Author Topic: You in Year 90  (Read 34420 times)

loooongtea

Re: You in Year 90
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2019, 12:32:47 AM »
I would probably spend my time being a farmer/being actively involved with sustaining my community. I don't think I have the strength to be a cleanser or a warrior.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2019, 08:23:35 PM »
Loooongtea, farmers and people who do the basic maintaining of communities are at the foundation of everything - without them there wouldn't be much of a society.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Quetanto

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: He, him, his
« Reply #137 on: April 08, 2019, 07:43:30 PM »
Skald. No question about that at all. I’d be utterly lost if I couldn’t do something with languages and/or performing.
🇨🇦 🇹🇷 Native
🇫🇷 Fluent (somewhat rusty)
🇮🇹 🇬🇷 🇯🇵 🇫🇮 🇭🇰 🇮🇳 Picking it up as I go along
(No symbols for Latin, Ancient Greek, or Inuktitut…)
:book2::book3::book4:

IntensiTea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
This thread is delightful, because I love imagining versions of myself in fictional worlds but it's not really socially acceptable in most fandoms   :'(

The obvious question is: do we mean a version of myself in the Known World/Nordic Countries, or are we assuming that there's a survivor community where the real me lives and I'm there? Because that definitely affects my answer... although now that I think about it, I do live in an area with a large Nordic demographic, so it's possible that the Nordic gods might still be available in my area, although they would probably only talk to people of Nordic bloodline and my Cantonese-Irish self is out of luck...
My humblest apologies for my American-ness.

Róisín

« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2019, 10:01:58 PM »
Now that is an interesting question.

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »
although now that I think about it, I do live in an area with a large Nordic demographic, so it's possible that the Nordic gods might still be available in my area, although they would probably only talk to people of Nordic bloodline and my Cantonese-Irish self is out of luck...
To respond to only part of the question, Cantonese and/or Irish gods would still be an option, perhaps? Not sure how strongly geography should factor into either though (I suppose it would depend on the beliefs specific to each tradition/religion?)
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Temteno

« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2019, 09:09:41 AM »
As a Finn, I would live in the Saimaa with my relatives that are there or in my childhood home on an island. It hasn't been much of a thinking to me because the situation would be almost exactly the same that it was with the Hotakainens (if not taking in account the whole extermination of their home). Would I have mage skills? Probably yeah, I can see that. Not even close to be the strongest ones, but something at least. I've had in my bloodline healers and mages of small villages. Immunity is pretty flexible and can happen to anyone, but I would like to think that I had immunity.

I wouldn't do any scouting job though. I would probably practice defense magic like Onni, but not see myself so important part of the community that I had stay and protect it. I would definitely move somewhere in Iceland and either get a military job as a small defense mage or get some research job like Siv - research and magic would be a good combo!

Parker B.

• Super-Newbie
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2020, 09:21:08 PM »
Hi, first post, but not a first time reader.

To start with, I'd probably be immune, because over the years, it's seems it's been harder and harder to knock me down. It's got to be something serious, like a broken arm or pneumonia to do me in. (Yes, I have been through both of those.)

As I have mentioned in other places, I'd probably either be a mechanic or an engineer (Designer of trains in this case.) on the Swedish railway system, but'd I'd also probably have some Finnish mage powers up my sleeve for whenever I need it.

Does that mix even make any sense? Someone who has both a mechanical and magical aptitude? No, I would not combine the two, that doesn't work. I'd use them when I need them. Also, I'd be more mechanically inclined than magically inclined.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:11:01 PM by Parker B. »

crowbarrd

• an abundance of exclamation marks
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2020, 01:09:42 AM »
Honestly saying, I'd probably be dead (I don't think I'll be immune, or very good at escaping trolls, or fighting :V) so maybe I'll be a farmer, a shopkeeper, something of that sort !!

But if I were cooler person, maybe a cleanser ! Fire and bombs !!!! >:DD
muddling around and drawing

Mariiii

« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2020, 06:41:55 AM »
I don't think I would be immune too, but I see myself either working in a farm and dreaming about adventure (but not doing anything to go on an adventure because it's scary) or being a scholar studying biology.
Native :france:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :japan:
Understand :spain:

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2020, 08:13:06 AM »
I have no clue about immunity, but I feel like I might be a magey type. I'd probably lean more towards being a skald than going out adventuring (or farming) - exploration is fun, but I'm not a big risk-taker. I'm not really one to move about much, either - although I enjoy seeing new places, I always like to have a place to come back to that I know - you find a place and make roots there, learn the 'feel' of it and its patterns, make it your own. So I'd probably do like... defensive magic? Making sure my place was safe and clear of any trolls or other nasty things, learning its patterns and using them to my advantage. And dip into a bit of that academic stuff as well - finding the history of a place, listening to people's stories, making records.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
This is an interesting thread. :)
I come to the conclusion that I love my job, because I'd be doing more or less the same things that I do today, but adapted to Y90 reality. I'd be planning the community, organizing buildings areas, water supply systems, etc... or creating better defenses and deadly traps for troll and beasts... or find ways to reuse, recycle existing things. Of course I'd also help in the library/school/community center, if I had time.

If I had magic skills and/or immunity things would be different, because I'd fell obliged to put those qualities in use for the community.

Of course that won't be the real me, because I'd have been raised in an entirely different way, so that's valid only if my conscience was magically "teleported" to that new, future body. In that case I hope the new body included the appropriate language skills... :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2020, 01:51:19 PM »
In Y90, assuming I wouldn't be mega dead (which is significantly more likely than any alternative), I would be...probably a farmer, honestly. It's a relatively simple occupation involving a lot of routine tasks and very few bothersome people around, and exhausting enough to keep stupid ideas out of my head for the most part.

Róisín

« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2020, 10:18:08 PM »
RanVor, Farming is more complex than it looks from the outside. Yes, there  is routine, and it is very necessary - the crops need be to be harvested, the cows milked, fruit trees pruned, when those things need to happen, because crops and animals run by the rhythm of the land, not by the clock or calendar, so you need to be constantly alert to changes and natural cycles. And farmers are at the total mercy of weather. Hard work, but utterly worth doing, especially if you like to eat! And farming does have the advantage of fewer people underfoot.

Grey, I think the skills of an architect in perceiving and manipulating patterns and sequences would be very useful in the Minnaverse. And communities always need people who can hold the pattern of the community in their mind and plan and organise it, with or without modern tech.

Keep Looking, since you seem to have a feel for the land in our world, I can imagine you doing protective magic in the Minnaverse. Interesting to speculate where we would all fit in.

lumilaulu

« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2020, 05:39:55 PM »
Skald. I studied languages and work with books, so it's pretty self-evident. Profoundly unmagical.