Author Topic: ESL/TESOL Discussion  (Read 1694 times)

ginger

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
ESL/TESOL Discussion
« on: May 03, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »
So, I might be the only one interested in having this discussion (which is okay), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a topic here to see if anybody else is in my boat! But, considering the lingual bunch we have here, I think that there are probably some friends here who are interested in ESL (English as a Second Language) or TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)

I am a student, and I'm fascinated by language. I've been speaking English for my entire life (in the United States) and studying it for all of my education, of course, and am nearing the end of my third year of French study. I am very interested in teaching language (specifically, those two as I'm the most committed to them at the moment), and would be interested in getting my TESOL certification to be able to teach internationally in future.

I have been a helper at a local community ESL program for adults in my area, but we are about to break for the summer and I have been thinking about how much I will miss the students until September (some of whom will be returning to their home countries over the summer).

So, while I'll have an ESL-shaped void over the summer, I thought it would be fun to have a discussion here to share quotes from students (because honestly, they're the most precious human beings), tips or applications for jobs overseas, fun stories, and just have some camaraderie amongst those interested in teaching this absurd language.

All friends/teachers/enthusiasts are, of course, welcome!
:usa: :france:
Avatar courtesy of the impeccable mith!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
Re: ESL/TESOL Discussion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
Hey yeah that's actually what I'm going to Korea for is EFL !! I took some TESOL classes but I've actually never worked in it before so if you have some tips that would be neat. I'll be sure to post about fun and interesting experiences in the classroom in here while I'm over there !

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 12:53:44 AM »
Hey yeah that's actually what I'm going to Korea for is EFL !! I took some TESOL classes but I've actually never worked in it before so if you have some tips that would be neat. I'll be sure to post about fun and interesting experiences in the classroom in here while I'm over there !

Oh heck; I'm posting here to remind myself to write in more detail when it isn't almost 1 in the morning.

My best tip: humility. Will explore in more detail later. <3

ginger

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 11:07:37 PM »
Okay okay, here I am with more thoughts about ESL/TESOL/English! :D I guess that I want to share why the first thing that came to my mind is humility.

In the past year, I have had the most international exposure in my life to date. I've started volunteering with a local ESL program for adults (even once teaching my own two-ish hour class, which was something else O_O) and I've joined this fandom, the most visibly international one of which I've ever been a part. And something has occurred to me throughout both of these experiences: having English as my first language is a massive privilege.

Not to say that English is inherently better than any other language--that is the furthest from my intentions in writing this. But, when one of the most widely used and influential languages in international discourse, media, entertainment and online communities is your native language, there are some benefits inherent in that.

The language in which I am most comfortable expressing myself, in consuming entertainment, in relating to others and understanding their thoughts also happens to be a pretty influential language. But not everyone has that.

And being a native speaker isn't everything.

In this fandom, I have encountered some of the most truly eloquent people in my life; you all have shown me incredibly beautiful things about the world in which we live; you have described things in ways which speak to my heart so deeply, it seems that you've peered into my very brain; you've painted pictures with words more beautiful than I could ever hope to attempt myself; and so, so many of you do not speak English as a first language.

And so, in speaking about language, I am massively humbled. English is my first language--for me, second language acquisition is not a necessity. I could float through my life comfortably and never learn another language because I live in a society which has afforded me this. I would be ill-advised to do so, and I would miss out on a lot that this world has to offer by being a monolingual Anglophone, but I could most definitely do it. And many people do not live their lives in this way.

So many of you have shared your thoughts with me and explained linguistics to me (thanks ryagami and Hrollo) and had patience with my French--whether you've meant to or not, you have taught me how little I really know. And understanding the difficulty inherent in learning just one other language (let alone how many of you are avid polyglots) has taught me so much how I have to remember my place in the language-learning community.

In helping a group of people (I'm not sure which age group you'll be with, Juniper, but I've only worked with adults in ESL) to learn a new framework for expressing themselves while using that very framework, it is important to remember that English is just another way to share ideas. It isn't necessarily the best (I don't really think that there is a best language, just different languages) and it isn't necessarily the easiest (English makes no sense sometimes), but it is just another means of communication.

