Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 230028 times)

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #1065 on: September 21, 2016, 06:46:56 PM »
Yes.. why wouldn't it be alright to post on ao3?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Mayabird

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1066 on: September 22, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »
No idea; that's why I asked.  I'll start posting these over shortly, but first, one more.  Let's meet the current Pope!

The Tale of the Cats and the Possum

The nervous young priest hovered for a moment at the door of the sixth Pope-in-Exile before he knocked.  “Your, your Holiness, sir, it's M-Mark.  Do you have a moment, sir?”   

“I do.  Enter, Brother Mark.”  The priest entered, and Pope Luther was already gesturing at a chair.  “Please, sit.  How are you and your wife settling in?”

“Oh, oh we-we're fine, sir” he stammered.   “I mean, we've been h-here a few months, uh...and Lee's seeing the, the midwife, and the baby should be, uh, due in a month, and, your Holiness, uh...”

“Some tea?” Pope Luther had his hand on a kettle.  “It has cooled a bit but should still be a little warm.”  Brother Mark sputtered a bit, unable to figure out if it was more polite to say yes or no (having the Pope pour him tea!) so Luther went ahead and poured a cup, and pushed it to the priest.  “Please, drink.”   Mark did; it was indeed lukewarm, but still smelled of the dried herbs it was made from. 

“Brother Mark, please calm down.  You don't need to be awed by me all the time.  Leave the formalities for ceremonies.  Maybe your child will be a playmate with my newest granddaughter.”  He sipped his tea.  “What did you need to speak about?”

“I hope it's not a waste of your time, sir.”  Mark drank some more tea and took a breath. 
 “It's, it's sort of theological.  Something the children are saying.” 

One of the Pope's eyebrows lifted slightly.  “What is it?”

“This-maybe it's too silly.  But the children were telling a story to each other.  That in the Garden of Eden, Jesus came to give them all a warning and a blessing, but it took so long and the animals didn't understand so when Jesus got to the furry animals, most of 'em and Adam and Eve had wandered off.  Only the cats all curled up to listen, and Mr. Possum was so scared that he passed out.  And that's why only they got fully Blessed.”

The Pope thought a moment, then nodded.  “I think I remember that.  Something about the Lord laughing with the possum so the fainting would protect him.” 

“Yes, your Holiness, and it's not theologically sound, and I told the children but Sister Madi-”

The Pope did not sigh or give a sign of his thoughts, which were, Mark, not this sort of thing again.  “Did you have possums in Canada?”

“We, we knew about possums.”

“They are weird, silly creatures who strangely don't get the Plague, so there is a weird, silly story why.  Brother Mark, it is a children's story, told by children to other children, forgotten when they go to their apprenticeships or back to their farms.  I heard it as a boy but had forgotten it until you mentioned it now.” 

“Sir, but it's not a proper Christian story.”

Please don't make me have to explain Ojibwe spirits and angels again.“No, but it's harmless.  I assume Sister Madi told you, we don't have the time or manpower to worry about these sorts of trivial things.”

“She did.”  Brother Mark looked deflated.

The Pope put a hand on the priest's shoulder.  “Brother Mark, I understand your concern, but you must look to greater things.  Humanity barely survives on our lakes, by the grace of God and the skin of our teeth.  Our thoughts must be towards survival.  Perhaps, if we can clean more areas, double our population, get some more breathing room, make contact with the east, we can worry about nitpicky details like this.  You are young; maybe you will see that day, if it still bothers you.”  He rose, and moved towards the door to show the priest out. 

Brother Mark rose.  “Thank you, your Holiness, for hearing me.”

“You're welcome, Brother Mark.  God bless you and your family.”  And I need to work on these dangerous doctrinaires.

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #1067 on: September 22, 2016, 08:44:13 PM »
I'm currently working on a map of eastern Canada and New England for an SSSS RP I'm running on another site.

There is a shocking gap between the amount of rail in New England and the amount of maps thereof, with a disproportionate favoring of the former.
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

Yeiii

« Reply #1068 on: October 25, 2016, 10:58:42 PM »
I just saw this thread, and I don't know if anybody have mentioned my country so here I go:
First thing first, I'm wondering whether the heat and radiation would be as fatal for the grosslings than extreme cold, or would it make them stronger?
Because in the first case, There are a few very isolated towns here in Chile, way up in the Andes Mountains and surrounded by the Atacama desert, that would make an excellent refuge if properly protected. Like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putre

The only con would be the energy sources and, of course, the earthquakes. But that is always a problem in Chile.

And in the other end of the country, in the extreme south, the land is literally made by thousand little islands that could be easily isolated. Problem is that I don't know if chileans would react as quickly as Iceland, we tend to panic in this sort of things, so the amount of population who would actually get to the safety zones would be very low.
Here is a map of Magallanes and it's convenient Troll proof geography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magallanes_Region

As for my city, Santiago, we are screwed :'(. As any other major city, It's the worst place to be in an apocalipse, 6 million people stuffed together in a valley, with the perfect wheather (I never thought I'll be complaining about that) and almost nowhere to run and no means to isolate ourself... So yeah, goodbye.

