Author Topic: Crazy isolationist cultures!  (Read 13167 times)

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
Re: Crazy isolationist cultures!
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »
I tried to imagine a bunch of infected whales, huddling under the oil platform... which they firstly need somehow to reach, through the daylight, too. IMHO, not gonna work, unless the leviathans are actually more clever than average beasts and able to at least partially co-exist with humans.

"So, that's the deal; you don't hunt us at daylight, and we don't try to wreck your metal hut at night. Agreed? No flipper... hand shaking!"

Which actually may be... interesting situation...

Emil: "What. Is. That. THING IN WATER?!!!!"
Sigrun (without much interest): "Oh, it's just our local leviathan hiding from the sun... don't panic, he is part of the family."

Restarting a thread, I know, but this is actually an interesting take. We know some trolls maintain clear enough heads to plead for help or lie down and wait for death, and we’ve met one (spoilers!) who remained almost perfectly sane despite the pain her body was going through. Perhaps there’s something similar that happens with the leviathans–a certain amount of clarity permitting interaction with humans far out at sea? Or even some sort of timekeeping, like a few trolls on the mainland, where they don’t attack if boats come by at a certain time of day but every other time is fair game for both parties?
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

naclenix

• Super-Newbie
  • I'm tired
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2022, 08:45:09 PM »
I actually wrote a fanfic on a plane two years ago about one of these. (I will not post it, since it is bad.)

Essentially, there are villages in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains, highly insular and protected by layers of walls. They have cleansers whose job it is to expand the uninfected areas so that the people can go hunting without the risk of getting the "rot", and maybe someday expand the village. The people, at least the ones in the village the fanfic focuses on, are mainly Protestant Christian, which affects their magic. I thought it would be cool to see more mages like Pastor Anne.

One twelve-year-old boy begs to take a trip with the cleansers (he likes fire) into the middle of the cleansed area. Upon reaching it, he wanders out and meets a giant. The giant says some very spooky things into his head, then charges him. He escapes by running super fast and then standing still and staying silent inside a hole, AYO, and after getting a stern talking-to, eventually gets to start his mage training.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:49:42 PM by naclenix »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2022, 06:01:34 AM »
Sounds interesting! Why not put it up for us to read?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!