One thing that helps me a lot in ESL (and in the humility which I feel has to come along with it [man, I'll really be eating my words if you've already realized and put into practice all of this rambly nonsense that I'm writing right now]) is to imagine those with whom I speak complexly. This scene has helped me immensely:

I think that it speaks to the English-speaking corner of the internet in which I live that when I tried to find this scene on YouTube, all that I could find were compilations of the character Gloria's best pronunciation mistakes.

Juniper, you might not have come into ESL with any of the same expectations or beliefs that I did (and you're already certified if you're going to be teaching in Korea, so you're definitely a few steps ahead of me on this journey). But humility, in any language-learning or language-teaching experience, seems to be a good way to go. Much love to you on your continued journey in the world of teaching English!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
Oh gosh sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, but this is such a good and important point. It's too easy for some people to undermine someone's intelligence when they're speaking in what's not their first language and forget how smart they might be in their native tongue, and definitely something very important to keep in mind when teaching a second language.

I'm going to be working with children, around age 8 or 9, which is to me the best age group to work with. They're old enough that they can feed themselves and go to the bathroom without any help and there's minimal chance that they'll pee their pants or something along those lines that I would not know how to handle, but they're young enough that they're still kinda innocent and adorable and what not.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:36:41 PM »
Okay, so I don't know if this is a silly question, but how do you get certified to teach English in another country? Because I was looking into it and I know a lot of places require a certificate, but I couldn't actually find out how to get certified?
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 11:26:08 PM »
Okay, so I don't know if this is a silly question, but how do you get certified to teach English in another country? Because I was looking into it and I know a lot of places require a certificate, but I couldn't actually find out how to get certified?

You can complete a TEFL course online or at an intensive residential type course. I won't go into residential courses, because it will largely depend on what's available in your area and I don't know what you have there. If online is easier for you, most places will accept it (check with the places beforehand of course, but my placement was fine with it), although the longer intensive programs will get you considerably more prepared for the actual classroom teaching part. Here's links to some online TEFL places after a quick google search.

https://www.teflcourse.net

http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl-courses/

http://www.teflonline.com

http://www.tefl.org.uk/courses/online-only-tefl-courses/ (this was the one I did)

Do some research for each to see what they provide and whether it will be enough for the jobs you're interested in, but altogether,  getting the TEFL certificate is not terribly difficult ^_^

Everyone's TEFL experiences are different, but if you're feeling confused by the process I might be able to help a little having been though it myself :)
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 09:35:11 PM »
You can complete a TEFL course online or at an intensive residential type course. I won't go into residential courses, because it will largely depend on what's available in your area and I don't know what you have there. If online is easier for you, most places will accept it (check with the places beforehand of course, but my placement was fine with it), although the longer intensive programs will get you considerably more prepared for the actual classroom teaching part. Here's links to some online TEFL places after a quick google search.

https://www.teflcourse.net

http://www.i-to-i.com/tefl-courses/

http://www.teflonline.com

http://www.tefl.org.uk/courses/online-only-tefl-courses/ (this was the one I did)

Do some research for each to see what they provide and whether it will be enough for the jobs you're interested in, but altogether,  getting the TEFL certificate is not terribly difficult ^_^

Everyone's TEFL experiences are different, but if you're feeling confused by the process I might be able to help a little having been though it myself :)
Eee, thank you so much! I'll have to look through all of these later when I have more time.

It's nice to know that I actually have people I can ask about this stuff because the closest I have IRL is my mother who spent a year in China teaching English in the '80s and wasn't the biggest fan of the actual "teaching" part because she was still a college student and didn't really know what she was doing. And I'm starting to ramble, so I guess I'll just leave off there. XD

Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 08:24:52 PM »
I guess related to this, does anyone here have any experience working with the JET Program in Japan? I was looking into it briefly and was somewhat curious about it.