Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 393819 times)

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3900 on: March 18, 2021, 10:35:24 PM »
Huh, good question, but I think it's the Kade color being more extreme. I wonder if that means something... anyways, both our mages seem to be in a great danger of (1) being eaten by a bear (2) looking Kade in the eyes (does Kade even have eyes? If it does, how many? All over it?.....)

Also, thanks for your thoughts, guys, very interesting. When I read the Russian translation of SSSS, people on that website kept saying in the comments that the author of the comic got tired that's why the drawing style became so much looser. That made me feel bad, so I was wondering what do you, guys, think. I do agree with you, though. Style changes. And that is not a bad thing. Maybe one day she will return to her old style or she may not. That is totally up to her. Still interesting to muse about.  :)) :tuuri:
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #3901 on: March 19, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »
Annuil, I recall there was some discussion in the comments when her style started to change – some people seemed to take it as a deep personal affront that her style should evolve. At first, I did not like the sketchier syle, but I kept reading because I find the story interesting, and I respect her right to change her approach. I've got used to it; in some ways I prefer her earlier style, but there is still much to like about how she draws now. I think her use of colour has become more subtle, for example.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3902 on: March 19, 2021, 04:19:14 PM »
Hmm, I don't know where to post it and this is the closest thing to "anything about SSSS" thread we have, so I'm asking for suggestions.

I worked out quite a few of the real world locations from Minna's "Saimaa Settlements" map for my upcoming fic. I realized there are too many to keep in mind so I made a reference map for myself. Would you like to see it? If yes, where would be a good place to post it?

There is actually a Toivosaari in the Linnasaari National Park which is the area it's located in the comic too. I only noticed today when I was zooming close enough.

I ALSO noticed that Joutenvesi, which on the map of the Known World is listed as the third largest settlement in Finland, has lost settlements only. Ouch.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #3903 on: March 19, 2021, 05:09:03 PM »
I worked out quite a few of the real world locations from Minna's "Saimaa Settlements" map for my upcoming fic. I realized there are too many to keep in mind so I made a reference map for myself. Would you like to see it? If yes, where would be a good place to post it?
I'd say that such a map would be reference material for anyone who wants to know about the canon facts of the comic (if only Minna would reliably stick to such ephemerally established facts later on), so a) yes and b) that's what the stated purpose of the Wiki is, short of case-by-case better-suited tools (like Google Maps is for recording the protagonists' itinerary).

FWIW, I did a bit of the same for the map on page 2.99 and came up with Jänissalo for the Northernmost settlements on that map and Vasaransaari for the ones farthest to the East - with the additional criterion that I preferred names that Google Maps would have attached to only one place in Finland. While there is no good match between the in-comic locks of the Saimaa Canal and their real-world counterparts. (In reality, the three locks on Finnish soil actually are all huddled near the lake system.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #3904 on: March 19, 2021, 05:45:38 PM »
Yeah, exactly that map. I just zoomed Google maps in and out to try to catch the overall form of the lakes and some of the biggest islands :) The widths especially vary a lot in Minna's map in comparison to the real life lakes and straits, but I think I got the basics more or less right.

But, alas, I don't know how to get it into the Wiki! I use the forum (and Disqus, which is NOT the place :) )

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3905 on: March 19, 2021, 08:15:58 PM »
There is a page in the Wiki that has links to the maps Minna has presented in canon (among other links).

I'm trying to find a link to the Minnion-maintained map that tracks their journey?  Why am I not finding this?  Last I saw, it was maintained as at landing in Finland in Adv. II.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

« Reply #3906 on: March 20, 2021, 02:44:19 AM »
I'm trying to find a link to the Minnion-maintained map that tracks their journey?  Why am I not finding this?  Last I saw, it was maintained as at landing in Finland in Adv. II.
The Wiki('s Main Page) has a link to the old Journey Map, the one that turned unusable ... uh ... it was either lost admin access or a change of the provider's Terms and Conditions incompatible with our use case, I'm not sure anymore. Changing that to the new Journey Map (that's being referred to here in the forum and in Disqus every now and then) is one of the many many OH SO MANY updates to do to the Wiki once I get a Round Tuit™, I'm afraid ...
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie

