Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 393938 times)

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4365 on: December 30, 2021, 06:40:37 AM »
Nah, he's just some rando, we haven't seen him before.  Plot twist: everybody in Finland outside of Keuruu actually spoke Norwegian all along, including the bears. 

Probably those ducks, too.
Yes, well... It's not too much a stretch, really. Presumably most of them take Icelandic lessons starting at the age of 10 and study other languages later, unless they have clear plans for their job that definitely doesn't require any. Lalli was already set for becoming a mage/scout (and well, he had enough communication problems in Finnish, so language studies outside of report-writing lessons were out).
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany:

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4366 on: December 30, 2021, 12:30:09 PM »
I flipped through the part of adv2 where the team's in Finland and meets actual people¹, but the best I can say is that he looks like (but cannot be) a younger version of Tapsa the cat-wrangler.

¹ Saimaa canal to Väinö's, so, pages 80-150-ish

Tapsa's little brother, who went to work in the capital for a few months right before it all went down?

tehta

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4367 on: December 30, 2021, 12:51:20 PM »
...and is an empathetic and emotionally-available person who will discover common ground with the remaining Hotakainens and help them process their grief, trauma, and many other psychological issues?
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4368 on: December 30, 2021, 01:06:39 PM »
A brief story:

Spoiler: show
"Hey, do you speak a human language?  When's the next boat ride out of this country?"

Toivo Niskanen lowered his newspaper.  Normally he would have responded to the insult to his native Finnish, but he knew who this Norwegian woman was.  The capital city (well, capital town) had buzzed for almost two weeks with the story of the outlanders who had gone into the eastern wilds in pursuit of Onni the mage, who in turn had gone into the eastern wilds in pursuit of the Kade guilty of so much horror.

Toivo had a particular interest in the story, for he had known both Onni Hotakainen and his cousin, Lalli Hotakainen, more than a decade ago when they had all lived in the village of Toivosaari.  He had survived because he was working in the capital for months before the attack began; Onni, his sister Tuuri, and Lalli, had been the only survivors who were actually in Toivosaari at the time.  By the time Toivo learned of the Hotakainens' survival, they had been taken to the military base of Keuruu and had made their new home there.

Married then, and now with two children (one blessedly immune), Toivo had lost track of the Hotakainens until the astonishing tale last winter of Lalli and Tuuri's expedition to Silent Denmark.  Now Lalli and Onni were both back in Finland where they belonged, along with this flock of outlanders, and rumor had it that they had actually destroyed the Kade, avenging all the dead of Toivosaari and surrounding villages.  Toivo's own brother, Tapsa, was one of those avenged, and the Norwegian woman, tactless though she was, had assisted in that vengeance.

Toivo turned, determined to be polite.  "Hmm, let's see ..."

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4369 on: December 30, 2021, 04:33:36 PM »
I love the story, but it's already been jossed.

I also love the post addressing system they have going there. As far as I can tell, it's 'this letter is meant for the person/people in the picture who will probably walk past kiosk X at some point.'
fluent: :pl: :us:, conversational: :fr: :de:, can spy on conversations: :de: (:ch:) :it:, knows curses: so many others

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4370 on: December 30, 2021, 05:03:58 PM »
Oh, I don't know if it's been jossed.  Unless he's actually lying about the schedule, he could still be Tapsa's brother, trying to be polite in a difficult situation.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #4371 on: December 30, 2021, 10:57:21 PM »
They may well have something like the arrangements in place in parts of the Australian outback, still in the early 1970s which was the last time I lived for any length of time in the Gemfields area of Far North Queensland, for mail, parcels and delivery of things such as meat, milk and fresh fruit. Mail in bulk for the area would be dropped off at some central point, such as the pub at Comet, or the post offices of such small towns as had them. The next traveller with room who was going in the right direction and who had spare eskies in the case of food that needed to be kept cool, would just carry what they could to where they were going. So our sapphire claim at Tomahawk Creek could count on mail that at least turned up every week or two.

