Author Topic: The Minnastry of Truth at work?  (Read 12406 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: The Minnastry of Truth at work?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »
So...I don't have any way to verify this, but I swear when Onni was first introduced, his listed profession was "Military: Mage, Day Scout." In the course of getting feedback for a fic I'm working on, it was pointed out to me that he hasn't left Keuruu's walls in eleven years. Which...would make the "scout" part kind of difficult, but I'd never thought about it before. So I checked the character page and it just lists his profession as "Mage". The page on which he's introduced says "Military: Mage" but it kind of looks like it might have been edited (the rest of the lines have dots to fill up the empty space, but that one doesn't). Does anyone else remember him being listed as a Day Scout at one time, or am I just crazy?
The actual image file has been re-uploaded Jan-2016, but is identical to the one I downloaded 01-Jul-2015. No claim to scouthood when his Wiki page was set up in early Sep-2014, either.

I doubt that the author's comment on the page, which says "Mr. mage Onni", has been changed along with it, though. Also, the Disqus comments on the page refer to "scout-boy", meaning Lalli, without any mention of Onni also being a scout.

He's also flat out called a mage by the text accompanying the preview of his character.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 05:14:21 AM »
It's obviously just a case of the Berenstein Bears/Mandela effect.  ;)
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2016, 05:20:42 PM »
Mandela Effect?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Internet theory. Here: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-mandela-effect

K'ay then.... that may explain why my dad says we have two jeep J300s but only have paper records for one.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

P__

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 05:19:52 PM »
not really an in-comic "truth" (that's always been like that except not), but until we get excited enough / have enough things to say to start a sideproject thread, I figure here's a good place to keep this change archived (especially the Twitter link, they tend to get lost):
the 3rd side-project update shows some preliminar character stats, but 10 days before that, twitter showed different stats for Lalli, Mikkel and Emil
edit: they may actually be on the same scale since the difference is not huge and they're different levels, but either Sigrun isn't or she's an actual goddess in-game
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:28:13 PM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »
As we know, there has been a second print run of SSSSvol1 sold exclusively through HiveWorks. Now an anonymous user has edited the wiki page on Dalsnes, stating that the World Map in it matches the online version again (whereas the books of the original print run had various edits in it). That would make the second print run into a second edition IMHO. Could someone who bought one of those books please confirm that?

Back in September I promised to check this...

Today I actually did.

The map in the second edition has indeed reverted to the online version with Dalsnes on the south side of Sognefjord and back at number 3 on the population list.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2017, 02:29:25 AM »
Back in September I promised to check this...

Today I actually did.

The map in the second edition has indeed reverted to the online version with Dalsnes on the south side of Sognefjord and back at number 3 on the population list.

I just noticed a tiny difference, though: The world map of the second print run has a revision date set in Year 90 in small print at the top, while the online one has Year 87. What does that the first print run say? (Either way, I love how our confusion can be chalked up to scribal error in-world now, it feels so organic!)
Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

Purple Wyrm

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2017, 02:42:27 AM »
I just noticed a tiny difference, though: The world map of the second print run has a revision date set in Year 90 in small print at the top, while the online one has Year 87. What does that the first print run say? (Either way, I love how our confusion can be chalked up to scribal error in-world now, it feels so organic!)

Do you mean the other way round? Both my printed ones have 87, and the online map has 90.

Elleth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Sgru'd
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2017, 08:31:38 AM »
Do you mean the other way round? Both my printed ones have 87, and the online map has 90.

Whoops, my bad. I only have the second printed book, but yes, I accidentally switched those around. Online is Year 90, and book is Year 87.
Á tarë quildë, á harë tínë.

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

:germany: (native) :uk: (fluent) :vaticancity: (had to) :spain: (okay) :denmark: (learning) :france: (learning)

P__

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2018, 05:57:55 AM »
Hey, is there a dedicated thread for book 2? I think there's one but my phone is too dumb to find it yes. Blame the phone, no-one will suspect anything.
Anyway, I finally started leafing through my book 2 PDF, and I notice that, page 61 (web page 330), Onni and Lalli refer to Reynir as "(not) ally". I distinctly remember Lalli saying "He's not my friend!"
Am I misremembering?
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2018, 06:20:09 AM »
Hey, is there a dedicated thread for book 2? I think there's one but my phone is too dumb to find it yes. Blame the phone, no-one will suspect anything.
Anyway, I finally started leafing through my book 2 PDF, and I notice that, page 61 (web page 330), Onni and Lalli refer to Reynir as "(not) ally". I distinctly remember Lalli saying "He's not my friend!"
Am I misremembering?

As far as I know, we don't have that thread (yet?)
And yes, you are misremembering, I just checked page 330 where Lalli says "He's not my ally"
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »
As far as I know, we don't have that thread (yet?)
And yes, you are misremembering, I just checked page 330 where Lalli says "He's not my ally"

Well, this whole thread is about how Minna sometimes goes back and changes details in some pages, so that's not much proof.

But for whatever's worth (to answer P__), I do remember that page saying "ally" right from the start. And it makes sense to be this way if you look at the characters involved. Neither Lalli nor Onni bond with people easily, they wouldn't throw around the word "friend" when actually they mean acquaintance. Notice how Onni deliberately asks Lalli if he made any friends later, when they get some time to breathe and be alone and relax. It's not the kind of thing he assumes.

Kis

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Ugh
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2018, 07:23:26 AM »
Well, this whole thread is about how Minna sometimes goes back and changes details in some pages, so that's not much proof.

Ah! Sorry, should've looked where I was posting :/
Native: :russia:
Somewhat okay: :uk:
Know a few words: :sweden:

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2018, 07:54:07 AM »
Seeing this thread again reminded me of something I meant to ask but somehow never got around to: Onni's TV Tropes entry has a couple places either implying or outright stating that he used to scout, that were added before I started paying attention to the page. Knowing myself to be relatively new, I left them alone in case there had been some kind of older word of Minna I was not aware of specifying it.
However, I'm quite sure these entries have something to do with people remembering him as having been a day scout at some point. Should I change them?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:48:10 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.