Groupoid

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #3908 on: March 20, 2021, 12:38:33 PM »
Also, thanks for your thoughts, guys, very interesting. When I read the Russian translation of SSSS, people on that website kept saying in the comments that the author of the comic got tired that's why the drawing style became so much looser. That made me feel bad, so I was wondering what do you, guys, think.
She’s probably trying to draw quicker, by leaving out details. In a stream/video, during the second adventure I think, she mentioned that it’s important to her to draw comic pages with few details, so she could draw them quicker, and drawing posters and such with more detail.
I think I like her current art style more. An important thing she did early on, was changing Emil’s face. I can’t point out what changed, but I don’t like the early Emil as much as the current one. Maybe it’s also because his personality changed.
I think her current style causes more (good) emotions in me, than her earlier style, but that’s probably also influenced a lot by how I read the comic.
Native: :de: (:ch:), Ok: :gb:, Rusty: :fr:, A bit: :ru:

MollyVampiric

• I'm always up too late, don't worry
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her, with love
« Reply #3909 on: March 21, 2021, 02:09:22 AM »
Gotta agree with Groupoid on this one. I've always been a big fan of loose, almost effortless looking art.
Constructive criticism is highly appreciated! <3

Sevseres

« Reply #3910 on: March 23, 2021, 03:19:09 AM »
By saying “the story arc” is she saying that SSSS will be done after this one adventure with the Kade? I think she was going to continue with new adventures as long as she was into it, did she confirm that’s not happening or did I misread?
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

catbirds

« Reply #3911 on: March 23, 2021, 03:32:42 AM »
I'm not the best with analogies, but I think that's what she means by "pulling the boat into the nearest harbour." Supposedly, there is another harbour that she was aiming for at an earlier time.

Also supposedly, she at one point considered ending the story after the first adventure, so I doubt there'll be too many loose plot threads left dangling.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3912 on: March 23, 2021, 08:39:03 AM »
By saying “the story arc” is she saying that SSSS will be done after this one adventure with the Kade? I think she was going to continue with new adventures as long as she was into it, did she confirm that’s not happening or did I misread?

My understanding from what Minna said it that she will keep this story arc as innitialy planned, and that will be the end of SSSS.

There was a time when she had many other stories on her head and intended to keep doing SSSS for a long time. But now she seems headed in another direction, to create another project.

That made me sad. I really enjoy SSSS, and I enjoy even more this wonderful community that we have here. In some way it's a utopic place, where people respect and care each other while they politely share their thoughts and experiences. I pictured myself wandering the halls of this Forum and finding it empty and silent, and that's one sad picture.

But nothing stays forever, and we still have some time (I'd say a year or a little more). What we will do? I don't know, but I do know that I don't want to loose contact with the wonderful people that I met here.  :)

Hopefully Minna's next project will be as good as SSSS, and we would be able to follow, just as some came from the ARTD time.
I'd love if she did a City of Hunger story. it would allow a completely different setting while retaining a strong connection with SSSS.

And to speak about last page: What an amazing and heartrending portrait of loss. No need for sounds here.

Butter Good!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #3913 on: March 23, 2021, 07:37:22 PM »
My understanding from what Minna said it that she will keep this story arc as initially planned, and that will be the end of SSSS.

I feel very sad, as if my friend just received a terminal diagnosis.  Of course all things end and Minna has to live her life for herself and not for us, but still ... I feel very sad.

JoB

« Reply #3914 on: March 23, 2021, 07:47:44 PM »
My understanding from what Minna said it that she will keep this story arc as innitialy planned, and that will be the end of SSSS.
That's my understanding, too, though I wouldn't be surprised if it suddenly ended at some chapter close with lots of loose ends instead ...

There was a time when she had many other stories on her head and intended to keep doing SSSS for a long time. But now she seems headed in another direction, to create another project.
At one time, she mentioned having material for a handful of arcs and inspiration to keep at it for an entire worklife, if only it'd work out economically. I'm not sure she cut all of that just now, though. Anyway, she specifically announced that her next project will sit in the light of her newfound religion, so I'm not holding any hope of it being even remotely related to her earlier works.