Author Topic: Character Development: Onni  (Read 29038 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Character Development: Onni
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »
Might be. Fun to speculate though. Didn't Minna say something, very early on, about 'if any of the prologue characters were still alive they'd be very old'? Wish I could remember just where! But she didn't actually say that none were.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
Well the only other piece of intel we have in all of this is that the gun Lalli uses is grandma's gun. So she is either dead or retired - or retired and died.

But considering the stuff scouts do, my take on it is that mistakes are not the kind you get to make twice.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 09:09:47 AM »
...... she is either dead or retired - or retired and died.

the grandma is/would be 90 years old. if Trond is retired over 60, she must be retired. I still believe she is alive, because people can even live for 90 years too, but anyone else in the prologue could be already dead for long, because all would be live over 100, which is even rare today to live over 100 years. 90 is already a lot but I have relatives over 90 too (my grandpa's older sisters) so why not? and if they get a safe place to live at, they are going to be okay to live long I guess. and depends on lifestyle.

I believe she is still alive..... I just hope at least her
sorry for these comment here
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »
the grandma is/would be 90 years old. if Trond is retired over 60, she must be retired. I still believe she is alive, because people can even live for 90 years too, but anyone else in the prologue could be already dead for long, because all would be live over 100, which is even rare today to live over 100 years. 90 is already a lot but I have relatives over 90 too (my grandpa's older sisters) so why not? and if they get a safe place to live at, they are going to be okay to live long I guess. and depends on lifestyle.

I believe she is still alive..... I just hope at least her
sorry for these comment here
It's pretty obvious that Lalli's grandmother is the yet-unborn-child of the pregnant Lady (Aino?) from the prologue. She looked pretty far along but they didn't mention anything about her due date which makes me think it's still some months away, otherwise she'd be concerned about having to deliver the baby on the boat. Which would make her about 90 years old, if she was indeed still alive.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »
It's pretty obvious that Lalli's grandmother is the yet-unborn-child of the pregnant Lady (Aino?) from the prologue. She looked pretty far along but they didn't mention anything about her due date which makes me think it's still some months away, otherwise she'd be concerned about having to deliver the baby on the boat. Which would make her about 90 years old, if she was indeed still alive.

Well actually, they were only planning on being on the boat for a week, and Tuuli suggested that the baby might come earlier (that they could have a "traditional sauna delivery"), so Aino was far enough along to possibly have the baby on the boat. (which I like to think she did since the rash illness only spread in a week and they'd have to stay offshore)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Cerberyusu

• Pffft
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Out of the blue because I don't handle the timeline myself that well and therefore can't contribute:

I just noticed that Onni has the same ornament on the front his cape as Lalli has in the dreamrealm. Not sure if that is worthy of any speculation about what's going between them, but it is rather peculiar since the detail in that round ornament is so specific. Can't remember that I'd seen it anywhere else at least!

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=389 Onni wears it,
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=207 Lalli wears it.

I have a nagging feeling that such details are not just coincidences. Humm...

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 08:47:13 PM »
Out of the blue because I don't handle the timeline myself that well and therefore can't contribute:

I just noticed that Onni has the same ornament on the front his cape as Lalli has in the dreamrealm. Not sure if that is worthy of any speculation about what's going between them, but it is rather peculiar since the detail in that round ornament is so specific. Can't remember that I'd seen it anywhere else at least!

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=389 Onni wears it,
http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=207 Lalli wears it.

I have a nagging feeling that such details are not just coincidences. Humm...

Onni wears something like that in the dreamworld too http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=327
I think is it is just a finnish clothing thing
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
I think it's a traditional Finnish-style cape or jacket fastener? With the four little cord/tassel thingies being threaded across it to make the shape? At least that's how the similar-looking old Irish ones worked, though they usually had some kind of bead or little carving rather than a tassel.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »
Simple speculation on Onni - his luonto is going to be a bird, either some kind of hawk or an owl.

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=390

Presuming that what Lalli has on his cape thing is a cat (idk it kind of looks like a fox to me), then it seems that mages have their kind of spirit animal plastered on their back - probably as identification or some kind of talisman.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »
Presuming that what Lalli has on his cape thing is a cat (idk it kind of looks like a fox to me), then it seems that mages have their kind of spirit animal plastered on their back - probably as identification or some kind of talisman.

Football teams
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
Simple speculation on Onni - his luonto is going to be a bird, either some kind of hawk or an owl.

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=390

You may well be right about Onni's luonto, but I think what Minna drew on p. 390 showed their departmental symbols: owls for night scouts on Lalli, eagles (like Kokko) for mages -- not their personal totems.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 12:40:41 PM »
Before we were introduced to Lalli's luonto, I associated lynxes with Onni - maybe because his dreamworld hood and because his a cat-like Hotakainen, but more robust. :)

But now i'm also curious what his luonto might be. And whether it can venture into the wilderness while he stays safe within the walls of Keuruu or not.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
You may well be right about Onni's luonto, but I think what Minna drew on p. 390 showed their departmental symbols: owls for night scouts on Lalli, eagles (like Kokko) for mages -- not their personal totems.

Oh.

I had missed that particular piece of information.

Makes sense.

@ Helia

There is also a possibility that he might have problem with his luonto - as part of his bigger personality change. A fundamental change to his nature could have had uh... spiritual repercussions. Or vice versa.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 02:43:37 AM »
From the Disqus comments to p. 396:

turtle lord • 5 days ago
Wait, if Lalli is a novice mage, then what is Onni capable of...?

Sharion  turtle lord • 5 days ago
Angst. Deep, infectious, troll-killer angst.

AndyW  Sharion • 5 days ago
It's true. He's a pre-incarnation of Marvin the paranoid android. Onni reciting the tale of his life can reduce entire nests of trolls into catatonic despair.

It's possible that a bootleg copy of his autobiography (banned for use by the military as being excessively inhumane) fell into the hands of these very trolls ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 07:41:56 AM »
Well I wouldn't say he's really angsty. If anything, he's more paranoid and protective - someone who has retreated both physically and mentally behind barriers - then angsty. The only time I would say he approached that was when Lalli and Tuuri left  - and that's because they were leaving his effective protection range.