Author Topic: Where my Latin buds at?  (Read 2384 times)

Jimothy

• Super-Newbie
Where my Latin buds at?
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Salve, amicii! Cognovo pauci Lingua Latina, sed puto habeatis thread.

If you don't understand that, it's probably either because I don't know Latin or you don't know Latin.

Anyway, let's have some fun with the deadestbest Indo-European language. My skills are a little rusty but I've been thinking of trying to translate some stuff.
I'm the real shiggy, I'm the real shiggy-diggy

:usa: native
:germany: could probably speak pidgin if I had to, thinking of learning

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Where my Latin buds at?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »
Salve!

I don't know much Latin, but I could definitely hang out here would it count as studying? Maybe not :\

Actually, not an hour ago I was trying to figure out how "Stand still. Stay silent." would translate. I got "Constā. Tace." but I don't really know what I'm doing, so that very well could be wrong (someone please correct me if it is). But it was fun to try!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Jimothy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »
Salve!

I don't know much Latin, but I could definitely hang out here would it count as studying? Maybe not :\

Actually, not an hour ago I was trying to figure out how "Stand still. Stay silent." would translate. I got "Constā. Tace." but I don't really know what I'm doing, so that very well could be wrong (someone please correct me if it is). But it was fun to try!
Kind of gruff, IIRC tace is more like "shut up".

Unfortunately I don't have a textbook anymore so I couldn't tell you a better translation. I would translate it literally.

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:28:14 PM »
Kind of gruff, IIRC tace is more like "shut up".

Unfortunately I don't have a textbook anymore so I couldn't tell you a better translation. I would translate it literally.

Well, maybe telling people to shut up would be appropriate when trying to avoid trolls :P I know what you mean though.

My textbook doesn't seem to have anything else that's useful (the dictionary in the back isn't even close to comprehensive). Does anyone else have a better Latin dictionary?
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Jimothy

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 07:57:10 PM »
Well, maybe telling people to shut up would be appropriate when trying to avoid trolls :P I know what you mean though.

My textbook doesn't seem to have anything else that's useful (the dictionary in the back isn't even close to comprehensive). Does anyone else have a better Latin dictionary?
are you using Cambridge Latin?

Smirty

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »
Interesting. I took Latin in Highschool, ages ago and mostly learned nothing outside of the content of some Latin text. However our teacher took us to Rome for the last year of school trip (there were only six of us in the Latin option, it was so chill!) and brought us into a lesbian bar incidentally. She had no idea but we were all very much aware, once the server arrived: a massive woman dressed like a truck driver and looking like one. (I know, my father was a truck driver, okay?) The most bizarre and awesome school trip.

And Latin is so... Succinct. Always surprised me. Very much at the opposite of what Eddy Izzard would like to make us think but his sketch still entertains the hell out of me:

My webcomic: Angels Power | Going to Kickstarter in a couple of days, omg. 0_0'''
Native: :belgium: (Fluent: Français Fluent: English)