Anyway, tell me what you think, I'm not, by any means, a survival expert so I'm just speculating out of my non existent experience, but it's a fun exercise to make!
Native :chile:
Fluent :uk:

Chapter joined :chap11:
Chapter break survivor :chap12: :chap13:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1069 on: October 26, 2016, 03:34:31 AM »
The Atacama and the mountains could be very good protection. Power might need to be wind and solar. The temperature range might be a defence in itself. You'd likely have more trouble from small burrowing vermin beasts than big stuff.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yeiii

« Reply #1070 on: October 26, 2016, 09:41:07 AM »
The Atacama and the mountains could be very good protection. Power might need to be wind and solar. The temperature range might be a defence in itself. You'd likely have more trouble from small burrowing vermin beasts than big stuff.

That's true, besides, apart from Llamas, and a few Cougars, there isn't really any big mamal that could pose a threat in there... We do have Condors (enourmous two meter's long bird of prey)... But I've never seen a flying troll, there can't be, can they???

I forgot to mention, the desert community and the Magallanes one are so far apart that they'll most probably become two different nations entirely. They probably won't even know of each other existence.
The northern people will probably return to a lot of their indigenous traditions and beliefs, but the southerners will not, because that far down the natives were completely wiped out of the map when the Spanish arrived, together with their traditions and culture, so I think they'll carry on with the christian traditions

Róisín

« Reply #1071 on: October 26, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »
Yes, I know condors, beautiful creatures. I think all birds are immune. I wonder if condors could be tamed and make an alliance with humans as cats have done in the SSSS world? And doesn't the southern part of South America have those tiny cats that eat moths? Geoffroy's Cat? And that lovely silver-furred Andean Cat.

I don't think trolls can fly....yet.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1072 on: October 26, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
That's true, besides, apart from Llamas, and a few Cougars, there isn't really any big mamal that could pose a threat in there... We do have Condors (enourmous two meter's long bird of prey)... But I've never seen a flying troll, there can't be, can they???

Word of Minna is that the Illness only affects mammals.  Also Word of Minna is that the effects of the Illness leaves bats unable to fly, so there are no Rash-Bats out there.

On the other hand, given the extreme changes to both human and animal physiology under the Illness, I don't see why there couldn't be a flying troll or beast somewhere.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1073 on: October 26, 2016, 12:07:35 PM »
Yes, I know condors, beautiful creatures. I think all birds are immune. I wonder if condors could be tamed and make an alliance with humans as cats have done in the SSSS world? And doesn't the southern part of South America have those tiny cats that eat moths? Geoffroy's Cat? And that lovely silver-furred Andean Cat.

Oooo, tame condors! What a cool idea!
To be honest, I'm surprised that there isn't anything in the canon about birds being used strategically - especially birds of prey. Could be useful for worldbuilding in areas where small cats are in short supply.

As for the matter of bats, I suppose it depends on whether one considers extra-textual stuff to be canon. (Some people don't.)
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1074 on: October 26, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »
As for the matter of bats, I suppose it depends on whether one considers extra-textual stuff to be canon. (Some people don't.)

I think it was something Minna said in the comments -- I'll have to check the thread to see if someone captured that.

I consider anything Minna says to be canon :)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #1075 on: October 26, 2016, 12:46:31 PM »
I think it was something Minna said in the comments -- I'll have to check the thread to see if someone captured that.

I consider anything Minna says to be canon :)

I'd be interested in reading it. Too lazy to look myself, of course. ;p

I consider stuff that isn't on the actual pages to be "use or ignore depending on taste". Especially since we now have a print version where none of the commentary is included.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Yeiii

« Reply #1076 on: October 26, 2016, 08:18:10 PM »

I don't think trolls can fly....yet.

Alliance with condors? That'll be awesome!
And yes we do have those very cute mountain cats that would be very useful if you manage to tame one.
Also, I wonder if the cougars, been relatives to cats, are inmune or not... Hmmm *put on thinking face.

Anna

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • A majestic circle cat
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #1077 on: October 26, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »
They probably would be, being felines.
:chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:
:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
:book2::book3::book4:

And remember what peace there may be in silence.

Róisín

« Reply #1078 on: October 26, 2016, 08:22:02 PM »
Minna did say that Rashed bats were too deformed to fly, I think as part of a discussion on the Keuruu and Mora fortifications in the comments. Mind you, I'm waiting to see some troll or beast rediscover gliding membranes - Leaftroll looked like a step in that direction. And, Yeii, Minna has also said that yes, the big cats are immune.

Yeiii

« Reply #1079 on: October 26, 2016, 08:31:16 PM »
Minna did say that Rashed bats were too deformed to fly, I think as part of a discussion on the Keuruu and Mora fortifications in the comments. Mind you, I'm waiting to see some troll or beast rediscover gliding membranes - Leaftroll looked like a step in that direction. And, Yeii, Minna has also said that yes, the big cats are immune.

Nice! So we can tame condors AND cougars to help us against the trolls (I think fox-trolls would be tricky)... That's it, I'm moving  to the Puna of Atacama... As soon as I overcome the altitude thickness