Author Topic: Duolingo discussion/friend exchange  (Read 35577 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Duolingo discussion/friend exchange
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2015, 10:45:39 AM »
Priorities, JoB, priorities.
That'ld be le p'tit rouge, then. ;D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
As opposed to proper accents (première, deuxième, troisième bière) and genders (la bière est chaude/froide), apparently. :P

ah they do. I fail to remember
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
ah they do. I fail to remember

Hey, I stopped at least five minutes to think "Wait, was it wann? Or wenn? Wann... no wenn... no wann..." before I just went along with one and thought that you'd correct me if I was wrong.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
Hey, I stopped at least five minutes to think "Wait, was it wann? Or wenn? Wann... no wenn... no wann..." before I just went along with one and thought that you'd correct me if I was wrong.
"Wann" if you're asking "when?", "wenn" if you're referring to a time or condition.

"Wann fährt der Zug ab?" (When will the train leave?)
"Wenn alle eingestiegen sind." (When everyone's aboard.)

P.S.: Sorry, forgot one exception: "Whenever" translates to "wann (auch) immer".
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:42:05 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2015, 10:25:07 AM »
I'm Auleliel on Duolingo (for Swedish, plus brushing up on my Spanish/German and fooling around with some of the other languages available there) and memrise (for Finnish only, so far--I didn't know about memrise until reading this thread), and I'm Michelle W. on Livemocha (for Japanese and Finnish). Anyone here is welcome to add me for any of those sites or pm me to practice/discuss those languages.
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

TwistySticks

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 05:32:28 AM »
My name on Duolingo and Memrise are ChelseaRem.

I'm doing Swedish and Spanish (to keep up on the basics from high school up heh) on Duolingo and Swedish and Japanese on Memrise.

^Auleliel - what? There are Finnish courses on memrise?! *tries to resist intense urge to start one* Is the add suffixes to convey meaning causing you any trouble?

I know it does for me in Japanese like with 'ikitaidesu' - want to go, saying go-want-is feels very alien to me. I stumped my teacher with that one by saying  "so is 'iki-' the to go form of the verb?", he was like "uuhh, yeah, no... sorta, ummm". Looking back, I shouldn't have done that really, he was the same age as me with no formal teaching experience, I feel a bit cruel.
Native -  :uk:
Learning - :japan: :sweden: :vaticancity:

Auleliel

• Ranger
  • Ninja Squirrel Trainer
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 10:17:19 AM »
^Auleliel - what? There are Finnish courses on memrise?! *tries to resist intense urge to start one* Is the add suffixes to convey meaning causing you any trouble?

I know it does for me in Japanese like with 'ikitaidesu' - want to go, saying go-want-is feels very alien to me. I stumped my teacher with that one by saying  "so is 'iki-' the to go form of the verb?", he was like "uuhh, yeah, no... sorta, ummm". Looking back, I shouldn't have done that really, he was the same age as me with no formal teaching experience, I feel a bit cruel.
Yep, there are Finnish courses on memrise--that's why I joined memrise in the first place!
I'm not bothered by suffixes, it's much better than having to learn a gazillion rules for word order. Also, many languages I've tried or that I'm interested in use suffixes of some sort, including the languages I'm trying to create.
Have you started learning how to say "like to do..." in Japanese yet? It's a particularly complicated construction, compared to English... :)
Know: :usa:
Learning: :japan: :sweden: :finland: :wales:
Somewhat forgot: :mexico: :germany: :southkorea:

:hat: :betterhat:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
Yep, there are Finnish courses on memrise--that's why I joined memrise in the first place!
I'm not bothered by suffixes, it's much better than having to learn a gazillion rules for word order. Also, many languages I've tried or that I'm interested in use suffixes of some sort, including the languages I'm trying to create.
Have you started learning how to say "like to do..." in Japanese yet? It's a particularly complicated construction, compared to English... :)

at some stage you will have to pay attention to suffix order though AND wordorder. At least if finish is as close to Turkish as some people tell :D

Annnnd the turkish course on duolingo is on the brink of being published, the contributors are waiting for the okay *jumpsupanddown*

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:51 AM »
And update:

They never notified me as promised BUT:

Turkish is available and I was able to test myself out of on skill :D

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Meghan

• Gorgeous hair in the backwoods of the apocalypse
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2015, 03:03:06 PM »
Ooo, friend exchange! My username is MeghanJames

I made some progress with Italian, but I've just decided to pause that for a while and switch to Spanish instead. I studied Spanish for YEARS in school, off and on. While those classes never really helped, I still learned something. Also, Spanish was common to hear in my hometown, so that may the language which is easiest for me to learn first.

Then, I plan to continue with Italian (my family's heritage), and then Esperato and Swedish in the future.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:31:57 AM by Meghan »
Fluent: :usa:
Currently Learning: :norway: :spain: :italy: and Esperanto
Someday: :finland: :iceland: :france: :russia:

Peraphelion

• Imaginary friend
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »
Well, thanks to seeing all you guys around here learning languages like it's no big deal, I've decided to take the plunge and start up on Duolingo. I was planning on making Finnish my main focus, but they don't have it so I'm doing Irish, which is just as cool. Then I saw the mentions of Memrise, so I think I'll go over there and learn Finnish. And then I told my local friend that we can be study buddies in Japanese if she wants... I may start that up on Memrise as well. (Jap has been my main desire for about 7 years) :D I'm really excited. If anyone wants to follow me on Duolingo, which would help keep me motivated, I'm under the same username. (I've already begun stalking a few of you, mainly those who've listed Irish)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams, Wandering by lone sea-breakers, And sitting by desolate streams

Fluent :usa:
Learning :ireland: :finland: :japan:
Mostly forgotten :mexico:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 06:41:35 PM »
Ann_Marie on memrise, learning Finnish
AnnMarieS4 on duolingo, learning German
Ann Marie M on livemocha, learning both I think. 

Now let me look how to add people!

ETA added everyone I could find on duolingo, don't see an obvious way to do it on memrise or livemocha.  Will check again when I have more time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:59:05 PM by Ann Marie »
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Ammerynth

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 07:37:26 PM »
Oh, I'm using Duolingo for Swedish and French! My username is Ammerynth there too, and on memrise as well I think but i don't use it much.
But uh, I'm a bit shy about adding anyone >.> I'm not exactly the most active poster on this forum...
Native: :uk:
Learning: :france: :sweden:
Survivor: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:

Synthpopalooza

« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:23 PM »
:sweden: Jag är Synthpopalooza på Duolingo
:mexico:  Soy Synthpopalooza en Duolingo
:usa: I am Synthpopalooza on Duolingo.

Currently learning Swedish, and brushing up on my Spanish.  Once I am more confident, I will try German, and Polish as soon as it becomes available.
Native language:  :usa:
Hablo un poquito:  :mexico:
Jag försöker lära: :sweden:
Chce, sie, nauczyc': :poland:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2015, 06:51:47 PM »
Hehe, I introduced my sister to Duolingo. She started "playing" at around 9pm. It's 1am and she's still on that.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: