Author Topic: Sindarin Learning Thread  (Read 4967 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Sindarin Learning Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »
I once heard a story of someone who wrote a term paper in Tengwar. Unfortunately, the prof got a ta to transliterate it back and it wasn't a very good essay. :P

I'm amazed the prof went to the work of translating it and didn't just give the student a zero...
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:21 PM »
Ohhhh this is exciting ! I actually have a book on the various languages Tolkein invented (The Languages of Tolkein's Middle Earth, it's a short book that's more of a reference for the writing systems and vocab than an actually learning guide but I still picked up some neat stuff in it and recommend it. I'l really glad I found this thread though because it does have a few more neat resources in it :3

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 06:48:37 PM »
Ermahgerd, this is the thread I needed that I never knew I needed.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2016, 10:47:28 PM »
Actually Luth, and anyone else learning Sindarin, I'm curious to know what drew you to wanting to learn Sindarin over the other fictional languages from the Tolkein universe ? I'd actually never given Sindarin any thought weirdly enough and have only paid attention to or given any effort into learning Quenya instead of Sindarin, as do most people I've known who have tried to learn a fictional Tolkein language pick Quenya over Sindarin or any of the others, so I guess I'm just curious about what draws people to pick what language. I'd also given a bit of time into reading up on Westron which is the common tongue / lingua franca of middle earth at least during the third age when Lord of the Rings takes place.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
Actually Luth, and anyone else learning Sindarin, I'm curious to know what drew you to wanting to learn Sindarin over the other fictional languages from the Tolkein universe ? I'd actually never given Sindarin any thought weirdly enough and have only paid attention to or given any effort into learning Quenya instead of Sindarin, as do most people I've known who have tried to learn a fictional Tolkein language pick Quenya over Sindarin or any of the others, so I guess I'm just curious about what draws people to pick what language. I'd also given a bit of time into reading up on Westron which is the common tongue / lingua franca of middle earth at least during the third age when Lord of the Rings takes place.

If I recall correctly, I started becoming interested in learning elvish around when I was re-reading the Silmarilion. I most prominently remember the story/stories about Thingol, king of the Sindar in Menegroth. Menegroth was pretty cool (a city of elves built in thousands of caves, how could it not be) so I guess that just stuck with me. I'm not sure why, but I always thought the Sindar were cool. *shrug*
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race