Author Topic: TV and Movie Thread  (Read 32762 times)

Hrollo

• Ranger
TV and Movie Thread
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:22:28 PM »
So, caricaturing, the great classic director of Sweden is Ingmar Bergman, and the great classic director of Denmark is Carl Theodor Dreyer.

But who are the equivalent for Norway, Finland and Iceland, I'm currious?
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: TV and Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:14:52 PM »
So, caricaturing, the great classic director of Sweden is Ingmar Bergman, and the great classic director of Denmark is Carl Theodor Dreyer.

But who are the equivalent for Norway, Finland and Iceland, I'm currious?

Could list some films, please? Asking google/ecosia never brings as good results as someone who has seen the movies.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:54:57 AM »
Well, Bergman is known for films like The Seventh Seal, The Virgin Spring, Wild Strawberries, Persona, Cries and Whispers or From the Life of the Marionettes (that's just a sample, he directed more than 40 films). Several of his early films star Max von Sydow in major or minor roles.

He's often seen as a very artsy and intellectual director, partly because of the existentialist themes that permeate most of his movies, but in fact a movie like The Seventh Seal is short, entertaining, and was never envisaged as high art when it was directed. In any case, he's considered a very influential director, and got numerous praised by directors as diverse as Scorcese, Coppola, Woody Allen, Kubrick, Almodovar, Tarkovsky or Spielberg.

Carl Theodor Dreyer was less prolific, directing only 14 films, often in countries other than Denmark, and mostly in the silent era —but he did make a few sound films that are often highly regarded among film-buffs, notably Vampyr and The Word/Ordet.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 06:22:04 AM »
For Finland it could be Aki Kaurismäki. He is quite legendary as a maker of melancholy films about marginalised people and also as an auteur, meaning that he makes the script, directs, produces and often even cuts his films mostly by himself. His best known film is probably Mies vailla menneisyyttä, A man Without a Past.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:00:38 AM »
Side-note: by "classic" I kind of imply "old/black and white" but that said there's no reason not talk about more recent directors in this thread either.

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
Ok, sorry. "Classic" can be understood in so many ways, for example the Disney movies seem to be "classics" by definition.

I guess Valentin Vaala could be called a "classic" if it's defined as "old" combined with "well known and appreciated". He directed over 40 films between the 20's and 60's and was considered rather modern, at least in the beginning of his career.

But Kaurismäki is actually the real "classic" if it's defined as who is seen as a kind of embodiment of Finnish film. There's even an adjective, "kaurismäkeläinen", kaurismäki-ish, which can be used to describe something stern, ascetic and grim.

Edit: I asked my mother's opinion on this and she said that well yes, Vaala was quite well known, but he made mostly light and funny stuff. If we are talking about people of the same calibre as Ingmar Bergman, then the Finnish equivalent would be Nyrki Tapiovaara.

Now I had never even heard of Tapiovaara, but it seems my mother is right. Tapiovaara's career was short, he died aged only 29 (WWII took it's toll), but according to web resouces he is still seen as one of the best Finnish directors. He only had time for five movies during his life and the last one was left unfinished, but it seems many stylized parts of his movie Varastettu kuolema (Stolen Death) are officially considered "classics of the Finnish movie history".

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:32:57 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
Thank you for your answer!

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 04:42:42 PM »
I just found a short biography of Tapiovaara in English. It can be read here.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2014, 06:58:00 PM »
We've needed this thread for a while.
If you have anything in particular that you want to say about a show or a movie, there's now a super-sparkly-shiny new place to do it!  *Gestures to general surrounding area*

I've been watching Arrow all day with my mom.  We watched season 1 last year, but season 2 is turning her into a casual comic book geek.  She's actually been reading the DC wiki between episodes!  I'm so proud of her.
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »
Hmmm, so it is not The general Discussion Thread where the mystery of Mikkel Madsen and Mads Mikkelsen should be solved? ;).

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 07:07:52 PM »
Hmmm, so it is not The general Discussion Thread where the mystery of Mikkel Madsen and Mads Mikkelsen should be solved? ;).
I'm not sure.  *Appears innocent*
Also, I was typing that post over the last two or three hours, between episodes of Arrow, so I didn't realize y'all were talking about movies over there!  XD  *Continues appearing innocent*
Feel free to PM.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »
I'm not sure.  *Appears innocent*
Also, I was typing that post over the last two or three hours, between episodes of Arrow, so I didn't realize y'all were talking about movies over there!  XD  *Continues appearing innocent*

I have never watched arrow, because I had no access to original audio track. Last series featering real people was "Supernatural", I think. Though after the third season I felt like I did with Dr. House. After that many episodes storylines seem to turn out repetitive in a way.

So what is arrow about and why is it catching?

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 07:28:23 PM »
I've barely been watching tv shows lately :( but if they're on, I'll usually watch these:
(Don't judge meeeeeeee)
- AtLA when it was on, nearly a decade ago ;__;
- Midsummer Murders
- Poirot
- Miss Marple
- Jonathan Creek

- Dr Who, more out of tradition than enjoyment lately
- Sherlock (I only really like the Hound one because of the moors shhh)
- Landline U////U because I'm a dork
- Mythbusters
- very rarely Supernatural, I got tired after the first few seasons
- Ancient History/Location documentaries
- Horrible Histories with my sister
- Getaway
- News
- Gravity Falls (via internet because it doesn't air here)
- Friends. Maybe. Will it never stop being rerun?!?!

They were advertising Arrow hammer and tongs last year, and then when it finally aired a millennium later it wasn't that interesting because we'd all been put off by the bombarding ads :/ My family don't watch a lot of dark tv shows, which are mostly American here. I used to like the Mentalist and Bones and Dexter and wanted to check out Gotham but I'm not allowed to watch them ;__;
The only US shows my mum will watch are Agents of SHEILD and Star Trek reruns X'D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 07:35:11 PM »
Game of Thrones
Vikings

The few series i bother watching.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Game of Thrones
Vikings

The few series i bother watching.
Ooooh! We got to watch the opening titles as part of an assignment brief last semester and they looked great. Or, at least the title sequences did. *loves a good title sequence*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: