Poll

What do you think the state of things is beyond Scandinavia?

More of the Silent World: Trolls, beasts and giants everywhere
7 (16.7%)
A few groups of humans, but mostly wilderness
14 (33.3%)
USA and other superpowers are relatively intact
0 (0%)
Scorched Earth: nothing, not even grosslings, is alive
0 (0%)
Plenty of places like Scandinavia, but isolated
21 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: July 03, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

Author Topic: Survivor communities outside the known world  (Read 227566 times)

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
Re: Survivor communities outside the known world
« Reply #1275 on: January 01, 2023, 03:14:02 PM »
They have the food stores, the self-reliance, and the building ability -- but the attitude towards contagious diseases, at least among the local-to-me Old Order Mennonites, is "God will protect his Church". Both accidental and disease-caused deaths and injuries are taken as being God's will. Vaccination rates are very low and masking was only practiced when legally required and often not then unless strongly enforced by authorities outside the church.

How they would react to the appearance of what appears to be in effect actual demons I don't know. But I very much doubt that any effective reaction would be fast enough -- unless, of course, in that universe their version of God actually spoke to them, before it was too late, to warn them and tell them what to do.

They'd definitely have the rash illness spread through the community.  It might have a delay reaching them just because they're insular to outsiders, but it would get there. Maybe enough of a delay to know about trolls and prepare, except it raises the question of what would be believed.

It doesn't seem like following the professional advice made a difference in the rash illness because it hit so hard and heavy - and trusting vaccines screwed over the Danes in y0.

I believe they're good with guns for hunting and protecting livestock, and most farm equipment can be used to effectively kill, so between that and fences should be able to defend against trolls. 

Trolls from the outside would likely be easy enough to address, but yes there would certainly be despair when their own people change.

I don't know if or how long it would take them to do mercy killings of people who get the rash illness. Or what their views are of suicide if people would do like Tuuri did.

It seems like a lot of the problems that scandinavia faced wasn't just losing people to the illness - but losing their resources and having to cobble everything together after fleeing the cities.

I don't think amish communes are typically populated enough to need to flee, and once the initial waves were survived they'd be able to get back on their feet faster than their modern contemporaries.

lwise

• Scout
« Reply #1276 on: January 01, 2023, 03:49:11 PM »
One thing I've read about Mormons is that they like to have a supply of food -- supposedly a year's supply for the family.  If many families do keep such a supply, and 99% of the population dies or trollifies, the survivors would have more food than they could eat before it spoiled, even if the food had a 25-year shelf-life, which I've read that many emergency foods do.  So it seems to me that the survivors could round up any immune livestock and work on building up herds and flocks for decades before they actually had to eat any of the livestock.  Their population could be very well established by the time the stored food ran out.

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #1277 on: January 01, 2023, 06:13:20 PM »
The communities I'm aware of here aren't anywhere near insular enough to be protected; because although their personal lives may be mostly separated, their commercial lives interwork a great deal with the wider community -- they operate stores that are open to and significantly used by the general public, they do some shopping in ordinary chain and non-Plain local stores, they go to the public library, they sell at farmers' markets that also have non-Plain vendors, etc.

Bear in mind that it only took one infected person, in canon, to infect all or nearly all the non-immunes on several islands -- and to do so before anyone was showing significant symptoms. So all you need is one infected store clerk who then goes to Sunday meeting; or a wedding or funeral, which can draw from multiple states.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #1278 on: January 01, 2023, 06:41:36 PM »
Not to forget vermin beasts and other animals.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1279 on: January 12, 2023, 07:38:49 PM »
Not to forget vermin beasts and other animals.

Yeah, rats can swim, suprisingly large distances. 
Human trolls seem to have endless mutational abilities and many would retain their ability to swim even if they weren't a sjødraug per se.  So they are big enough to get caught out by the picket reef systems we saw in the Saimaa flashback, but unfortunately many still have use of their thumbs.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

dreki

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Preferred pronouns: He/they
« Reply #1280 on: January 13, 2023, 03:34:25 AM »
Yeah, rats can swim, suprisingly large distances. 
Human trolls seem to have endless mutational abilities and many would retain their ability to swim even if they weren't a sjødraug per se.  So they are big enough to get caught out by the picket reef systems we saw in the Saimaa flashback, but unfortunately many still have use of their thumbs.

Oh god. I just realized.

Raccoon trolls

Nothing in north america survived. Nothing at all.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #1281 on: January 13, 2023, 04:52:46 AM »
Brings to mind that fic of Wavewright’s: ‘Thanksgiving at the last curry house in New Jersey’, in which a group of young men raiding a department store for tools and bedding encounter a beastified skunk, which as well as teeth and claws retains the ability to spray…….
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #1282 on: January 13, 2023, 10:08:36 AM »
Oh god. I just realized.

Raccoon trolls

Nothing in north america survived. Nothing at all.

I have the seeds of something in my head that involves (with the aid of local gods) the reappearance of bobcats and The Cat of Many Names (one of which is mountain lion).

-- bobcats definitely exist in this area, though they're not common. Cat of Many Names is reputed and rumored to still survive here, though officially denied.

dmeck7755

« Reply #1283 on: January 13, 2023, 10:13:56 AM »
I have the seeds of something in my head that involves (with the aid of local gods) the reappearance of bobcats and The Cat of Many Names (one of which is mountain lion).

-- bobcats definitely exist in this area, though they're not common. Cat of Many Names is reputed and rumored to still survive here, though officially denied.

Both are making a comeback (Though very slowly)  A few neighbors have webcams of bobcats running in their yards. 

Plus the Felines are Blessed!!

I never thought of cougars as The Cat of Many Names, but so true!!
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1284 on: January 13, 2023, 10:25:18 AM »
a beastified skunk, which as well as teeth and claws retains the ability to spray…….
Minna stated that bats etc. cannot fly when rashed due to the deformities throwing their wing-generated lift out of balance.
Rocket propulsion may be a different beast ... ;)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #1285 on: January 13, 2023, 12:07:00 PM »
Minna stated that bats etc. cannot fly when rashed due to the deformities throwing their wing-generated lift out of balance.
Rocket propulsion may be a different beast ... ;)

I concur. There are many adjectives that could be used for a skunk-beast able to propel itself up into the air. It’s quite possible that a person witnessing it might utter a ”Well, that’s different.”

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1286 on: January 13, 2023, 05:34:34 PM »
Dare we descend into discourse over the lift/force generated by gaseous emissions of various beasts?
(ignoring that IRL the skunk scent gland emission does not have a lot of force associated with it)
Eventually we will get to the crucial, nay, critical question:
Spoiler: show
African or European?

also, hey thanks for the shout-out!

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #1287 on: January 13, 2023, 06:01:57 PM »
Dare we descend into discourse over the lift/force generated by gaseous emissions of various beasts?
(ignoring that IRL the skunk scent gland emission does not have a lot of force associated with it)
There are ... possibilities. :P
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #1288 on: January 13, 2023, 07:53:54 PM »
Wave, this is indeed the question.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1289 on: January 14, 2023, 01:02:57 AM »
There are ... possibilities. :P

This isn't the video snippet I was looking for, but yup, they drop those beetles like the literal hot potato they are...