Author Topic: Sindarin Learning Thread  (Read 4969 times)

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Sindarin Learning Thread
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »
Suilad a nathlam, mellonegen!
 (Hello and welcome, friends!)

I saw that there were a couple of other people here who were learning Sindarin, So I thought this would be a good idea! This is a place to share your progress on learning Sindarin, The language of the Grey-Elves in Middle Earth.

Here are some great learning references:

http://sindarinlessons.weebly.com - This one is most best, they have some very well made lessons on everything from pronunciation to vocabulary building to advanced grammar and sentence structure. They also have a dictionary containing all known/speculated Sindarin words along with the meanings of some names.

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/phrases.html - Some useful phrases and words, a good way to start.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Athena

Re: Sindarin Learning Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »
I found this the other day and I might try it because it has a page on writing too, I can currently only speak it.
http://your-sindarin-textbook.realelvish.net

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:12:32 AM »
I found this the other day and I might try it because it has a page on writing too, I can currently only speak it.
yo if you want help with writing I can do that, I just don't have useful vocab/grammar
Hit me up by pm, or I could post here.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Athena

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »
yo if you want help with writing I can do that, I just don't have useful vocab/grammar
Hit me up by pm, or I could post here.
ok, that would be awesome! I think it would better if you could post here. (that is sorta what this is for after all) It seems like we started learning at opposite ends of the spectrum; I was focusing more on vocab (Still don't really have grammar & sentence structure down though)  :))

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:15:37 AM »
I'll whip something up asap.
Might be a few days, but best-case I can make it fancy and double it up with art-class work.
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Athena

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 11:02:03 AM »
I'll whip something up asap.
Might be a few days, but best-case I can make it fancy and double it up with art-class work.
Great! I can make a quick thing on vocab if you want?

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 05:42:45 PM »
Mkay, it's a slideshow!
Some of it ended up kinda fuzzy; ask me if you need transcripts. Also my handwriting's really bad.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1k5At598AaWu71SP2zNH2aVlZS6K-S6HLDikp7NWrZl0/edit?usp=sharing

Athena

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »
Wow, Thank you so much! That looks awesome!  :)) I'll probably try to fit in some practice later.

Athena

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:47:12 AM »
Okay so I was practicing some Tengwar in class and a friend was looking over my shoulder and wondered what it was. I told them it was elvish and they were like "oh cool can I learn" and now I have kinda gathered a learning group of about 5 people and we are starting a linguistics club in our school all thanks to your tutorial an the butterfly effect...  ;D

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:21 AM »
Okay so I was practicing some Tengwar in class and a friend was looking over my shoulder and wondered what it was. I told them it was elvish and they were like "oh cool can I learn" and now I have kinda gathered a learning group of about 5 people and we are starting a linguistics club in our school all thanks to your tutorial an the butterfly effect...  ;D
oh gosh congratulations! I showed some tengwar practice to people in art and they were like "that's neat" and kept doing their thing :P

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »
oh gosh congratulations! I showed some tengwar practice to people in art and they were like "that's neat" and kept doing their thing :P

At one point I was making notes in my sketchbook in tengwar (but just transcribing English...) because I didn't really like other people looking at my comments. Some of my friends recognized it as elvish but that's about it.

Athena

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
At one point I was making notes in my sketchbook in tengwar (but just transcribing English...) because I didn't really like other people looking at my comments. Some of my friends recognized it as elvish but that's about it.

Thats a good idea... (except that anyone who would want to copy my notes can also read tengwar...) We were thinking about passing notes in class and then the teacher would find it and he like "what the heck does this say?"

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »

And then you and your Team of Awesome can go on to document mission-critical computer stuff in Tengwar.  For the lulz.

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20040319
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Athena

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »
And then you and your Team of Awesome can go on to document mission-critical computer stuff in Tengwar.  For the lulz.

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20040319

Thats a surprisingly relevant comic because we started when we were talking in computer club...   ::)

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »
I once heard a story of someone who wrote a term paper in Tengwar. Unfortunately, the prof got a ta to transliterate it back and it wasn't a very good essay. :P