Author Topic: Personal Luonto  (Read 41034 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: Personal Luonto
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2015, 08:17:50 AM »
I have to wonder if the luonto remains the same size as the animal it's based off of. Because if not, Smirty's one could very quickly go from kinda cool to utterly horrifying.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 08:28:35 AM »
I have to wonder if the luonto remains the same size as the animal it's based off of. Because if not, Smirty's one could very quickly go from kinda cool to utterly horrifying.

There's nothing that would say that it would stay the same size so yes, all depending on the natural talent and skill of the owner it can probably be almost any size at all. :D

This reminded me of a pic that I randomly doodled on the topic after Lalli's lynx attack: three different power levels for mages, taking into account natural talent and learned skills (which tends to mean that the longer time you've had to practise the better you get at it).
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

shoop

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • sup homes
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 08:48:18 AM »
@sectoboss i think it'd be cool if size=power or like, how much energy you're putting into your luonto? Also if that's the case, smirty pls be gentle with your luonto.

Mine is definitely a whale shark. It's big, slow, and kind of useless. But it could probably intimidate a beast or two by smacking it with its tail. I'd love it if some mages have such big animals that they can't call on their luonto often because it drains them, and really powerful luontos are a bit of a double edged sword till they learn how to shrink/simplify the size some.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »
shoop's luonto suddenly makes me wonder: if your luonto's aquatic, what does it do if you're on dry land and need its help? Does it 'swim' through the air? Crawl over the land as best it can? Can you not leave the seaside if your luonto's a whale shark or an octopus, for fear of distancing yourself from it?

@sectoboss i think it'd be cool if size=power or like, how much energy you're putting into your luonto? Also if that's the case, smirty pls be gentle with your luonto.
Please Do Not Feed the Luonto :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
Martti: What a monster cat! Priceless!

That monster is Frenci
I am a poor baby ;3; SAVE ME
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »
I have to wonder if the luonto remains the same size as the animal it's based off of.
I don't think that an actual lynx would be able to peek over Lallis shoulder like his luonto does on page 396.

shoop's luonto suddenly makes me wonder: if your luonto's aquatic, what does it do if you're on dry land and need its help? Does it 'swim' through the air? Crawl over the land as best it can? Can you not leave the seaside if your luonto's a whale shark or an octopus, for fear of distancing yourself from it?
Lallis luonto does not exactly seem to be walking from one meat pod to the next, at least not before it does touch down and "Tuff! Phuuu" out of exhaustion ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

shoop

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • sup homes
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 09:15:37 AM »
@job and @sectoboss haha yeah I was thinking space whale aesthetic! They seem pretty ghost-y so I assumed that aquatic luonto float through the air. Unless they don't. Imagine some poor sucker having to roll a seal luonto like artd.

On the other hand: aquatic mages having to basically sign their lives away to the navy. That'd be a super interesting concept.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2015, 10:06:53 AM »
Smirty: that is a truly gorgeous wolf spider. A youngish male, I think? Where did you find him?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
(picture of someone holding a wolf spider)

*torn between "ooh pretty" and "ack get it away"*

I have it on good authority that I would be a bird of some kind. Probably a swallow or a swift, but maybe a little wren?

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAA WHO'S A BIG CUTIE LOOK AT THOSE LIL FUZZY LEGS
...it's probably a good thing that I don't live near many deadly spiders  ::) also I am really amused by the eye-rolling emoji having four eyes in this context
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Curry

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • [musically] IB IS KILLIN ME
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them/theirs
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:22 PM »
On the other hand: aquatic mages having to basically sign their lives away to the navy. That'd be a super interesting concept.

Ohhhh my god, that would be SO COOL :0 What an interesting idea, too. I wonder if aquatic luontos can only be useful in water or if they can kind of just float around and chill, like the lynx seems to be doing.
YEET

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2015, 04:21:26 PM »

Hmm... as cool as that would be, I don't think that would be the case. I mean, just look at the info page. There are rabbit and snake Luonto's that simply seem to be soaring through the air. They're not land-bound like real animals would be. Besides, the Luonto seem to be a part of you - a part that CAN leave your physical body, but that isn't necessarily doing so. If a fish Luonto had to remain in the water, that would probably mean that their person had to, as well, because otherwise they'd be separated for the better part of the persons life.

On the other hand, I think it would be pretty cool if your physical location determined your Luonto. Like, if you're raised by the seaside or by a lake you might have a bigger chance of attracting a fish Luonto, while animals like rats, pidgeons and sparrows, and domesticated animals might be really common for city folk.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:23:08 PM by Fauna »

Smirty

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2015, 06:01:28 PM »

Yeah... You don't want to mess with my eight-legged beast.

Martti: Sorry I'm poor too! But your cat is glorious.

Roisin: On Google.  ;) I don't own any animal. (don't own a place so, meh). But I agree, it's gorgeous and amazing. Do you own any pet spider yourself?

My webcomic: Angels Power | Going to Kickstarter in a couple of days, omg. 0_0'''
Native: :belgium: (Fluent: Français Fluent: English)

indui

• most best
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2015, 06:25:56 PM »
Ohh I've always loved the concept of having an animal represent your physical/mental state, it's why His Dark Materials was one of my favorite series :D

I always figured mine would be a pine martin, in terms of behavior and physical build
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 07:18:03 PM by indui »
Someday I'll be able to make fanart worthy of how much I love these characters C:[deviantart] [tumblr]

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:52 PM »
I've decided that mine would be a snake of some kind. Maybe a coral snake. Either that, or those big yellow Burmese pythons.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: