Author Topic: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat  (Read 393998 times)

Antillanka

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: her, thank you ;)
Re: Latest Page Discussions/Comic Update Chitchat
« Reply #2610 on: August 10, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »
@ waveright62: *returns kisses* It was my pleasure. :3

Why do I need to think of this so badly with the new page?

(Would actually be worth to make a meme about this with Emil's head on the dog's...)

Hehehe I thought of that exact comic too!!
Iguana with issues

Speaks: :chile:('cause that sh*t ain't :spain: XD); :usa:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #2611 on: August 12, 2017, 04:42:53 AM »
*sigh* Okay look, it honestly bugs me, a lot, that you're advocating for Emil here despite him showing no sign whatsoever that he actually cares, yet you didn't care at all to give Sigrun that same benefit of the doubt when she didn't seem sufficiently torn up over killing that water beast. As a matter of fact, the exact phrase you used was "high-functioning psychopath"? That's incredibly unfair.

I advocate for Emil because he resembles me a lot and I feel like I see where he comes from.

Funny that you remember what I said about Sigrun, but forget what I prefaced that commentary with: that is my interpretation/headcanon, and is based on the fact that I knew someone who behaved extremely similarly to her. I never tried to pass it as "The Correct Reading Of Sigrun", and for the record I don't think that's how Minna intends Sigrun to be seen.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:00:18 PM by Gwenno »

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #2612 on: August 12, 2017, 06:22:39 AM »

I'm certainly willing to discuss differences of opinion when it comes to the characters - and yes, I will defend my point of view and explain where I'm coming from, which while I might get overly enthusiastic is in no way intended to "convince everyone they're wrong". (As a matter of fact, I recall outright saying that I was hoping to be wrong about Emil in this chapter, but that doesn't change the fact that I read what I read and I'm still going to require convincing.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:00:35 PM by Gwenno »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

ZanarNaryon

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #2613 on: August 14, 2017, 06:15:39 AM »
I read a fanfic some time ago where single trolls could grow so enormous, far beyond giants, that they filled entire buildings, sewer systems, even cities, making the cities their own sentient beings. Obviously, Minna will most likely not do something like that, that'd be silly, but this page might be hinting at something on a smaller scale. Have you noticed a weird thing about troll nests? They seem almost organic, like a xenomorph nest from Alien, or an area with spores in the Last of Us. In these stories, it pretty much makes sense. Xenomorphs are insectoid, insects makes hives, and cordyceps are fungi, they grow like plants.
But what about trolls? Sure, it could just be a sort of evolutionary isolation, to keep the nests warm, but that would be boring. What if the walls and "structures" of a troll nest are actually an entirely separate troll? We've kinda seen it before, the sjødraug who seems to have grown part of the road. Or what if this is a kind of Vætte? We know vætter keeps in caves, in the shadows, studying bypassers. We always assumed they just hid in the caves, but what if they actually filled the caves, essentially making the opening to the cave their mouths, waiting for innocents to walk close enough to be stabbed by limbs, and pulled inside the waiting gap?
Native: :norway:
Fluent: :england:
Understands: :sweden: :denmark:
Unpracticed: :iceland:
Working on it: :germany:
A few assorted sentences in Quenya
:chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05: :A2chap06: :A2chap07:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #2614 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:56 AM »
Zanarnaryon, that's a really scary idea. I know SectoBoss did some fanfics where entire cities fused into a sort of sentient supergiant, and Dire has one going where an insectoid giant which captures its prey in ways that look rather like a more violent version of today's page lives in the sewers of a city. (Good guess, Dire).

I have wondered whether the Rash organism worked in similar ways to the Cordyceps that takes over burrowing caterpillars, or the Zombie Ant fungus, or even those nematodes that inhabit a spider, eating it out from the inside, and forcing it to seek out water when the nematode wants to breed. (If you look up 'coffee cup/huntsman spider/nematode/Sydney Museum' on the internet you should find something about those. Warning for parasitic squick.)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:34:53 PM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2615 on: August 14, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
As I said in the comic comments today.,, I really hope this new one is nothing like the "puppeteer" troll I came up with for the AU.., if it is, they're in trouble.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2616 on: August 14, 2017, 08:37:42 PM »
I read a fanfic some time ago where single trolls could grow so enormous, far beyond giants, that they filled entire buildings, sewer systems, even cities, making the cities their own sentient beings. Obviously, Minna will most likely not do something like that, that'd be silly, but this page might be hinting at something on a smaller scale.
Minna did say (via the http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=178 Beasts, Trolls, & Giants info page) that giants are occasionally a single very large organism, so maybe not so silly.

I suspect this one is not a singleton, though.  Your suggestion of on the nest lining - ewww, but very viable.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2617 on: August 16, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
Huh. Just stumbled across this picture someone was kind enough to post upthread:

Evidence that what we thought were the tracks of someone peeling off from the group were in fact the tracks of the deer coming by after they'd already passed? (I cannot take credit for this idea, but am growing increasingly more in support of it.)

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #2618 on: August 17, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
Huh. Just stumbled across this picture someone was kind enough to post upthread:

Evidence that what we thought were the tracks of someone peeling off from the group were in fact the tracks of the deer coming by after they'd already passed? (I cannot take credit for this idea, but am growing increasingly more in support of it.)
This is the track of Reynies fylgja dog though (seen on page 717)
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #2619 on: August 17, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »

They're definitely too small to be human footprints.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #2620 on: August 17, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
So, it looks like it's a giant, again. Confronting Emil and Lalli, again. Like the very first live grossling we saw. Last encounter of the expedition, like, circular reference/book end?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:06:54 PM by Rollo »
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2621 on: August 17, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
So, it looks like it's a giant, again. Confronting Emil and Lalli, again. Like the very first live grossling we saw. Last encounter of the expedition, like, circular reference/book end?
It would be, if this was indeed the *last* encounter, but I sincerely doubt it will be the last.  This is after all, just over halfway through through Minna's proposed story.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #2622 on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »
It would be, if this was indeed the *last* encounter, but I sincerely doubt it will be the last.  This is after all, just over halfway through through Minna's proposed story.

Oh I didn't mean last encounter of the entire story, just, last encounter of *this particular expedition*.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #2623 on: August 18, 2017, 07:18:45 AM »
Oh I didn't mean last encounter of the entire story, just, last encounter of *this particular expedition*.

About that... Minna's hinted (I think she's said, but then again I don't trust anything Minna says anymore) that there are going to be other missions after this one. What I've been wondering is... how? Where are they going to get the funding for another mission after the first one was such a disaster? (The books, maybe, but they had to leave a lot of them behind and those few they have with them might barely be enough to get the Västerströms out of debt...)

CAMIR

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: she
« Reply #2624 on: August 18, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
About that... Minna's hinted (I think she's said, but then again I don't trust anything Minna says anymore) that there are going to be other missions after this one. What I've been wondering is... how? Where are they going to get the funding for another mission after the first one was such a disaster? (The books, maybe, but they had to leave a lot of them behind and those few they have with them might barely be enough to get the Västerströms out of debt...)
Maybe the next mission is the tank rescue mission where they are sent back to retrieve what they had to leave behind?
Native:
Fluent:
Communication is possible: