Author Topic: Self-Inserts and OCs  (Read 831617 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Self-Inserts and OCs
« Reply #5160 on: March 21, 2021, 01:04:59 AM »
Eeek!  Spoilers! (Meant to be a surprise reveal)
Ah well, no help for it.
But yes, I am much taken with the possibilities of faith and mental fortitude in individuals in this universe. I personally possess neither! XD  I try to explore diversity, and endeavour to get it right, but accept that I don't always.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

doorcf

« Reply #5161 on: March 21, 2021, 01:32:50 AM »
Eeek!  Spoilers! (Meant to be a surprise reveal)
Ah well, no help for it.
But yes, I am much taken with the possibilities of faith and mental fortitude in individuals in this universe. I personally possess neither! XD  I try to explore diversity, and endeavour to get it right, but accept that I don't always.
Possibly posted on the wrong thread but if not, I also possess neither but considering the reality of the SSSS universe , I think those come just by existing in it
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:36:47 AM by doorcf »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #5162 on: March 21, 2021, 02:59:44 AM »
It might be interesting to consider this as a quest for the Pope, whom she thinks of as a figure like Barbarossa or Vainamoinen or King Arthur who can be brought back from the Summerlands/ retrieved from under the mountain/tracked through the impenetrable mazes of the Vatican to save the world by a sufficiently determined hero!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Corvo

• Writer seeking fame.
« Reply #5163 on: March 21, 2021, 03:07:26 AM »
Somewhat surprising seeing another catholic character although considering the Italian hereditage it is neatly explained. Never really thought about using the swiss bunker system (or something similar) which is a creative birthplace.

It was the most logical solution, in my opinion, to make a Western European legacy survive: the Swiss Bunker system is one of the best kept in the world (it is not by chance that jokes are often made about Switzerland being the best prepared country for the apocalypse) and it is relatively easier to reach, from Italy, than Iceland.

Wait, another Catholic character? Who are you referring to?

That is one good story. And did you know that Wavewright has written several stories that contain Christian mages? Those are good. Look up her work on Archive of our own. One of those stories has both Christian and Hindu magic, and I especially liked the nascent Christian child mage in ‘Thanksgiving at the Last Curry House in New Jersey’ telling her father, as they watch a young man manifesting Agni to kill a giant, something like “No Daddy, that’s not Jesus, that’s just some other god.” and then calmly proceeding to sing the released souls home. Delightful stories.

This is Impressive. You think I can borrow the idea (aka manifesting angels, archangels and saints to kill some giants and then singing to release the until-then trapped souls into their afterlife?

Indeed. Considering what Pastor A has been able to accomplish for 90 years, strong determination and willpower can accomplish many things. A character with very strong willpower will never give up, and until he gives up, it's not over.

It might be interesting to consider this as a quest for the Pope, whom she thinks of as a figure like Barbarossa or Vainamoinen or King Arthur who can be brought back from the Summerlands/ retrieved from under the mountain/tracked through the impenetrable mazes of the Vatican to save the world by a sufficiently determined hero!

It would not be a bad idea, especially if we can imagine a similar path to that of another character (which I do not name now because it does not belong to the universe of SSSS, but if you want, I'll write it as a spoiler)

Róisín

« Reply #5164 on: March 21, 2021, 03:48:03 AM »
I am curious.

doorcf

« Reply #5165 on: March 21, 2021, 03:52:03 AM »
Wait, another Catholic character? Who are you referring to?
My OC Bismarck (which I later modified to use on the RP) is basically a catholic because his family would rather die than let their non-nordic beliefs and traditions get extinguished and he personally is fascinated with the old world. Not the most realistic but sometimes a family is really stubborn.

found here
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=359.msg162997#msg162997
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 03:55:28 AM by doorcf »

Róisín

« Reply #5166 on: March 21, 2021, 04:37:53 AM »
Had a look at the Archive list and the other Wavewright story with a Christian mage was ‘Xeriscape’, which is about a Christian mage finding water in the desert while using the Lord’s Prayer as a protective wardspell. Good story. And she did another story, ‘Abide With Me’, with not a Christian mage but a troll who is held to sanity not by faith but by a devotion to music, who catches the attention of a young Sigrun with his heartfelt brass-instrument rendition of that Christian hymn.

Corvo

• Writer seeking fame.
« Reply #5167 on: March 21, 2021, 06:19:53 AM »
I am curious.

The character I am referring to is

Spoiler:  who is the mysterious guy? • show

Saint Walker, the First Blue Lantern in the DC Universe.

This is his story 8according to Wikia)

Bro'Dee Walker was a devout family man, married to Quanta. They had two children together, a son named Jatt and a daughter named Peesh. Their planet was ending because their sun became unstable, and the ensuing panic caused widespread rioting and violence. Feeling just reading scripture with his family was not enough, he decided they would search for their Messiah. A being shrouded in mystery, of whom was said he could only be found on Mount Helious by true believers. Though his own father advised against it, Walker and his family decided to undertake the journey.

The journey was perilous, but Walker explained all their hardships as a test by their God. All would be well, he assured them. But not for all, for one by one his relatives would perish. His father sunk through a rope bridge and fell into a canyon. His wife and daughter drowned when a calm river suddenly became flooded by a dam break upstream. And finally, his son succumbed to eating poisonous fruits. His hope would not abate, nor would his faith.

He finally reached the top of Mount Helious, only to have all his hope slip away. He found no Messiah, just a smooth stone monolith. Enraged, he cursed God and tore up the scripture, commanding him to show him the Messiah. And God answered. A single bolt of lightning, followed by a burst of rain. As he looked at the monolith, he saw his reflection in the polished stone and had an epiphany. He was the Messiah.

He returned to his hometown, still engulfed in riots. He preached for days on end, until finally, all listened. And when they did, their red sun turned blue, and a blue ring found Walker. Their planet was safe.

He is an interesting character, showing how much faith and willpower can do.

My OC Bismarck (which I later modified to use on the RP) is basically a catholic because his family would rather die than let their non-nordic beliefs and traditions get extinguished and he personally is fascinated with the old world. Not the most realistic but sometimes a family is really stubborn.

found here
https://ssssforum.com/index.php?topic=359.msg162997#msg162997

He seems like a very interesting character. Is she already part of the roleplay? I ask because, I would love in case our Oc's could meet?

Had a look at the Archive list and the other Wavewright story with a Christian mage was ‘Xeriscape’, which is about a Christian mage finding water in the desert while using the Lord’s Prayer as a protective wardspell. Good story. And she did another story, ‘Abide With Me’, with not a Christian mage but a troll who is held to sanity not by faith but by a devotion to music, who catches the attention of a young Sigrun with his heartfelt brass-instrument rendition of that Christian hymn.

They sound like wonderful stories. I could get a lot of interesting insights from them....

doorcf

« Reply #5168 on: March 21, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »
He seems like a very interesting character. Is she already part of the roleplay? I ask because, I would love in case our Oc's could meet?
The oc that I'm using in the RP is a modified version of him to better fit the era (this is after 2 other expeditions after the canon one) so he is agnostic and was also part of the cleansers although his curiosityn for the old world is still there

Corvo

• Writer seeking fame.
« Reply #5169 on: March 21, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »
The oc that I'm using in the RP is a modified version of him to better fit the era (this is after 2 other expeditions after the canon one) so he is agnostic and was also part of the cleansers although his curiosityn for the old world is still there

I'd like to ask you a question:

based on your understanding, what would your OC look like of my OC?

doorcf

« Reply #5170 on: March 21, 2021, 02:40:05 PM »
I'd like to ask you a question:

based on your understanding, what would your OC look like of my OC?
My original oc (Bismarck): surprised at finding another catholic, in many ways both of them couldn't be more different in upbringing and experiences, his curiosity about the old world  would also see Bismarck try to help her in her quest both for information in the old world (and his faith on the side) and to possibly gaining more information for his research about the rash's connection with magic (bismarck doesn't really has any military experience, he would have gotten into an expedition for research reasons)

The RP oc (Alergo): Alergo meanwhile would be surprised seeing someone basically living all alone in the wilderness due to his experiences as a cleanser, while he would still be curious about the catholic faith and about italy after the fall, he would concentrate more on keeping the expedition safe and sound. He would appreciate Asia's survival skills and knowledge of the local area and infected too.

Corvo

• Writer seeking fame.
« Reply #5171 on: March 21, 2021, 02:49:32 PM »
My original oc (Bismarck): surprised at finding another catholic, in many ways both of them couldn't be more different in upbringing and experiences, his curiosity about the old world  would also see Bismarck try to help her in her quest both for information in the old world (and his faith on the side) and to possibly gaining more information for his research about the rash's connection with magic (bismarck doesn't really has any military experience, he would have gotten into an expedition for research reasons)

The RP oc (Alergo): Alergo meanwhile would be surprised seeing someone basically living all alone in the wilderness due to his experiences as a cleanser, while he would still be curious about the catholic faith and about italy after the fall, he would concentrate more on keeping the expedition safe and sound. He would appreciate Asia's survival skills and knowledge of the local area and infected too.

Very interesting. I appreciate them very much indeed.