Poll

What other comic/book/movie/TV show do you want to see crossed over with SSSS?

Walking Dead
Thor (Marvel)
Planet of the Apes (Not the Tim Burton one)
The Expendables
Star Wars
Star Trek
The Matrix
World War Z
Another comic from Hiveworks (specify below)
You think I have no taste, and will specify below so I can maybe add your option to the poll.
SSSS don't need no crossover!
Classic Western

Author Topic: SSSS CROSSOVER TIME!  (Read 99231 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: SSSS CROSSOVER TIME!
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
nice idea! I love this already!
Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Myferi

« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2015, 12:45:27 AM »
I wonder, would it be possible to make a couple usable decks - one with humans (red-white or red-white-green), one for trolls (red-black)? Is this something fans even do? Balancing is probably very difficult, but at least there is enough material in the comic on the human side so far, and beasts should soon catch up. I doubt they'll ever get so diverse as the human characters, but there are workarounds, like having recently infected people on their side, for instance.

Yep, in MtG that's what we refer to as a "Tribal" deck, because it was initially used for elves and goblins. These days any deck that works best when most of the cards are of a particular subtype (human, warrior, wizard, whatever comes after the '-' in the type bar) is called a 'tribal' deck. If someone were to make a complete SSSS MtG set (which would be, at minimum, 170 cards or so) there would definitely be a human subtheme and an 'infected' subtheme, which might possibly break down into trolls, beasts etc.

Regarding Reynir, we know he's a mage for sure now, but he's not the same as a Finnish mage so that wouldn't automatically make him green. The info page said Icelandic mages have to use runes and such for their magic, which would imply knowledge (hence blue), but I'm pretty damn sure Reynir's not studied at the magic academy. He's definitely not got any black aspects since he's not selfish at all; he's too timid and wants to help everyone, so the only colour I'm sure he has is white. Not sure if he's impulsive enough for red. So... mono white? I guess we'll find out more soon.
Fluent: :latvia: :australia: :italy:
Forgotten most of: :germany:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2015, 04:22:50 AM »
Isn't it kind of risky/difficult to play when there are too many colors in a deck, though? I had a hard time playing with even 3, I never had enough mana of the right color for anything. That's why I suggested dropping the black and blue altogether for the humans (especially since they seems to apply to so few of the main characters - though blue would definitely work for the support cast). But I'm a noob, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

P__

« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2015, 06:32:42 AM »
back when I played, it was mostly 1 or 2 colors per deck, with mono cards; except one series (I think it was Mirrodin? and especially 5th dawn?) which went all the way into rainbow (or rainbow-artifact?) mode.
Then apparently since Ravnica there's a lot of bi-color or even tri-color cards. Still no more than 3 colors per deck tho, AFAIK

so to answer the question: yes, playing many colors is tough, because you'll need mana of every color (cards that bring them up help a lot). But it's doable if you're very good at deck-building

also for Reynir, since he's not technically a mage yet: flip card?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:37:40 AM by P__ »
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Wolfram

« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »
MtG player here, I like this game but it gets expensive really fast if you want to play competitively
I'm just playing "limited" format (it means that you open boosters with random cards and play only with these)

I'm thinking of other ways to be part of this community, like be a judge, sell altered cards, or in this case design a SSSS-themed extension

For the ones who didn't knew, they are five colors in Magic, and five types of lands :
White, Plains
Blue, Island
Black, Swamp
Red, Mountain
Green, Forest
Colorless, any

And we also have five flags in the SSSS logo, one for each nordic country.
So maybe we can pair them with a land/color or a combination of them
The Silent World will anyway be associed with the lack of colors, at least it's what seems logical to me

For the questions about colors in constructed decks, I've been a spectator during a kinda serious tournament yesterday, and what I can say is that most of the deck don't care about the colors they playing because :
— they use a lot of bilands (they can produce two differents colors) and fetchlands (they can search for two differents types of lands, even some bilands)
— they have lands to produce colorless mana and others to produce all the colors

