Author Topic: False friends  (Read 24830 times)

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
Re: False friends
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2021, 04:39:06 PM »
Now that I think about it, prima is a really interesting Dutch word, which originally comes from the Italian word, but doesn't carry the usual meaning of 'first'. Apparently it was originally used in trading to indicate that goods were of prima kwaliteit(prime quality), and from there it came to mean 'excellent' in a more general sense. Nowadays it's not only used to mean 'excellent', but also 'fine' as in 'that's fine, no problem'. It's a very common word in everyday conversation, and one that hardly seems to be thought of as a loan word.

In german prima is used exactly as in dutch. It is a little bit confusing, when learning italian.

Raaffiie

« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2021, 09:12:35 AM »
In german prima is used exactly as in dutch. It is a little bit confusing, when learning italian.

That's cool that we both use it! I thought German might have it as well but I wasn't sure. I didn't retain much of my high school German lessons, unfortunately, aside from passive reading/listening.
Native: 🇳🇱
Fluent: 🇬🇧
Advanced(last I checked): 🇫🇷
Learning: 🇫🇮, 🇯🇵
Just started: 🇪🇸
Can understand, but terrible at speaking: 🇩🇪

blabo

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
Straks [strax] means "immediately" in :no: [:is:], but "soon" in :nl: [:se:].

Salire means "to climb, to go up" in :it:, whereas salir means "to go out, to step out" in :es: and "to sully, to make dirty" in :fr:.

Fermare is "to stop, to halt" in :it:, but fermer is "to close, to shut" in :fr:.

And one should always pay attention at the different nuances of :gb: travail / :fr: travail / :es: trabajo / :pt: trabalho ("job, work, labor, effort, toil", with different degrees of struggle/pain), vs. :it: travaglio, which either means "struggle" or "labor"... only in the childbirth sense, though. "Job, employment, work" etc. in :it: is lavoro.
:it: + :gb: / :no: (anstendig) / :dk: (vil svare på norsk) / :fr: (un peu) / :nl: (een klein beetje)

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2021, 07:21:11 PM »
Someone on the Internet posted the "Me Gusta" meme as a response to someone else's post on Facebook and I remembered when I first saw that meme.

"Gusta" in Spanish (like; as in "I like") sounds a lot like the word "gust" in English (noun: a brief, strong rush of wind; verb: referring to the wind blowing in gusts).

It's the "rush of wind" part that confused me when I first saw the "Me Gusta" meme because my mind translated it as "I farted."  :V

Considering the facial expression on the meme, it made sense to me at the time. :)
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2021, 12:45:42 PM »
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2021, 01:13:51 PM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

catbirds

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2021, 02:06:51 PM »
Rrrrrrrrrrradio reloj. :D

Oh, at one point it alternates between Spanish and French :( I thought for a second that I magically gained the ability to understand Spanish... maybe someday

Konnash

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2022, 10:45:45 PM »
Here in Brazil, when you're opening doors in shoppings you read the tagged word "puxe" (meaning pull) that when spoken sounds exactly like English "push" ("empurre" in Portuguese)
And never say "pay day" ("dia de pagamento") in Brazil - it sounds exact as "peidei" (En. "I farted") :D

Suominoita

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2022, 01:19:41 PM »

:finland: Talo = House | :estonia: Talu = Farm
:finland: Viineri = Pastry | :estonia: Viiner = A sausage
:finland: Linna = Castle | :estonia: Linn = City
:finland: Kaupunki = City | :estonia: Kaup = Product
:finland: Kalju = Bald | :estonia: Kalju = Cliff
:finland: Pikku = Small | :estonia: Pikk = Long
And finally:
:finland: Katso = to look | :estonia: Katsu = touch
That was an especially difficult one for my classmates to remember. Turned an innocent schooltext about a visit to the ophthalmologist into a horror story about doctors poking the patients in their eye. :D

Ah, but pikk and pitkä aren't that different. Also, I'd translate pikku as little rather than small. As in little brother/sister. for example. Small is pieni.
I add some more:
 :ee:piim (milk) and  :fi:piimä. (sour milk). You want maito.
:ee:öö (night) :fi:öööö... (Er...) Or öööö! (Cheering noise) Still, yö, with plural stem öi- is kind of close to öö anyway.
:ee:pulmad (wedding) :fi:pulmat (problems, puzzles)
:ee:vaim (spirit) :fi: vaimo (wife)
Just makes you wonder what happened at the wedding between a Finnish and an Estonian person.

Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Somewhat :sweden: :germany: