Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 393962 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #3645 on: June 27, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
Roísín, it does leave one wondering. As do many things...

JoB, those are hilarious examples. Again, it leaves me scratching my head, wondering at the things that apparently can be seen as a "good" idea by someone, somewhere.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #3646 on: June 28, 2020, 04:44:24 AM »
JoB, Ngl I was really confused for a bit and was about o give up, but then I realized you were talking about “quoting” your post.
Ooooooooooops, sorry. I must've slipped to Thunderbird-ish for a moment there ...

May I share this fine power with the rest of the Jedi cult?
I don't have the slightest idea what the Jedi equivalent of an exorcism looks like, but if you're dead set to finding out ...

Again, it leaves me scratching my head, wondering at the things that apparently can be seen as a "good" idea by someone, somewhere.
I don't think that those specific cases ever made it to the level of a thought with the developers until the bug reports started to flow back in, much less saw an evaluation that could've led to anything like "yup, wanna" ...

(Nonetheless, I assume that running the new version on some text corpus or even e-mail archives and reviewing the matches returned could have revealed such possibilities beforehand. It'd take time, though ...)

[sudden mental picture of what would happen if a net-nanny developer dpt. were to use its product themselves]
"As a native speaker of Mumbo, I would suggest to unlist 'w***a' and keep only the first person singular futur of it, 'w***ayi', blocked."
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #3647 on: July 06, 2020, 12:40:04 AM »
I have had a thought, which I keep thinking of, which of course is no indicator of its accuracy.

And the thought is this: yes, that's Grandma (something about the hands brings on this thought); and Grandma is Surma. The kade (who's probably the non-Surma figure we saw killing birds) managed to turn her into a troll, despite immunity. She was a powerful mage, and a very strong woman; she made a very strong and very nasty troll.

But she was a powerful mage, and a very strong woman; so there's still some Ensi in there. She ran off to, and stayed in, the wilderness, so that she wouldn't kill humans, at least. And she's not going to kill Lalli or Onni, either -- she may actually be hunting the trolls which threaten them.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #3648 on: July 06, 2020, 02:35:05 AM »
On one hand, this is too convoluted by my own abritrary standards. On the other, I'm too much of a forgiving optimist at heart to not be onboard with the "monster assumed to be a big danger was protecting the protagonists all along" twist. And come to think of it, that could work even if it's not Ensi. Maybe Surma is actually attracted by gunshots because its instincts are less "FoOd",  and more "SoMeOnE nEeDs HeLp". But the help takes a form that gives people the wrong idea and makes them assume they'll be next if they don't scatter away while it's taking care of the trolls that were attacking them.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:56:38 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #3649 on: July 06, 2020, 04:36:28 AM »
On one hand, this is too convoluted by my own abritrary standards. On the other, I'm too much of a forgiving optimist at heart to not be onboard with the "monster assumed to be a big danger was protecting the protagonists all along" twist. And come to think of it, that could work even if it's not Ensi. Maybe Surma isn't attracted by gunshots because its instincts are less "FoOd",  and more "SoMeOnE nEeDs HeLp". But the help takes a form that gives people the wrong idea and makes them assume they'll be next if they don't scatter away while it's taking care of the trolls that were attacking them.
Interesting theory. I don't think, however, that it's going this way. I believe that all points (particularly the info pages about Kades) to Ensi being ensnared by the Kade and somehow part of its internal "community". And I also believe (but that's the writer in me) that the upcoming epic boss fight with the Kade will be somehow played in the dreamworld... Inside the Kade's dreamworld, to be more precise. :)
Anyway, if "monster assumed to be a big danger was protecting the protagonists all along" theory was Minna's chosen one then we could expect Surma unexpectedly dropping in the fight to protect them from the Kade (maybe buying them some precious time?). it would be a nice twist.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3650 on: July 06, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »
Surma: We have got to stop meeting like this.  Seriously.  They're mine.
Kade!Ensi: You said that about the last seven.  Now stop flirting.  They're mine!
S: Mine!
E: Mine!
Gulls suddenly converging: MINE! MINE!
E: NOW look what you've done!  YOUR turn to deal with their master!
S: perkele
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3651 on: July 06, 2020, 07:06:29 AM »
Just thought of the fact that neither Ensi nor Anne-Mari's graves were shown in the graveyard, and that we have only gotten an in-story explanation for the absence of Ensi's. And that Anne-Mari was definitely not immune.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:47:53 AM by Grade E cat »

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3652 on: July 06, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »
Just thought of the fact that neither Ensi nor Anne-Mari's graves were shown in the graveyard, and that we have only gotten an in-story explanation for the absence of Ensi's. And that Anne-Mari was definitely not immune.  ;)
Oh, so we could have a scene with Onni trapped between Surma and a chasm, where "she" invites him to join the dark side and adds "Onni, I'm your mother" ?

I'm sure the Emperor Kade would approve... "Everything That Has Transpired Has Done So According To My Design."   :o
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3653 on: July 06, 2020, 08:04:10 PM »

Wasn't that discussed somewhere (forum or comments), and somebody pointed out that maybe her stone simply wasn't shown? Not to say that's not a suitably spooky idea, just that the stone not being visible may have been a matter of page composition, not foreshadowing. But what a plot twist that would be...

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3654 on: July 06, 2020, 10:41:24 PM »
I think I was the one to point out Anne-Mari's stone's absence, but really haven't speculated much about it since.  It certainly would be spooky if she were It, as perhaps a tool forged for use by the kade. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Grade E cat

• Ranger
« Reply #3655 on: July 07, 2020, 02:19:05 AM »
I currently subscribe to "It" being what Onni calls the Kade, while Surma would be a different entity, possibly mutated from Anne-Mari.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3656 on: July 07, 2020, 07:41:34 PM »
I currently subscribe to "It" being what Onni calls the Kade, while Surma would be a different entity, possibly mutated from Anne-Mari.

Oooh, now I get what you're saying. Interesting! It never occurred to me to connect Surma with the Hotakainens, I figured it was yet another scary monster, that's all. But whatever it's origins, I do wonder why it's so darn touchy. The nature of each troll seems to be connected to its former life. Who was this scary creature?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #3657 on: July 08, 2020, 05:54:21 AM »
Oooh, now I get what you're saying. Interesting! It never occurred to me to connect Surma with the Hotakainens, I figured it was yet another scary monster, that's all. But whatever it's origins, I do wonder why it's so darn touchy. The nature of each troll seems to be connected to its former life. Who was this scary creature?
A librarian? :)

(They usually get very touchy with noises...)

If we find out that its lair is on the former Joensuu library we will have an answer.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #3658 on: July 08, 2020, 06:09:23 PM »
A librarian? :)

(They usually get very touchy with noises...)

If we find out that its lair is on the former Joensuu library we will have an answer.

Haha, brilliant suggestion!  :'D

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #3659 on: July 09, 2020, 05:21:15 AM »
All of this got me thinking - back where Kade!Hilja tricked Ensi, we speculated a lot whether Ensi could be so strong as to be able to resist the Kade at least partially. Sooo... what if Surma is what's left of Ensi, and It is the Kade, hunting for Onni and Lalli to use them as weapons / bait / bargaining chips to finally get Ensi fully into itself.

On the other hand, as Ensi was immune, she shouldn't have physically trollified like that, especially if not integrated into the Kade. Surma notwithstanding, maybe there still is an inkling of hope something of Ensi survives within the Kade?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.