Author Topic: The Gardening Thread  (Read 33826 times)

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: The Gardening Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:05 AM »
Does anyone here know about cacti? I have a little indoor cactus, and I started noticing some some white spots on it last week, and then I check on it today and it's shrunk at least 1/3 of its size. (I don't know if those are related, but maybe it's overwatering?) I'm really worried because I've had it for a year and a half and this has never happened before and I don't want to be a terrible neglectful plant mother and just watch it wither away (>﹏<)

I also just lost a plant last month and my cactus is very dear to me :'(

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2016, 01:17:59 AM »
Sorry, Piney I manage to kill about any cacti I touch :( So no advice form me.

Thank you, Róisín, for all the ideas! I'll ask my father to look out for them. Rugosas are very common here, but I believe they are also classified as invasive species in Germany (especially in the North) and in Denmark too. So maybe better one of the others. I think there are so many of them because their rose hips are commonly used for "Hiffenmark" - a kind of jam that is especially found in "Krapfen".

And thank you also for the tips, Noodly! I'll relay them!
Might take a while until I can talk to my father, though. He's usually still at work when I can call home.

Edit: Haha! Managed to get him :) What he is trying to grow is "Judasohr", which is probably Woodear.... Auricularia auricula-judae?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 04:39:53 AM by Asterales »
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2016, 07:29:36 AM »
Piney: what sort of cactus is it? And did you take a close look at those white spots? Reason I ask is that some cacti and succulents can be attacked by sap-sucking insects, which can cause leaves or pads to collapse. We sometimes get tiny leafhoppers or a thing that looks like a mealybug, or even something like a lerp (we had those on the Mesembryanthemum in the Community Garden this year, and a lot of the leaves were sucked dry and just collapsed in on themselves and withered. If the spots look furry, or like a little patch of foam or bubbles, or waxy and like a very micro turtle shell, take a small probe, say the tip of a pencil or a nailfile, and scrape or lift the surface layer. If there is a tiny bug on the surface, squish it.

The other likely cause is a fungus, from overwatering. This will usually show as a soggy or furry-looking patch, and there is not really a cure other than cutting off and disposing of the infected leaf or pad, and letting the plant recover in a warm, dry, sunny place.

Noodly: I've never tried coffee grounds! Sounds interesting. In this part of the world the usual mix for growing terrestrial fungi (like your ordinary supermarket mushrooms) is a box of aged cowdung or horse manure mixed with compost, sphagnum moss and straw, to which you add the mushroom spawn, then water well and leave in a warm, dim place for a few weeks, keeping the soil warm and molst. I'm trying to grow pine mushrooms on a mix of forest soil and rotting pine needles, to which I have added over-mature pine mushrooms from last years' foraging trips. Might take a few years to do anything. But foraging season starts again in the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to getting out in the forest with students again!

Asterales: Auricularia auricula-judae, A. polytricha and several other Auricularia species are grown on wood, like oyster mushrooms. You can grow them in a box or bag, on a mix of damp straw and hardwood sawdust, or on a piece of wood. A young friend down in the city grows them by inserting plugs of wood containing spawn into holes drilled in suitable branches (but he has a very live garden where just about anything will grow; this is the guy who had a swarm of bees colonise his outdoor dunny, left them there, and now he and his wife just work around them).

If you want to see what cloud fungus or woodears (Auricularia species) look like, check out most of the scenes in SSSS where there are dead or dying trees or wet indoor wooden beams - they are those ear-shaped or semicircular, hard jelly textured fungi which are growing everywhere on wood. They are a popular food and medicine in the Orient, somewhat known in Europe, not that popular in America, possibly because of the rubbery texture. You can also find pictures in any of Christopher Hobbs's books on edible and medicinal fungi.

I learned to prepare them by cutting them at the base, thoroughly cleaning them, then slicing finely and drying. They can be stored dry and reconstituted in hot water.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Asterales

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »
Asterales: Auricularia auricula-judae, A. polytricha and several other Auricularia species are grown on wood, like oyster mushrooms. You can grow them in a box or bag, on a mix of damp straw and hardwood sawdust, or on a piece of wood. A young friend down in the city grows them by inserting plugs of wood containing spawn into holes drilled in suitable branches (but he has a very live garden where just about anything will grow; this is the guy who had a swarm of bees colonise his outdoor dunny, left them there, and now he and his wife just work around them).

If you want to see what cloud fungus or woodears (Auricularia species) look like, check out most of the scenes in SSSS where there are dead or dying trees or wet indoor wooden beams - they are those ear-shaped or semicircular, hard jelly textured fungi which are growing everywhere on wood. They are a popular food and medicine in the Orient, somewhat known in Europe, not that popular in America, possibly because of the rubbery texture. You can also find pictures in any of Christopher Hobbs's books on edible and medicinal fungi.

I learned to prepare them by cutting them at the base, thoroughly cleaning them, then slicing finely and drying. They can be stored dry and reconstituted in hot water.
I have seen it in real life :D My father found a patch close to the village pool last year, and had it confirmed by an expert, too. Mostly we eat Parasol, because there are loads of them around the horse paddocks. They are very good in tomato soup. We use them instead of minced meat, for which we also dry them. Chanterelles and cauliflower mushroom are also very tasty and okay-ish to find in the region. The champignons seem to have vanished in recent years, though. Either we are always too late or it has something to do with our farmers going overboard with manure! (The meadows seem to consist of mainly dandelion and buttercup :-\)
The straw and sawdust are definitely worth a try. Hmm. We should still have some hardwood sawdust from last winter's firewood making. Do you think wood chips might also work? And how long would one need to wait until being able to tell if the experiment succeeded? As you said, it can be a few years, right?
I think what my father tries at the moment is growing them on a birch branch...
Native :germany:
Pretty alright :uk:
Not used for longer than learned :spain: :france:
Getting better :japan:
Rather awful :china:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:17 AM »
If we're talking about mushrooms I want to share two random stories, although I don't grow them (and never have). Sorry to drag this thread a little OT-ish but here we go:

I once found a stolen bike because the thief had tried to hide it right next to my chanterelle spot. Quite a fancy bike too, the owner was really happy to have it back! Still, it was nerve-wrecking to try to explain how I found the bike and where without letting out the secret of my chanterelle spot (no really, when you know where they grow each year you don't tell anyone)(my grandma knew a great one and she told my mum its whereabouts on her deathbed).

Another time we were camping and in the morning when I woke up I realized that the place we had our tent had suddenly sprouted kehnäsieni (Cortinarius caperatus) everywhere. We had a somewhat unusual but really tasty breakfast that day. :D

About cacti: sometimes when they look as if they're dry it's actually because they're overwatered. The roots rot away and the cacti shrivels up and eventually dies, but because it looks like it's lacking water people often water them to death at this point. :/ You could try carefully digging the "patient" out and check how the roots are doing.
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
We get woodears in the forest here. In a few weeks I shall be out there showing people what to do with them. Laufey, you're so lucky to have chanterelles! I don't tell of my best spots for pine mushrooms either!

And yes, a cactus can die of overwatering, because the roots rot off and it can't take up anything from the soil. All you can do if that happens is to clean up the base and repot it into free-draining soil, and hope it grows new roots.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
Thanks Roisin, Laufey... it looks like this:

Spoiler: show

(edit: I couldn't get a good picture of the white spots)

It's not the type I can cut anything off of. I've never handled or repotted it, or any other plant. Do you think my cactus could survive another two weeks until I can get it home? There's not really anything I can do, right? :-\
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:01:37 AM by Piney »

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Róisín

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 10:17:31 AM »
Piney: does the cactus usually have that much fuzz under the spines? Is that a bit of the 'white spots' atop the soil in the pot, or something else? Have you considered that it might be woolly aphids?

Suggestions: lay out a clean cloth, or a big sheet of paper or cardboard. Use kitchen tongs or similar to try lifting the cactus. If it comes up easily the problem is the roots.

Lay it on the cloth or paper. Inspect the base. Is it rotting? Dead? Eaten away?

Inspect the surface, and try moving some of the white spots with tweezers, a knife tip, or anything else that keeps your fingers safely away from the spikes. If what you find is a tiny bug, with a mass of fluff or foamy stuff around it, squish it. Repeat as needed.

If the base is decayed or eaten, or the roots are gone, cut away the damaged bits with a sharp knife, lay the cactus on its side and let the cut surface dry out. Once back in the soil it will reroot from the healed surface.