I especially liked it when mail arrived with the Godsdens, an elderly retired couple whose mission in life was to convert the godless sapphire miners to their own particular brand of Christianity. They were not very successful in this, but I used to look forward to their visits because when they dropped off mail and supplies I would cook a fancy meal for everyone, after which all the adults would gather around the fire after the younger kids were in bed and enjoy a debate on religion, philosophy, travelling and music. They had no luck with us since my family and the cousin who worked with us were all pagan, and the cousin’s old bandmate who had taken a year off his touring circuit to try mining and play his fiddle in country pubs was a lapsed Catholic, but their visits were always interesting, since they were educated and intelligent people who were simply nice folk. Good times those were, and I can imagine travellers in silent Finland having similar arrangements for getting mail to remote places.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4372 on: December 31, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »
So, nobody's guessing what the letter contains? My suggestions (not all serious):
  • My favourite: some new person or persons who read about the expedition in a newspaper (that photo could be a newspaper clipping!) offering them a new job somewhere reachable from where they are. (Maybe even outside the Known World? A girl can dream.) Question is: would they accept such an offer? (Reynir definitely, Emil doesn't have a reason not too especially if the pay is good, the Hotakainens have nothing better to do, Mikkel will do whatever is sensible... Sigrun can be tempted by promise of adventure, can't she?)
  • The expedition organizers, offering them a job again, this time with some extra justification of some sort. Like extra cash. (Why did the crew other than Sigrun turn them down anyway? Mikkel had Sigrun's offer, but surely Reynir for one would love more adventure?)
  • Sigrun's parents and/or Trond, informing her that a longship is on its way to pick her up.
  • Trond in general, with a secret mission as per fanfics.
  • Reynir's parents, angry at Reynir. (Seems likely to actually happen, unlikely to be shown in the comic as it does not advance the plot.)
  • Reynir's sister, with an invitation for her wedding to Beefy Horse Guy. (Ditto.)
  • Emil's parents, who want to know him again now that he's semi-famous and possibly rich.
  • Some sort of outerwear company offering them endorsement deals.
  • A rabid fan with a marriage offer.
Also: as someone already said in the comments, we know that there are boats out of Keuruu all winter. So they're not necessarily stuck. It's unclear whether moving around Finland in late summer is easy, though.

Róisín

« Reply #4373 on: December 31, 2021, 09:03:01 AM »
All of those offers sound amusing! It may also, of course, be none of the above. I hope that whatever else it contains this includes it also has their share of the profits from the sale of books? Then if Sigrun still wanted to go to China, an interest she expressed when she saw the painting in that antique shop, she just might be able to do that.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4374 on: December 31, 2021, 11:25:30 AM »
unlikely to be shown in the comic as it does not advance the plot.)[/li][/list]

Except I don't think Minna's trying to advance the plot. She's trying to wind it up, in the sense of ending it.

A number of your suggestions would make a lot of sense if there were to be an Adventure 3; but there isn't time, in what's left of the comic, for them to play out properly as part of 2.

tehta

• Ranger
« Reply #4375 on: December 31, 2021, 12:24:28 PM »
My suggestions are more fanfic hooks than anything!
That said, while I am sure Minna doesn't plan to add more adventures, she might add some sort of 'hook' to let us know what the crew will be doing in the future and this could be the setup for that. I do think that ending the book with them deciding to stay together as a team would feel somewhat satisfying.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4376 on: December 31, 2021, 02:42:05 PM »
A letter from the Generals Eide informing Captain Eide that, as she failed to turn up for hunting season, the entire Dalsnes branch of the Norwegian Army is on its way to collect her.

Róisín

« Reply #4377 on: December 31, 2021, 09:02:21 PM »
Now that is an intriguing possibility!

catbirds

« Reply #4378 on: January 01, 2022, 01:55:39 AM »
I agree that he looks familiar! I even went back to see if maybe he was the gardener from Lalli's 'old home place', since that was another surprise Norwegian speaker, but no.

I might reread the start of the adventure tomorrow to see if I can spot his double there.

We could always settle down and agree that SSSS now uses pokemon centre logic

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4379 on: January 01, 2022, 09:04:27 PM »
So, nobody's guessing what the letter contains? My suggestions (not all serious):
  • My favourite: some new person or persons who read about the expedition in a newspaper (that photo could be a newspaper clipping!) offering them a new job somewhere reachable from where they are. (Maybe even outside the Known World? A girl can dream.) Question is: would they accept such an offer? (Reynir definitely, Emil doesn't have a reason not too especially if the pay is good, the Hotakainens have nothing better to do, Mikkel will do whatever is sensible... Sigrun can be tempted by promise of adventure, can't she?)
  • The expedition organizers, offering them a job again, this time with some extra justification of some sort. Like extra cash. (Why did the crew other than Sigrun turn them down anyway? Mikkel had Sigrun's offer, but surely Reynir for one would love more adventure?)
  • Sigrun's parents and/or Trond, informing her that a longship is on its way to pick her up.
  • Trond in general, with a secret mission as per fanfics.
  • Reynir's parents, angry at Reynir. (Seems likely to actually happen, unlikely to be shown in the comic as it does not advance the plot.)
  • Reynir's sister, with an invitation for her wedding to Beefy Horse Guy. (Ditto.)
  • Emil's parents, who want to know him again now that he's semi-famous and possibly rich.
  • Some sort of outerwear company offering them endorsement deals.
  • A rabid fan with a marriage offer.
Also: as someone already said in the comments, we know that there are boats out of Keuruu all winter. So they're not necessarily stuck. It's unclear whether moving around Finland in late summer is easy, though.
So... a new person -- maybe a descendant of a vague prologue character? Or-- well, it could be whoever had that photo-collection of the prologue! Someone making a historical study or something. A second job? Why not -- some other books to loot? Eh, Sigrun's parents/Trond sending her a ship that would somehow make it from Baltic to Saimaa?
Reynir's family: a likely issue - may include notes from both of the angry parents and the marrying sister. Emil's parents? Eh, I think they died in that fire. The company and the rabid fan sound funny...
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany: