Author Topic: You in Year 90  (Read 33921 times)

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: You in Year 90
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
This is a really interesting thing to think About!

Let´s ignore the fact that I live nowhere near the known world for now… I think I would be a mage, given my interest in folklore and mythology of all sorts. Probably not a really useful one, I´m pretty much a complete coward. I´d still want to help though, so I guess I would do defence-magic if I was Finnish or farm-magic if I was Icelandic.

I´d definitly try to learn as many languages as possible, for no other reason than that I like doing that. Maybe I´d be a historian or a Skald as my main job and do the magic-thing on the side. Old books are always good.

As for immunity, I don´t think it really matters in the professions I named, but right now I don´t get sick easily, so I´d like to think that I would be immune.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

lumilaulu

« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2020, 02:32:31 PM »
I think I would be a mage, given my interest in folklore and mythology of all sorts. Probably not a really useful one, I'm pretty much a complete coward. I'd still want to help though, so I guess I would do defence-magic if I was Finnish.
... Onni?

I'd definitely try to learn as many languages as possible, for no other reason than that I like doing that. Maybe I'd be a historian or a Skald as my main job. Old books are always good.
Yes.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
... Onni?

Pretty much  :'D Preferably a little bit more positive...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:47:26 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

phocena

• Preferred pronouns: He/His, They/Their
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2020, 09:18:40 PM »
Of all SSSS careers, Finnish mage is the coolest!

Given my math-scientific computation background, I think I'd be a military/academic, working in Oresundsbro base by Bornholm or deciding to work in Iceland (Coastguard) and forever complaining about how cold the weather is. Alternately, I think having a Fylgjur and being able to speak to people in dreams would be amazing from a self discovery and emotional standpoint, though it's probably not very likely (hey, I can dream though).

that being said -
*inhales*
Spoiler: show
So much useful stuff to do with math in a post-apocalyptic world!
Since the internet is gone, most modern advances in mathematics will be wiped out, as academia is published mostly online. So much knowledge will be lost, meaning post-apoc mathematicians have to rediscover all this themselves(!). The most amazing find would be a paper manuscript with lost theorems- unfortunately, paper publications of academic journals are almost exclusively in university libraries, and universities are often in bigger cities, and following the rash they would have been converted into makeshift hospitals... it'd be nearly impossible to recover. Probably more likely that a manuscript is accidentally found in some mathematician's house.

It would be an amazing find though- we're talking
- weather prediction, crop yield
- ocean currents and temperature, modeling fish supply and sea beast populations
- military logistics,
- communication networks, communicating to people reliably with less resources and greater coverage
- statistical modeling e.g. predicting where and when sea beasts will attack
- modeling viral transmission (flatten the curve!)
and so much more! Some lost manuscript has the potential to save thousands of lives.
native: :usa:
rusty: :mexico:
learning: :egypt:
want to learn: :southkorea:
maybe one day: :china:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2020, 09:35:26 AM »
Cool profession you have! I remember discussing what he might usefully do postapoc with a friend who is a maths/physicist. He reckons he would be most use in constructing/reconstructing navigation tables, reworking such computer and telecommunications systems as still exist, and improving ballistics tables for artillery (after all, it was a good enough task for Leonardo da Vinci).
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2020, 07:05:39 AM »
Cool profession you have! I remember discussing what he might usefully do postapoc with a friend who is a maths/physicist. He reckons he would be most use in constructing/reconstructing navigation tables, reworking such computer and telecommunications systems as still exist, and improving ballistics tables for artillery (after all, it was a good enough task for Leonardo da Vinci).

That's one heck of a post-apocalyptic career ahead of him…
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

translunaryAnimus (TA)

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I make art sometimes! Too many personal projects.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/They
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2022, 08:22:57 AM »
Aa hard to say! I feel like I'd be one of the military people hired on to make all those information pages about trolls or go out and get some visual references of them (seeing as I'm not [particularly/i] athletic.) Can lift a good lot though!

Following that, if they didn't need any artists I'd probably be shoved into a Mikkel like role where I'm basically just picking up what the rest of any said military team can't really do, namely, cook.
Just one artist with too many projects and not enough time.

Fluent:🇬🇧 Learning:🇫🇮

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »
Don't think I've been in this thread before, though only checked back a couple of pages --

I'm a farmer. I expect I'd be a farmer if alive in SSSS year 90, also. If there's such a thing as town planning boards, I'd probably also still want to be on my town's.

And, yeah. Farming, at least any sort of diversified farming, is really complicated. You get to go to bed tired from having exercised mind and body both.

Róisín

« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2022, 04:38:41 AM »
True that, thorny. There is some overlap between what you and I do, like growing for farmers markets, but other bits of our work are different. I think both of us might do much what we do now.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2022, 10:15:41 AM »
I think you'd also be a mage, Róisín.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2022, 01:50:48 PM »
I think you'd also be a mage, Róisín.

Seconded a lot!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2022, 05:44:29 AM »
Don't think I've been in this thread before, though only checked back a couple of pages --

I'm a farmer. I expect I'd be a farmer if alive in SSSS year 90, also. If there's such a thing as town planning boards, I'd probably also still want to be on my town's.

And, yeah. Farming, at least any sort of diversified farming, is really complicated. You get to go to bed tired from having exercised mind and body both.

My older brother's currently working on my cousin's farm, and from what he says on our weekly videocalls, farming is certainly hard and complicated work! He's been chasing sheep and fixing fences and climbing inside machinery and doing all sorts of things (including accidentally injecting himself with sheep ovulation hormones while going through the second stage of artificially inseminating the ewes, and running after a group of escaped sheep through the bush at night only to realise once he'd outlasted them that he had absolutely no idea where he was - thankfully he had phone reception and was able to call my cousin to come find them). You folks who keep farms running certainly deserve our respect!

If I'm honest, I'm not really sure what I'd do in a postapocalyptic world. I'm quite good at organising people and I've got a fairly broad base of general knowledge (including some things that'd be useful in such a setting - there are certain benefits to growing up in the country) so there's a decent chance that if it were right after the apocalypse I'd probably end up trying to organise survivors into building some kind of community. If it were several decades onwards I'd probably be going into some form of academic study, though, whether it'd be looking at old-world knowledge and technology or studying the practice of magic within the SSSS world.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Róisín

« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2022, 08:34:02 AM »
Actually mage is not impossible, given the number of my family members involved in druidry, including myself. Not that I would call myself a druid, far from it, since I belong to one of the older stuffier druidic groups that insist on the full 21 years of study for that, and while I am in my 80s and have been studying this since I was 17, I still have only a bit under 17 full years of training, life having supervened in the form of university (STEM subjects), work, caring for the ancient relatives, raising my own family and earning a living for all that time. Technically I am what is called an ollave bard, about two-thirds of the way to being a druid. Also my skills are nothing dramatic, mostly involving, as my mundane work does, plants and rocks. I do a lot of work on environmental remediation, where the small skills I have can be useful.