Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 230028 times)

benbah

Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2015, 03:10:22 AM »
I would love to work out how Australia would go.  Eastern seaboard is toast.  But the interior may be ok.  Yes hot but sparsely populated.  How would marsupials go?  They aren't placentals,  more primative.  I think we may have survivor populations.
Aussies, any thoughts?
Knit on

BrainBlow

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »
I still think the northern most island of Japan, Hokkaido, could survive. It has a much lower population and gets cold in the winter. Especially since Japan was one of the first countries to close boarders along with Iceland, and magic has returned. Likely there would be kamikaze (in the literal meaning of divine wind) protecting them from infected from other lands try to get there.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again:
Just imagine the scenario in which a storm sets in when the world infection is peaking, vanquishing or denying any would-be refugee fleets that may carry the rash. Basically a third Kamikaze. Then magic returns.
The Shinto faith would experience an explosive rebirth.

Japan would probably succumb to the rash eventually in any case. It's geographically a huge country, and most of it quite warm as well. You just need that one beached beast whale.
And with the almost inevitable collapse of its current central government due to famine, there wouldn't be anyone capable of mounting any sort of swift response.
Even with surviving civilization in Northern-Japan, those would be some extremely brutal first years, with or without the rash.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 08:37:29 AM by BrainBlow »

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Balthazar

« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2015, 09:36:48 AM »
I've said it before, but I'll say it again:
Just imagine the scenario in which a storm sets in when the world infection is peaking, vanquishing or denying any would-be refugee fleets that may carry the rash. Basically a third Kamikaze. Then magic returns.
The Shinto faith would experience an explosive rebirth.

Japan would probably succumb to the rash eventually in any case. It's geographically a huge country, and most of it quite warm as well. You just need that one beached beast whale.
And with the almost inevitable collapse of its current central government due to famine, there wouldn't be anyone capable of mounting any sort of swift response.
Even with surviving civilization in Northern-Japan, those would be some extremely brutal first years, with or without the rash.

Japan would still definitely succumb to the rash. However, so did Sweden, Finland and Denmark, and yet they are still struggling for survival. Therefore, there is a chance of pockets of survivors.

Shintoism in particular is all about purification and pleasing to gods, if magic comes back to the world it would not surprise me that they would have magic wards in place to keep trolls and Giants at bay.

However, if Hokkaido is the main place that the survivors are, then it is also very possible that Ainu (indigenous people of Hokkaido) culture is mainly practiced by the survivors and not the culture of the mainland. While Ainu religion is similar to Shinto practices is still slightly different. 

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #558 on: April 26, 2015, 11:32:14 AM »
Japan would still definitely succumb to the rash. However, so did Sweden, Finland and Denmark, and yet they are still struggling for survival. Therefore, there is a chance of pockets of survivors.

Shintoism in particular is all about purification and pleasing to gods, if magic comes back to the world it would not surprise me that they would have magic wards in place to keep trolls and Giants at bay.

However, if Hokkaido is the main place that the survivors are, then it is also very possible that Ainu (indigenous people of Hokkaido) culture is mainly practiced by the survivors and not the culture of the mainland. While Ainu religion is similar to Shinto practices is still slightly different.

Yeah, I'm not saying Japan as a whole would still be ok, and the culture would probably go through some major changes. Plus, maybe Shinto would have a similar role to the Norse gods in The Known World, while Ainu customs would be more like Finnish paganism? They would have some areas of intersect, but mostly would work in different ways and regarding different aspects.

Maybe I just want there to be suzu bells that are used to lure monsters away from villages, or to places where they could be easily killed by Shinto priest(esse)s and monster hunters. Traditionally, suzu bells are used to protect from evil spirits or warn the carrier to the presence of evil, but if stand still and stay silent is the law of the land, they might be better as a distraction.
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

MG

« Reply #559 on: April 26, 2015, 04:04:02 PM »
I assume that most of the pacific Islands would be relatively clean.
The local people are famously tough, the climate is surprisingly harsh, and there are very few large population centers. I can imagine the old Polynesian gods would have a sudden abundance of faithful worshipers shortly after the Rash plague starts. Besides, the Norse survivors prove it doesn't take much water to act as an effective barrier. In this case, they would have the entire Pacific ocean.

ruth

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • pining for the fjords
« Reply #560 on: April 27, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
people talking about japan? sounds like it's time to plug my drawing of post-rash japan again! :D
Principal mouthnoises: :spain: :uk: :norway:

princeofdoom

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: he or they
« Reply #561 on: April 27, 2015, 12:19:19 PM »
people talking about japan? sounds like it's time to plug my drawing of post-rash japan again! :D

I THOUGHT that was Hokkaido too. :D
Native :usa:
Rusty (and other issues) :japan: :france:
Learning :russia:
Starting :finland:

Snommelp

« Reply #562 on: April 27, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »
I would love to work out how Australia would go.  Eastern seaboard is toast.  But the interior may be ok.  Yes hot but sparsely populated.  How would marsupials go?  They aren't placentals,  more primative.  I think we may have survivor populations.
Aussies, any thoughts?

I'm not from Oz, but even so, I lay good odds on infected creatures (trolls and beasts) having a hard time getting a foothold there. So many of Australia's dangerous animals aren't mammals - crocodiles, the inland taipan and other absurdly venomous snakes, funnel-web spiders... of course, a lot of how Australia goes would depend on how infected creatures react to venom.

Also, drop bears become a real thing, because of infected koalas.
Native speaker :usa:
Learning :sweden: :denmark: :norway: :ireland:
Want to learn :finland: :iceland: :wales: :italy: :brazil:
Know a small amount of :germany: :france: :vaticancity:
Professional(ish) musician and theologian

Daéa Reina

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • well, I'm trying
« Reply #563 on: April 27, 2015, 06:34:34 PM »

INFECTED KOALAS O_____O

There's so much nightmare stuff in this thread.

I love it! :)
I've been thinking about drawing some post-rash Brazil or something (there wouldn't be much left, but still...).
native :brazil:  |  decent :usa: :spain:  |  wants to learn :germany: :finland: :france:

I'm a survivor: :artd: :book1+: (-1) :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

"There's no better place on earth than the road that leads to Heaven."

Balthazar

« Reply #564 on: April 28, 2015, 09:28:04 AM »
I'm not from Oz, but even so, I lay good odds on infected creatures (trolls and beasts) having a hard time getting a foothold there. So many of Australia's dangerous animals aren't mammals - crocodiles, the inland taipan and other absurdly venomous snakes, funnel-web spiders... of course, a lot of how Australia goes would depend on how infected creatures react to venom.

I feel like if anyone can handle the apocalypse, it's the Aussies. I mean, snakes, crocodiles, giant spiders, almost everything that moves on that contenent wants to kill them already and they seem to be doing fine.

BreezeLouise

« Reply #565 on: April 28, 2015, 01:21:07 PM »
I feel like if anyone can handle the apocalypse, it's the Aussies. I mean, snakes, crocodiles, giant spiders, almost everything that moves on that continent wants to kill them already and they seem to be doing fine.

True. They just add a couple more items to the list and move on with their lives. xD
Life is a state of mind.

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #566 on: April 28, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
Realism wise: Oz can survive, yup.

Drama/awesome/funny wise: Oz can become a mad max style wasteland becuase any single apocalyptic or semi apocalyptic or just a slight disrepcency of their lives turns that place into a gang riddled wilderness.
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Snommelp

« Reply #567 on: April 28, 2015, 07:46:02 PM »
Realism wise: Oz can survive, yup.

Drama/awesome/funny wise: Oz can become a mad max style wasteland becuase any single apocalyptic or semi apocalyptic or just a slight disrepcency of their lives turns that place into a gang riddled wilderness.

...oh man, I think you're on to something. What if Mad Max and Stand Still, Stay Silent take place in the same post-apocalyptic universe? If I'm remembering right, Mad Max's Australia is falling apart due to oil shortages... but what if the reason Australia can't get oil is because the rest of the world has fallen to the Illness?
Native speaker :usa:
Learning :sweden: :denmark: :norway: :ireland:
Want to learn :finland: :iceland: :wales: :italy: :brazil:
Know a small amount of :germany: :france: :vaticancity:
Professional(ish) musician and theologian

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #568 on: April 28, 2015, 11:04:53 PM »
We really need to make a huge collaborative project of what happened in other parts of the world at some point.

Because I'd read that.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #569 on: April 29, 2015, 04:55:08 AM »
Eh. I think some section of China might endure. The mega-metropolitan areas of the south are megascrewed, but the mountains and more harsh climates of the north and west provides some interesting opportunities.

I think you have a point here.  The northern deserts are rather inhospitable, isolated settlements may be able to survive provided they have the resources to provide for themselves.

Dramatic irony tends to be savage to those kinds of people and that kind of scenario.

But dramatic irony results from the need to create interesting stories rather than realism.  Nobody wants to read/watch a story about a group of people hiding in a bunker that functions well, it would be boring.

As for the people talking about Australia.  I think internet culture has got you a bit too worked up about how lethal the place is.  Keep in mind that people were living there quite comfortably for thousands of years before modern medicine and housing.  Sure there are a fair few scary creatures there, but no more than Africa or South America.