But if you play in limited (like me), you will often end up with two colors because you won't have enough good cards of a single color, and playing more than two is dangerous

I'm open for suggestions about how to match countries with lands/colors

Native: ....:france:
Understand: :uk:
Learning: ..:poland:

:chap7: newbie

DarkRawen

• Rawen can do it!
« Reply #155 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Wow, this is really cool, actually. I've not played a lot of MtG, but the cards and the effects are pretty neat (:

MtG player here, I like this game but it gets expensive really fast if you want to play competitively
I'm just playing "limited" format (it means that you open boosters with random cards and play only with these)

I'm thinking of other ways to be part of this community, like be a judge, sell altered cards, or in this case design a SSSS-themed extension

For the ones who didn't knew, they are five colors in Magic, and five types of lands :
White, Plains
Blue, Island
Black, Swamp
Red, Mountain
Green, Forest
Colorless, any

And we also have five flags in the SSSS logo, one for each nordic country.
So maybe we can pair them with a land/color or a combination of them
The Silent World will anyway be associed with the lack of colors, at least it's what seems logical to me

For the questions about colors in constructed decks, I've been a spectator during a kinda serious tournament yesterday, and what I can say is that most of the deck don't care about the colors they playing because :
— they use a lot of bilands (they can produce two differents colors) and fetchlands (they can search for two differents types of lands, even some bilands)
— they have lands to produce colorless mana and others to produce all the colors

But if you play in limited (like me), you will often end up with two colors because you won't have enough good cards of a single color, and playing more than two is dangerous

I'm open for suggestions about how to match countries with lands/colors

White: Denmark, Blue: Iceland, Black: Finland, Red: Norway, Green: Sweden, maybe? I'm judging by some of the features, with Iceland being an Island, Norway having a lot of mountains and Denmark being more plains. When it comes to Finland and Sweden, I'm sort of basing them on Finland having a lot of lakes (though calling it swamps might be a bit incorrect) and Sweden having a lot of forest. I know that Finland could Green as well, though, so it's just a suggestion. (:

Myferi

« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2015, 10:55:57 PM »
Wow, this is really cool, actually. I've not played a lot of MtG, but the cards and the effects are pretty neat (:

White: Denmark, Blue: Iceland, Black: Finland, Red: Norway, Green: Sweden, maybe? I'm judging by some of the features, with Iceland being an Island, Norway having a lot of mountains and Denmark being more plains. When it comes to Finland and Sweden, I'm sort of basing them on Finland having a lot of lakes (though calling it swamps might be a bit incorrect) and Sweden having a lot of forest. I know that Finland could Green as well, though, so it's just a suggestion. (:

I like the land split. Not sure it would have any gameplay effects, but it would definitely be flavourful.

I know of no fetchlands that fetch anything apart from basic lands, but I could be forgetting some. These days most decks are two colours because of the dual lands being so available. Mono-coloured is also plausible, and because one of the recent sets featured 3-colour clans (Khans of Tarkir) heavily, some 3-colour decks are viable now too.

Good to see more MtG players emerging and putting forward ideas; we could make an awesome set :D

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2015, 02:27:05 AM »
Resurrecting this thread because it is/was Solo's birthday and I drew her an SSSS/Pushing Daisies crossover!
It took an extremely long time (the background, at least, took at least 8 hours) and it almost killed my hand, no joke.

(also please don't criticize me about the floor, I know it's skewed, thanks)

Spoiler: Whos who • show

Emil as Ned the Piemaker
Lalli as Charlotte "Chuck" Charles
Mikkel as Emerson Cod
Tuuri as Olive Snook
Sigrun as Lily Charles
Reynir as Vivian Charles

bonus: Derpkitty as Digby (see tail next to Tuuri)

Should this also go in the SSSS Art Museum?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:54:32 AM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Wolfram

« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2015, 03:02:10 AM »
"White: Denmark, Blue: Iceland, Black: Finland, Red: Norway, Green: Sweden, maybe?"
I was thinking of something similar, if everyone is ok we can start with this

"I now of no fetchlands that fetch anything apart from basic lands, but I could be forgetting some."
Well for example you can search for a Sacred Foundry with Marsh Flats because "Plains" refers to the type of land, not the name

About the new mechanics we could introduce in this set, I was thinking of a kind of "reverse sunburst" with colorless trolls, they enter the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on them for each color spent to cast them
The main idea would that the trolls are colorless and powerful, but become weak if you also use colored cards
(yeah I know it looks a lot like the first Zendikar set and the upcoming new one)
Also obviously some cards to gain control of opponent's creatures, with power/toughness modifiers
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:05:04 AM by Wolfram »

Native: ....:france:
Understand: :uk:
Learning: ..:poland:

:chap7: newbie

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »
Resurrecting this thread because it is/was Solo's birthday and I drew her an SSSS/Pushing Daisies crossover!
It took an extremely long time (the background, at least, took at least 8 hours) and it almost killed my hand, no joke.

Emil as Ned the Piemaker
Mikkel as Emerson Cod
Tuuri as Olive Snook
Sigrun as Lily Charles
Reynir as Vivian Charles

Wow, this is very cool :)
But Lalli and Emil can't touch each other then; well, Lalli wouldn't mind it, but poor Emil...
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2015, 10:11:33 AM »

I haven't seen pushing daisies (i should. i know i should) but this is amazing. I vote that you put it in the museum thread as well O:
you'll know where to find me.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »
Wow, this is very cool :)
But Lalli and Emil can't touch each other then; well, Lalli wouldn't mind it, but poor Emil...

Thanks! :D Poor Emil indeed :(

I haven't seen pushing daisies (i should. i know i should) but this is amazing. I vote that you put it in the museum thread as well O:

Watch the shoooowww
Thank you!! >v< Just posted it in the art thread!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »

Emil as Ned the Piemaker
Mikkel as Emerson Cod
Tuuri as Olive Snook
Sigrun as Lily Charles
Reynir as Vivian Charles

Oh gosh D: Don't injure yourself, Piney!
Also I saw this at like, midnight last night while battling a headache so it took me forever to figure out who Sigrun and Reynir were supposed to be... until I clued in like OOOH RIGHT THE AUNTS.

<3 this is great though, I love it a lot!
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »
Oh gosh D: Don't injure yourself, Piney!
Also I saw this at like, midnight last night while battling a headache so it took me forever to figure out who Sigrun and Reynir were supposed to be... until I clued in like OOOH RIGHT THE AUNTS.

<3 this is great though, I love it a lot!

Yayyy, got the Solovei seal of approval! ;D I'll admit though that Reynir isn't particularly recognizable as Vivian.
...I think my hand is fine now, but I won't draw today just in case. :P

Myferi

« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2015, 11:31:52 PM »
"I now of no fetchlands that fetch anything apart from basic lands, but I could be forgetting some."
Well for example you can search for a Sacred Foundry with Marsh Flats because "Plains" refers to the type of land, not the name

About the new mechanics we could introduce in this set, I was thinking of a kind of "reverse sunburst" with colorless trolls, they enter the battlefield with a -1/-1 counter on them for each color spent to cast them
The main idea would that the trolls are colorless and powerful, but become weak if you also use colored cards
(yeah I know it looks a lot like the first Zendikar set and the upcoming new one)
Also obviously some cards to gain control of opponent's creatures, with power/toughness modifiers

Ah, I didn't even know that fetchlands could fetch shocklands and such. Since it never occurred in Standard I never played that.

That's an intriguing mechanic for the trolls, I like it. We should see if we can come up with others before committing to one in particular. I'd like to know more about trolls and their abilities before deciding, possibly.

Here's an idea for the Cat Tank! (Click on image to make it bigger.)

The concept is that it's a safe house, but the useful abilities cannot be used since they're inside a sealed tank after all. Not sure if any artifacts in the actual game have ever allowed multiple equips, but hopefully it's OK by the rules.

Feedback is awesome :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:35:34 PM by Myferi »