Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 393871 times)

LetsEatBees

• Preferred pronouns: She/Her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #4095 on: July 09, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
You know, of all the things I was guessing that would be in that bubble, bird skeleton never crossed my mind. o_O
Now I have to know where this is going, things could either get really weird(in a good way?) or really dumb.

P.S. Literally burst out laughing when I saw the typo! Even funnier is Minna gives no indication that it ever happened! :)) Lol
Native: English
We're Looking Into The Future, Chuck
"Flammable undiagrammable sentiments Pass between animal beings"

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #4096 on: July 09, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »
Grey, the bubble started (appeared to start) to glow blue when Tuuri called for grandma. So I’m sure she is pecking it under the assumption that it does have something to do with Ensi. Not that this need to be true, of course. If it does, is that Ensi’s soul bird? Or her Luonto?

About the other half of the team, I’m sure Surma didn’t just die of a fall caused by itself? Right? That would be so anticlimactic. So I’m going to assume it’s just knocked out for a bit, and will emerge to pester the warriors hanging from something or other.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4097 on: July 09, 2021, 11:00:40 PM »
I also thought that particular bubble had a different color compare to the other ones, which is weird. Does Ensi have some specific way of existing in the Kade? Does she still keep something of herself there? Or is it just what Tuuri-bird sees?.. 
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

catbirds

« Reply #4098 on: July 10, 2021, 12:39:48 AM »
I think we'll find out more about that in the coming pages. It's probably that she maybe maintained some sense of individuality considering the bird skeleton is still intact - maybe whatever it is, it'll decay if it's in the Kade for too long. But some semblance of Ensi is still in there and able to recognize when her name is called or a relative is nearby.

It does kind of feel like the other half of the team isn't doing much at the moment, but a number of arcs in SSSS have been resolved in kind of strange ways that don't really involve actually killing the Big Bad, y'know? Like when Lalli and Emil fell asleep in the trash can after the weird long spider attacked the dusklings or when Reynir helped the pastor do the job instead of Vanquishing the Horse on his own.

Also, Bees, I also saw the typo :P It made me laugh a little bit

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #4099 on: July 10, 2021, 03:22:59 AM »
Erm, what typo? I didn't notice any.

I wonder, if Ensi can still be found inside the Kade, what about the other people (like Hilja)? I'd be surprised if Ensi had a special place/behaviour. Maybe the Kade will in the end separate into the souls of the different people that make it up.
Or there might be some finnish folklore about dealing with a Kade that applies.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4100 on: July 10, 2021, 05:52:45 AM »
Groupoid, the typo is thankfully fixed now. She had accidentally dropped an o out of “that counts as a cliffhanger”. So yeah, kinda unfortunate.

Catbirds, I don’t feel like this situation would be comparable to either the notoros or Pastor Anne, although obviously this is an opinion only.

The notoros were an extremely major threat, but they appeared by “chance” (more or less a random encounter) and happened over one long scene. Or maybe two, but still. And the giant didn’t appear by happy accident, Lalli woke it up with the small charges he threw. So to me it was more “the main threat of overall dangerous environment is almost realized by the notoros but Lalli’s action to use the environment against the most immediate threat saves the day”.

Pastor Anne on the other hand did the job on the murderghosts, but getting them to her took decisive effort from Reynir. Surprisingly decisive, he seems to largely be happy to just go with the flow. But getting to the church he trusted his instincts against Onni’s advice, bullied Onni to meeting Anne and disobeyed Mikkel’s direct order to not stray from the road. And there was build-up with Reynir’s visions to indicate the church would be instrumental in the solution of the ghost problem.

So, in neither case the solution just dropped out of the blue. Btw I would be happy if the bears and Surma were resolved by the team getting them to fight each other. But if the long time mystery threat Surma comes face to no face with the team purely by accident (falling through breaking floor into the Shrieking Blanket’s lair) and pretty much directly after arriving gets inadvertently slain by itself, again by accident… anticlimactic! Although on could also argue it goes to show how unstable the environment and the situation are, and how foolhardy the team who would definitely had died if no for the fortunate accident. Just not my personal preference.

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4101 on: July 11, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
Is SSSSComic.com offline for others as well?

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #4102 on: July 11, 2021, 11:15:36 AM »
Is SSSSComic.com offline for others as well?

Me too! And it's offline according to several "is it offline" websites.  :( I am pretty sure it was up as of 12 hours ago (UTC 03:00) but not since UTC 12:00.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #4103 on: July 11, 2021, 11:15:50 AM »
I can't get on the website either. Maybe it's just down for maintenance?

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4104 on: July 11, 2021, 11:49:24 AM »
The site is back again.

catbirds

« Reply #4105 on: July 12, 2021, 02:51:13 AM »
Catbirds, I don’t feel like this situation would be comparable to either the notoros or Pastor Anne, although obviously this is an opinion only.

Yeah, this situation does kind of feel like a bunch of coincidences coming together and feels pretty troll-driven, I guess that's the major difference you're talking about? I'm not sure, but the adventure has been quite a high-speed chase recently. I get what you're talking about, though.

I have a tendency to just forget story events unfortunately (no matter how much I CareTM) so it's hard for me to be specific especially in such a long webcomic, but I think SSSS does tend to resolve conflicts in "unconventional" methods as in the protagonists don't win after some long action sequence. But I'm not sure how much like... most mainstream apocalypse/action stories can be compared to webcomics. They probably have to be a bit more creative with their solutions because every major troll they encounter is different and the goal from the onset was never to actually Fight Trolls (At least in the first adventure, they wanted to get books quickly and Not Die, and in the second one I think it was to get Onni?). And many people have pointed out that SSSS is not a typical apocalypse story that takes place immediately after the catastrophe.

The situation where they sneak away while Surma and Bear duke it out would also be "unconventional," but maybe just not as engaging. The exception is if this isn't actually the Main Fight in the physical world, but it feels like it's supposed to be! What other trolls are there, even? I didn't clarify this, but this is also just IMO and I'm probably forgetting several vital details either way :P

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #4106 on: July 12, 2021, 07:46:25 AM »
Catbirds, I agree with you that in SSSS conflict resolution tends to be something else than protagonist fighting until splendid victory :) The grosslings are overwhelmingly stronger than any humans, and our team has quite a limited arsenal. Now even more limited than during Adventure 1, where they could be expected to resupply from the Cat Tank.

So I’m definitely not hoping for an epic fight scene team warriors vs Surma! If they were to win such a fight, it would most definitely be unbelievable beyond suspension of disbelief. All large trolls have been taken down either by material or magic explosions, and even then mostly inadvertently e.g. by blowing up the entire building to kill Tooth Scary (and, almost, Lalli as well). So, I fully expect that Surma will die because of a fall or things falling on it, or somehow become killed by the Kade. Or maybe they will emil it. But in any case it would make for more satisfying storytelling, if the team actually played some part in it :)

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #4107 on: July 12, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
Catbirds, I agree with you that in SSSS conflict resolution tends to be something else than protagonist fighting until splendid victory

Which, it occurs to me, is one of the things I've liked about it.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #4108 on: July 12, 2021, 09:12:20 AM »
Maybe Surma will survive. it is more likie a force of nature. This things are not killed easily. And if everyone is dead or silent, any loud noise in its hearing range will make surma run away.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #4109 on: July 12, 2021, 11:15:32 AM »
I hope Surma does not survive, however it gets killed.  I feel sorry for it, as for all trolls and grosslings, and would like to see it put out of its misery.