Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 230016 times)

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #615 on: May 05, 2015, 10:54:52 PM »
As for "manageable" the rash seemed to be first lethal a lethal strain, and at the moment it is speculated that Trollification (took the liberty to use a totally made up word) mutates sometime between tear 0 and 90.

I'd speculate that the Rash is fatal in more cases than not and trollification happens when someone is almost immune, but not quite.  Otherwise, there'd be a LOT more trolls.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #616 on: May 05, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
So we learned an interesting factoid in the last update.

Trolls don't like crap building, probably because they provide poor protection from the elements.

So I guess large swaths of North America is going to be difficult for the trolls to live in.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #617 on: May 06, 2015, 10:31:42 AM »
I'd speculate that the Rash is fatal in more cases than not and trollification happens when someone is almost immune, but not quite.  Otherwise, there'd be a LOT more trolls.

Well 90 years have passed to thin their ranks.  Accidents, attacks and possibly other diseases could have killed off many of the infected.  Plus many will have merged to form Giants.  As well as this I expect that those few immune that were trapped in what is now the Silent World probably did their best to take as many with them as possible.

Snommelp

« Reply #618 on: May 06, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
So we learned an interesting factoid in the last update.

Trolls don't like crap building, probably because they provide poor protection from the elements.

So I guess large swaths of North America is going to be difficult for the trolls to live in.

Confirmed today, crap buildings are bad for trolls because they don't provide protection from the elements. However, it's doubtful that any part of North America below a certain latitude will get cold enough for that to become a huge issue. I'm feeling too lazy right now to figure out exactly what latitude that would be, but I'd say that anything south of the Mason Dixon line won't have winters cold enough. Mexico and Central America are gone. The northern US and Canada are iffy.
Native speaker :usa:
Learning :sweden: :denmark: :norway: :ireland:
Want to learn :finland: :iceland: :wales: :italy: :brazil:
Know a small amount of :germany: :france: :vaticancity:
Professional(ish) musician and theologian

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #619 on: May 06, 2015, 11:02:47 AM »
Confirmed today, crap buildings are bad for trolls because they don't provide protection from the elements. However, it's doubtful that any part of North America below a certain latitude will get cold enough for that to become a huge issue. I'm feeling too lazy right now to figure out exactly what latitude that would be, but I'd say that anything south of the Mason Dixon line won't have winters cold enough. Mexico and Central America are gone. The northern US and Canada are iffy.

To be honest even if many of the buildings are of questionable quality, there will still be many places sturdy enough to provide protection.  There are of course the modern buildings that are simply better quality but there are also churches, electrical/water stations, older buildings, prisons, hospitals, etc.  Not to mention that the sewers are always a good bet for avoiding the cold in winter and I doubt Trolls are going to be squeamish about it.

Snommelp

« Reply #620 on: May 06, 2015, 11:10:22 AM »
To be honest even if many of the buildings are of questionable quality, there will still be many places sturdy enough to provide protection.  There are of course the modern buildings that are simply better quality but there are also churches, electrical/water stations, older buildings, prisons, hospitals, etc.  Not to mention that the sewers are always a good bet for avoiding the cold in winter and I doubt Trolls are going to be squeamish about it.

Very true. There are a lot of modern and not-so-modern buildings that were built to last, and which would provide adequate protection for trolls even above the latitude where winters would become unbearable. Harvard's campus, as an example, would probably still be almost entirely intact, and be a nice refuge for trolls.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #621 on: May 06, 2015, 11:12:59 AM »
Ah yes, should have added universities to that list, they tend to be of better build quality than normal buildings (or at least parts of them).  I'm sure all those winding corridors and side doors would be fun to clear in the search of forgotten knowledge.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #622 on: May 06, 2015, 02:25:24 PM »
Even if some modern buildings are technically better made than those of the past, many of them lack the qualities that some building of times before central and electrical heating. A lot of modern buildings are complete bogus when it comes to heat retention or cooling since they compensate with more modern technological means.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Snommelp

« Reply #623 on: May 06, 2015, 02:34:08 PM »
Even if some modern buildings are technically better made than those of the past, many of them lack the qualities that some building of times before central and electrical heating. A lot of modern buildings are complete bogus when it comes to heat retention or cooling since they compensate with more modern technological means.

Eh... yes and no. Heating without heat retention costs a lot of money, and people like not having to spend all that money. Fiberglass insulation is relatively inexpensive (especially compared to the long-term cost of having a house with no insulation) and has a lifespan of around 100 years or so under ideal conditions. Though I suppose you could consider fiberglass insulation to be one of those "more modern technological means."

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #624 on: May 06, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »
Harvard's campus, as an example, would probably still be almost entirely intact, and be a nice refuge for trolls.

So it wouldn't change at all in 90 years? ;)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #625 on: May 06, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
Actually on the matter of cold winters, any deserts would be likely to be bad for trolls. I lived in Southern California most of my life out in the Mojave Desert and winter nights could get down to 15 F/-9 C. If they just need freezing cold, deserts even far south would work. If it needs to be colder, or cold during the day as well, then not so much.

Plus a lot of the buildings, at least where I lived, were basically thrown up (crap buildings) and wouldn't last 90 years.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Ankh117

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #626 on: May 07, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
(Little late to the discussion)

I live in Colorado and if I had to think where pockets of survivors would be located, I'd say out east of the Rockies where the plains are located which means plenty of farmland or up into the Rockies as well as the high deserts. Towns like Ouray, Durango, Fort Morgan, and maybe Estes Park, might survive due to the smaller populations, while cities like Denver, Boulder, and Colorado Springs would be screwed (and that's probably including the towns located closest to the cities). Hell South Park might actually grow into a town (it's actually three buildings in reality). However surviving here means having to account for our weather system which can swing a lot. In the spring there can be snow or rain, usually lots more snow, until May where it begins to rain...a lot. Summers are typically sunny until where it can switch to an afternoon thunderstorm. The weather here would give trolls and beasts plenty of time looking for more prey, so it would be a matter of people being really vigilant.

Since we're also a landlocked state, we'd have to rely on the transport of goods which would most likely be a really dangerous job.

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #627 on: May 08, 2015, 04:43:34 AM »
North Sentinel Island might survive.

1. No living human ever set foot in it since a long time (unless you count being chased out of there in 2004 to be a visit [After the tsunami Indian officials went there to see if these guys are still alive. they were.])

2. No living human ever CONSIDERS to go near it, as the locals kill on sight anyone who comes near (and try to shoot down HELICOPTERS that come to extract the corpses!)

(This post is partially a joke.)

Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Amity

• Scout
  • What Would Sigrun Do?
« Reply #628 on: May 08, 2015, 08:49:31 AM »
North Sentinel Island might survive.

1. No living human ever set foot in it since a long time (unless you count being chased out of there in 2004 to be a visit [After the tsunami Indian officials went there to see if these guys are still alive. they were.])

2. No living human ever CONSIDERS to go near it, as the locals kill on sight anyone who comes near (and try to shoot down HELICOPTERS that come to extract the corpses!)

Now see, that's what I'm talking about!
If life hands you Emil, make Emilonade!

LadyRamkin

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #629 on: May 08, 2015, 09:49:25 PM »
I am not sure if I missed this some where, but do Troll migrate? Do beasts? If they do not, and if they only stick to the areas surrounding cities, then there will be much larger pockets of human colonies.