Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 230003 times)

Caledfwlch

• Super-Newbie
  • Albion
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #765 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:32 AM »
Upper and upper middle class together still combines to a large number of people.  As for leaving the country where would they go?  And how would they have the means to do so?  I think you will find it is a lot more common to own a holiday home than private international transport.

All in all I just don't see Britain surviving.  As I mentioned before the climate is pretty much perfect for those infected by the Rash, we have a  higher population density and a lower proportion of people with military training.

Our population density isn't as high as people tend to think it is.
The southeast skews pretty much every statistic from population density to economic figures to violent crime to rape.

Also when I say the means I don't mean privately owning their own international transport I mean being able to buy passage.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #766 on: June 17, 2015, 10:21:27 AM »
Our population density isn't as high as people tend to think it is.
The southeast skews pretty much every statistic from population density to economic figures to violent crime to rape.

Also when I say the means I don't mean privately owning their own international transport I mean being able to buy passage.

Population density for the Midlands alone is 854 per sq mile.  Not that different from the overall pop. density for England (approx. 1,000 per sq mile).

Most of the nation is able to buy passage abroad, there are very few who cannot afford it.  Hell, I can afford it. (I acknowledge that this is helped by not needing to support anybody else.)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #767 on: June 18, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
I guess it was commonly aggreed that the UK and Ireland would barely stand a chance during the first twenty pages of that thread ;) I wonder which regions we have not discussed yet...
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #768 on: June 18, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »
France is dead. I'm sure. Next country ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #769 on: June 18, 2015, 03:19:12 PM »
I guess it was commonly aggreed that the UK and Ireland would barely stand a chance during the first twenty pages of that thread ;) I wonder which regions we have not discussed yet...

I'm guessing the Inuits haven't yet noticed anything changing :D..... Was a thought, until I remembered seals and whales.  Nevermind that then.

I suppose Tasmania might stand a chance if they acted quickly enough.  Apart from for Australia it is pretty isolated and is also very lightly populated.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #770 on: June 18, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
I suppose Tasmania might stand a chance if they acted quickly enough.  Apart from Australia it is pretty isolated and is also very lightly populated.

But according to OrigamiOwl, it's full of bogans -- which means it *already* has a troll problem...

I wonder if marsupials are Immune, like non-mammals.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #771 on: June 18, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
I'm guessing the Inuits haven't yet noticed anything changing :D..... Was a thought, until I remembered seals and whales.  Nevermind that then.

If the polar bears and the whales take care of each other Inuit could survive on fish pretty well, right?. For a while at least.

Germany was mentioned dead in the earlier discussions as well as the channel isles.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #772 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
France is dead. I'm sure. Next country ?

Actually I had thought there could have been tiny pockets of survivors in the Alps (possibly joining pockets of Italian, Switz and Austrian survivor in a single confederacy; I wanted to write stome stuff about that possible setting but I never got around too), Pyrenees and maybe Massif Central.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Mélusine

« Reply #773 on: June 19, 2015, 04:25:12 AM »
Actually I had thought there could have been tiny pockets of survivors in the Alps (possibly joining pockets of Italian, Switz and Austrian survivor in a single confederacy; I wanted to write stome stuff about that possible setting but I never got around too), Pyrenees and maybe Massif Central.
I was pessimistic on the ability to french people to live together in such conditions, but maybe... The Alps and Pyrenees seems more "sure" than Massif Central, for me.
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #774 on: June 19, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
I was pessimistic on the ability to french people to live together in such conditions, but maybe... The Alps and Pyrenees seems more "sure" than Massif Central, for me.

I can't imagine the French living at all without coffee and cigarettes.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #775 on: June 19, 2015, 05:04:53 PM »

Well people were wondering how the Finnish lived without coffee, and they survived. :D
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Mélusine

« Reply #776 on: June 19, 2015, 06:18:07 PM »
I live very well without coffee and cigarettes.

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #777 on: June 20, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
If the polar bears and the whales take care of each other Inuit could survive on fish pretty well, right?. For a while at least.

I actually doubt that marine mammals could become infected, maybe polar bears would be immune as well.. trolls and water simply don't go very well together, in mythology they're almost as vulnerable to water as they are to steel and iron, hence why waterways are considered 'blessed' in the comic. And if whales were indeed able to be troll-ified, I doubt there would be much in the way of sea travel anymore. Iceland would not be safe, the whales would infect the seals and the safe zone would be in constant danger of being contaminated.

Anyway, my own two cents... almost all of the mainland is dead. Yep. Sorry. It would need some sort of natural protection to keep the trolls out, like Scandinavia and its cold climate. I bet there are survivors in Russia and Canada, maybe volcanic islands or other isolated islands.. but very little else. The only reason why people were able to reclaim Mora, destroy old cities, try to reclaim Copenhagen, and make Finland a bit safer, were because of the trolls hibernating, being sleepy, vulnerable sitting ducks that could be struck first. That sort of luxury is not enjoyed by most of the mainland.

I suspect that parts of the UK might be populated. They have plenty of islands, harsh and cold winters, and a lot of livestock and farmable land. On the other hand, all that overcast weather... hmm....

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #778 on: June 20, 2015, 10:59:34 AM »
I just thought of somewhere that might be doing surprisingly well: Tibet/Chinese highlands. Basically anywhere in the big mountains near Mount Everest. There are towns and villages there that have survived mostly untouched, it's cold or cool at least most of the year, or they can get places that are cold. I also wonder how well trolls do with low oxygen, whereas the humans there are at least somewhat adapted.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #779 on: June 20, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
I actually doubt that marine mammals could become infected
Minna explicitly confirmed that "sea beasts" are a thing, and that there are Norwegian hunter squads going after them. No clear statement which marine mammals are affected, though.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15