Once it is dry, repot in a clean pot into fresh Cactus and Succulent potting mix. Good luck!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »
Yes, it's always had the white fuzz, that's just what it looks like. There aren't any spots in the soil, it might just be the lighting in that photo.
Maybe I should've said "patches" instead; there were only a couple, maybe fingernail sized. It's hard to tell under the spikes, and it's shrunk since I noticed them so they're harder to see now.
I just looked at a picture of the cactus from when I got it, and I realize it has actually shrunk a lot over a year and a half. (I also read that they might naturally shrink up during the winter because there's less light, and I already hardly get any light in my room. But that's probably not the problem here.)

(The reason I asked if it would survive another two weeks was because my dad has plants and would be able to help me uproot it/repot it.)

Róisín

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »
It should survive if you keep it warm and dry, and try to get it a little sunlight.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »
Maybe I worry too much. Thanks for the help, Róisín! ^^

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:37 PM »
Buteo: you will get better results from your spuds if you plant them early, and at least six inches/ around 15cm deep. The reason for this is that new tubers form above the seed tuber, and if these new tubers are exposed to sunlight they will go green, due to the formation of solanine which binds to the chlorophyll in most Solanaceae, and renders their green parts poisonous. These are still perfectly good for next year's seed, just don't eat them. As the haulm (the green part) grows, keep piling up mulch around it so only the top few inches stick up out of the mulch, and more tubers will form along the stem. Keep the soil moist but not wet. If it's too soggy you will get fungal and bacterial rots.

Feed potatoes with compost and seaweed extract, which will help to prevent many diseases. My Gran used to grow them in a bed piled high with a mix of straw and seaweed, just a bit of soil at the bottom, and she got beautiful clean potatoes.

If you need to grow them in pots, bigger pots are better. Put a few inches of soil at the base, lay the spuds on it, cover with compost, straw and seaweed mixed together. Water them in well and don't water again for a few days. Do you have Gro-bags in America? Basically big garbage-bag sized bags, hessian or heavy plastic with ventilation holes, same mix you use in pots. Or old styrofoam boxes, like the kind used to ship broccoli. All these, like pots, can be put on a sunny porch to give you a few weeks of early start on the growing season. Except in exceptionally hot weather, potatoes like full sun.

Róisín, thank you! This reinforces what I've learned before, and adds useful details.

Yes, pots are a necessity - I have no open soil, just a paved patio. I've been collecting big pots, as large as I can get and still  move them with no help but a hand truck.
I don't have access to straw currently, but compost is relatively inexpensive (if I can get to some sources within the right time frame it's free), and fish emulsion with kelp is sold at my friendly neighborhood nurseries.
I can get Gro-bags - next year I plan to try some, this year I'm mostly having to improvise with whatever comes my way.

An ongoing problem for me, not just with potatoes - how can I tell how moist the soil is, under a surface that may seem quite dry? If digging a finger into the soil as deep as I need to is the answer, then that's what I'll do; but I worry about disturbing roots on newly-started plants before they're stout enough to survive prodding and poking.

Róisín

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 06:22:42 PM »
Soil moisture: if you go the high-tech route you can buy a probe - a sort of thick-knitting-needle shaped gadget with sensors that you poke into the soil, but generally your senses will tell you. If it smells swampy it's probably too wet, if the soil feels dry and the leaves are just beginning to droop it needs water.

Also, a sprinkle of rock dust strengthens the plant and helps it tolerate water variation. Most plants need less water in cold weather, because they don't transpire so much.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 02:55:14 AM »

Noodly: I've never tried coffee grounds! Sounds interesting. In this part of the world the usual mix for growing terrestrial fungi (like your ordinary supermarket mushrooms) is a box of aged cowdung or horse manure mixed with compost, sphagnum moss and straw, to which you add the mushroom spawn, then water well and leave in a warm, dim place for a few weeks, keeping the soil warm and molst. I'm trying to grow pine mushrooms on a mix of forest soil and rotting pine needles, to which I have added over-mature pine mushrooms from last years' foraging trips. Might take a few years to do anything. But foraging season starts again in the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to getting out in the forest with students again!

One advantage of coffee grounds is that Starbucks gives them away -- at least in parts of the U.S.  They're considered good for the "brown" component of compost, but I hadn't thought of them as mushroom medium. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 09:09:09 AM »
So has anyone here grown lilies from bulb cuttings? We did a demonstration in biology about how plants can grow from even small sections of tissue, and now I have about 20 tiny tiny (smaller than my fingernail) lily bulbs in the refrigerator. We have instructions on how to get them to grow, but I'd greatly appreciate advice if anyone has some.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!