couple thousand words once I get back home (5000? *is naively hopeful*). And yes, I am resorting to publicly announcing my goals in an effort to actually get them done.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #514 on: November 17, 2014, 03:48:54 PM »
I hate to admit it, but in the last days writing has become incredibly hard for me. I tried so hard to catch up with the desired word count, but it's not so much fun anymore. And it's getting harder each day to neglect other activities like reading. How are you doing?
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2014, 03:59:16 PM »
I hate to admit it, but in the last days writing has become incredibly hard for me. I tried so hard to catch up with the desired word count, but it's not so much fun anymore. And it's getting harder each day to neglect other activities like reading. How are you doing?

Sort of in a similar situation (except farther behind). I feel like I need to take a break (partly because of tiredness and partly because of a multitude of other things needing to be done), but then I'm already so far behind. Yesterday I tried a completely new POV, which actually helped a lot, so I'll see what I can do today.

Nimphy

« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2014, 04:01:38 PM »

Behind my spdesired word count, to, but still having fun, sort of. Anyone wants to do a quick word sprint before I go to sleep?

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #517 on: November 17, 2014, 04:06:45 PM »
Behind my spdesired word count, to, but still having fun, sort of. Anyone wants to do a quick word sprint before I go to sleep?

Uh, sure, why not. *shoves essays away into corner*
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:08:35 PM by mithrysc »

Nimphy

« Reply #518 on: November 17, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »
Uh, sure, why not. *shoves essays away into corner*

:10? Or do you prefer :15?

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
:10? Or do you prefer :15?

:10's fine.

EDIT: 331 words. I wrote my characters a rest, which was strangely satisfying.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:30:56 PM by mithrysc »

Nimphy

« Reply #520 on: November 17, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
:10's fine.

Grrr, can't count because I can't count, but today was both a horrible writing day and a good writing day. Mostly horrible. I'm now a full two days behind my schedule. But I also reached 25.000!

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #521 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:44 AM »
Well, I didn't actually write a lot yesterday. I did spend the time to put my written scenes in order and to figure out what else needs to happen, which was actually immensely helpful and also means I have an idea of what I'm supposed to be writing. Which is good, because I need to almost double my wordcount...

Nimphy

« Reply #522 on: November 18, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
Yesterday I introduced my Italian teacher to the concept of NaNoWriMo and the YWP. She looked very enthusiastic about it. Today she asked me to also talk about it to the class, and to my surprise they were also interested. Some apparently had already been writing short stories for fun. A girl also dreams of writing a novel, and I had to promise her I would tell her when Camp NaNo begins, or she wouldn't shut up. Then, when I told them I was also doing NaNo, everyone wanted to read my book. I was both happy and incredibly embarrassed, and tried to tell them that I was writing in English to back down, but they just decided they'd run the text through Google Translate. I think I even blushed a little. Just the tiniest little bit, I don't blush! But yeah. Really happy right now, and next year I'm probably going to force all of the class to also do YWP - who knoowwss, maybe it will even become a thing in our school! Meanwhile, the Italian teacher already has some plans on the class writing an ebook, one that will get contributes by every one of us. Hehehe...
Oh, I'm also behind with my word count. Third Week. Ugh. Now I get all that stuff about The Wall, The Swamp of Despair, etc.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #523 on: November 18, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
Nice. I gathered really weird looks. Everyone seemed suprised about where I was able to find time for writing. At the moment I don't have any time at all. Maybe I will start catching up on Thursday.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #524 on: November 18, 2014, 05:15:09 PM »
Yesterday I introduced my Italian teacher to the concept of NaNoWriMo and the YWP. She looked very enthusiastic about it. Today she asked me to also talk about it to the class, and to my surprise they were also interested. Some apparently had already been writing short stories for fun. A girl also dreams of writing a novel, and I had to promise her I would tell her when Camp NaNo begins, or she wouldn't shut up. Then, when I told them I was also doing NaNo, everyone wanted to read my book. I was both happy and incredibly embarrassed, and tried to tell them that I was writing in English to back down, but they just decided they'd run the text through Google Translate. I think I even blushed a little. Just the tiniest little bit, I don't blush! But yeah. Really happy right now, and next year I'm probably going to force all of the class to also do YWP - who knoowwss, maybe it will even become a thing in our school! Meanwhile, the Italian teacher already has some plans on the class writing an ebook, one that will get contributes by every one of us. Hehehe...
Oh, I'm also behind with my word count. Third Week. Ugh. Now I get all that stuff about The Wall, The Swamp of Despair, etc.

Yay! (for the first part that is). I haven't actually told anybody with the exception of you lovely internet strangers, sooo...

And I completely agree with you about the second part. :'(